I pulled off the remaining leaves from my three basil plants the other day. It has gotten quite cool here (loving that!), so I didn’t think the plants would be around much longer. We are dipping down to around 40 degrees at night lately.
I had just purchased a big container of sun dried tomatoes as well as a box of organic baby spinach so I decided to whip up a batch of Sun Dried Tomato Spinach Pesto sauce using those ingredients and the last of the basil.
Pesto is such a fun accent to many recipes and meals. Unfortunately, I am allergic to pine nuts which are a traditional component to pesto sauce recipes. I have resigned myself to making pesto at home a few times a year since I am unable to enjoy it most of the time when we go out to eat.
I have to say, I’m a big fan of this recipe for Sun Dried Tomato Spinach Pesto. It is so useful in the kitchen. Just take a look at all the fun ways you can use pesto.
5 Easy Ways to use Pesto:
1. As a sandwich spread. Pesto is a great way to dress up a sandwich and give it a little something special.
2. In place of pizza sauce for an exciting pizza recipe. Pizza sauce doesn’t always have to be a basic tomato sauce.
3. As a spread or dip for a rustic Italian bread. Consider adding roasted vegetables and a sprinkling of cheese on top of the pesto topped bread for a delicious appetizer.
4. Add a dollop to a bowl of soup. This is perfect in the winter months when you’d like a little something leftover from summer added for extra flavor. Freeze pesto in ice cube trays and drop one frozen cube in the center of a hot bowl of soup. This also helps cool too-hot soup off!
5. Toss it with pasta for a quick meal. If you have more time, add grilled or sauteed vegetables and/or your favorite source of protien. Grilled chicken with pesto and pasta is awesome!
I have raved about my Blendtec Blender before. I love how powerful it is and how it doesn’t leave chunks in my smoothies. Plus, it looks attractive on the counter!
Today I am so excited to partner with Blendtec to be able to giveaway the same blender that I purchased several months ago to one GoodLife Eats reader, plus you will also get their handy Twister Jar. Make sure you scroll down to see the giveaway rules.
Sun Dried Tomato Spinach Pesto
Total Time: 5 minutes
1/4 cup olive oil
1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
3 cloves garlic
3 ounce baby spinach leaves
1 ounce fresh basil leaves
1/4 cup walnuts or shelled sunflower seeds
3 tablespoons fresh parmesan or romano cheese, grated
1/2 cup sun-dried tomatoes (drained if packed in oil)
1/4 - 1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
Add oil, lemon juice, garlic, spinach and basil to jar and push basil down into oil and secure lid. Press "Pulse" 6-8 times until basil is roughly chopped.
Add the remaining ingredients in order listed and secure lid. Press "Pulse" 4-6 times until purée texture is reached.
If using the Twister Jar, simply add ingredients and twist the lid counter-clockwise while the blend cycle is running. This twisting motion forces the ingredients from the sides of the jar back into the blade, achieving a perfect blend every time.
Pesto will keep covered in refrigerator up to 3 days. For long-term storage, freeze in small portions using an ice cube tray and transfer the frozen portions to a freezer safe zip top bag.
- Large nearly 3-quart total capacity BPA-free jar
- Large jar with precision tuned 4″ blade package
- All-in-one appliance that makes smoothies, fresh juice, ice cream, milkshakes, cappuccinos, margaritas, soups, sauces, bread dough, dressings, salsas, and more!
- Blendtec’s newest innovation, the Twister Jar, is designed to blend your thickest recipes such as: Nut Butters, Hummus, Baby Food, Dips, Thick Shakes, Dressings and more! Best of all, it’s compatible with all Blendtec Home Blenders.
Giveaway Prize (1 winner):
Thank you Blendtec Blenders for providing this giveaway!
- Check out Blendtec’s blenders and tell me about a feature or specific model that appeals to you.
- Contest ends October 27, 2012 at 11:59 p.m. PST.
- Contest open to US States only.
- Winner will be chosen via random.org and will have 3 days to respond before disqualified and a new winner chosen.
Optional Extra Entries:
An additional entry can be earned by doing the following. Leave a separate comment for each of your entries.
1. [You may do this DAILY - leave a comment each time you tweet] Follow goodlifeeats and Blendtec on Twitter and ReTweet the following message: I just entered a @Blendtec Blender ($454 value ) #giveaway from @goodlifeeats http://su.pr/6Gx7t2
3. Share this post on Facebook. Come back here and let me know you did.
4. Follow GoodLife Eats on Pinterest and Pin this recipe. Come back here and let me know that you did.
5. Subscribe to GoodLife Eats.
I was provided with review product, however I previously owned a Blendtec prior to running this giveaway. All fulfillment is provided by Blendtec. All opinions and experiences with the product remain my own opinion.