JUL

Flavor Pairings for Feta Cheese

Uncategorized | 16 comments

Are you under the assumption that Feta only goes in Greek recipes? True, Feta is traditionally made in Greece and is often found paired with spinach, olives, tomatoes, or cucumbers, but you don’t have to limit yourself to just those flavor combinations.

Breakfast Burritos

We had these black bean breakfast burritos for dinner last night. I top them with feta cheese instead of cheddar or jack. The feta goes great with the salsa, eggs, black beans, and cilantro.

I often use Athenos Feta as a substitute for Queso Fresco, a mild white cheese used in many Mexican or Spanish recipes. A few recipes under my Mexican Food category here on goodLife {eats} call for feta cheese. I love the tangy taste and the crumbly texture. It is perfect for sprinkling on top of tacos, scrambled eggs (my favorite is with salsa, cilantro, and feta), and Mexican inspired salads. For these recipes I always use Traditional Feta, but Mild would also work great.

Don’t get stuck in a rut. One of my favorite books for exploring flavor combinations is The Flavor Bible. Below are a few suggested flavor matches for Feta. I never would have thought to pair it with watermelon!

• red bell peppers
  • pita bread
  • ricotta
  • chickpeas
  • dill
  • garlic
  • grapes
  • lemon
  • olives, black or Greek
  • pasta
  • watermelon

What flavors do you love to pair with feta? Do you stick to traditional or do you mix things up and experiment? I have a big watermelon in the fridge, so I’m going to do some experimenting with that. I have always been a fan of sweet and salty paired together.

Jessica @ How Sweet - July 14, 2010 @ 7:05 pm

I have been eating feta with watermelon and I love it. It is so refreshing!

Liz - July 14, 2010 @ 7:14 pm

Katie, I am also a huge fan of feta. During the summer months I love watermelon feta salad. I always add chopped mint or chopped basil to the feta and watermelon! So good!

Brooke - July 14, 2010 @ 7:17 pm

I love lemon and feta! Sooo summery…

Tessa - July 14, 2010 @ 7:19 pm

Katie, I love the flavor bible! I just bought 2 packages of Athenos Feta to use for spinach & feta puff pastries and linguine with shrimp and feta :)

Mosaic Geek - July 14, 2010 @ 7:30 pm

Feta is surprisingly delicious on a baked potato! It's a nice lower-fat alternative to sour cream and/or cheddar, too. If I'm extra lazy I'll get a baked potato from Wendy's $1 menu and spice it up with some feta & pepper. Yum!

Anne - July 14, 2010 @ 7:59 pm

I just love Feta. I am trying to maintain my weight and adding feta to low fat recipes adds some zing and fullness. Yum!

Allison M. - July 14, 2010 @ 8:08 pm

I love feta cheese and using it with every meal I can. I roast chickpeas in a little extra virgin olive oil and then sprinkle feta on top. delicious.

Maria - July 14, 2010 @ 8:09 pm

I love the Flavor Bible and Feta cheese! Great post!

shutterbean - July 14, 2010 @ 8:17 pm

I like adding feta to arugula & blueberry/strawberry salads. It adds a nice sharp bite, and the fruit help balance out the pepperyness of the arugula!

The Wife of a Dairyman ~ Nancy - July 14, 2010 @ 9:44 pm

I like the idea of feta in a burrito…sounds tasty. I've had a watermelon and feta salad and the combo is fabulous:)

Anonymous - July 14, 2010 @ 10:18 pm

i love feta with eggs and spinach and feta with strawberries

kaitlinwithhoney - July 15, 2010 @ 1:55 am

I am really intrigued by the idea of combining feta and watermelon! That is definitely a combination I will be trying in the near future.

Cookin' Canuck - July 15, 2010 @ 1:38 pm

Do those burritos ever look good! We pair feta with a lot of foods – in salads, on burgers, with cantaloupe. The Flavor Bible is a must-have book for anyone who wants to explore different flavor combinations. I got it for Christmas and I refer to it almost everyday.

Jenn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) - July 15, 2010 @ 6:22 pm

I've only had feta a few times in my life, even though I love cheese. How strange of me, lol.Jenn

best cook - July 15, 2010 @ 7:10 pm

feta cheese is really the best and my favorite cheese too!!

Kathy - Panini Happy - July 17, 2010 @ 11:06 pm

You know I love The Flavor Bible. :-) Feta and watermelon is definitely fabulous. I was thinking about trying a roasted red pepper & feta bruschetta recipe soon (glad to see red peppers show up first on the flavor list!).