Turkey with Artichoke and Sun Dried Tomato
This Turkey with Artichoke and Sun Dried Tomato is a great way to get creative with your sandwiches!
So bread has kind of been the theme this week, huh?
Then I made Homemade Croutons with that very same baguette.
So many delicious recipes that you can make using a simple baguette.
I love to eat gourmet sandwiches, but it’s not exactly inexpensive to head over to a local deli or diner on a weekly basis.
Instead, I make gourmet sandwiches at home using baguette, or other homemade artisan style bread.
In fact, I don’t really like to make sandwiches on true sandwich bread very often.
Unless it is traditional grilled cheese, or almond butter and jelly.
It’s hard for me to get excited about a basic ham and cheese sandwich, so I often use a few of these tips to change things up in my sandwiches.
Lunch is much more exciting this way!
5 Simple Ways to Dress up a Sandwich
1. Use non-traditional bread.
Whether it is with baguette, a wrap, focaccia, or a bagel you can add a little more style to your sandwich if you stray from sandwich bread.
If you can, make your own breads.
It’s not as hard as it seems and will save you precious money.
Bakery bread is a pretty penny.
2. Spread it with something other than mayo and mustard.
Aioli, pesto, tapenade, guacamole, herbed cream cheese, or Italian dressing are some of my favorites.
3. Grill, toast, or broil it.
This can change a lot: melted cheese, a hot sandwich, crispy bread, all of these change the feel of the sandwich.
4. Use out of ordinary fillings.
Experiment with different cheese, vegetables, and meats (or lack of for vegetable loaded sandwiches).
Consider roasting or caramelizing onions and mushrooms instead of using fresh for different flavors.
Look around in your fridge for what you already have on hand and you’ll be inspired to create new combination.
I didn’t purchase any of the ingredients listed in this recipe for the sandwich (other than the turkey).
Sandwiches are a great way to use up remnant ingredients from previous meals.
5. When all else fails, take inspiration from your favorite deli menu.
Most deli sandwiches are not that difficult to recreate at home.
A simple glance at the ingredient list or sandwich name can give you all sorts of inspiration, and may even spark a completely new idea.
This sandwich features turkey, sun dried tomatoes, spinach, artichoke hearts and fresh mozzarella slices.
Instead of using boring mayo and mustard, I dressed the sandwich up with a basil Dijon aioli.
Portion the sandwich in your preferable size.
A one pound baguette is best divided into four sandwiches.
Serve this sandwich for lunch, or for dinner with fresh fruit and Sweet Potato Fries with Garlic and Parmesan, a perfect break from the winter doldrums.
Did you love this post?
Sign up for Good Life Eats email updates and never miss another update!
For the Sandwich
- 1 Individual Sized Baguette
- 4 slices Turkey Lunch Meat (smoked or roasted)
- 1/2 cup Artichoke Hearts
- 2 tablespoons Sundried Tomatoes, sliced in thin strips
- 1/4 cup Fresh Baby Spinach
- 1/4 cup Fresh Mozzarella Slices
- 1 tablespoon Basil Dijion Aioli
For the Aioli
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 3-5 large fresh basil
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- Combine all ingredients for the Aioli in a small food processor and pulse until the basil is chopped and the ingredients are combined. This will last in the refrigerator for about 3 days.
- Cut the baguette in half from end to end. Then cut it into individually sized sandwich sections.
- Spread the aioli on the inside of the baguette, top and bottom or just one side - whatever amount you like. Layer fresh spinach leaves, mozzarella slices, turkey, artichoke hearts, and sundried tomatoes on to the bottom half of the sandwich. Top with the lid to the baguette.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition InformationYield 1 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 654Total Fat 32gSaturated Fat 11gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 19gCholesterol 166mgSodium 855mgCarbohydrates 41gFiber 7gSugar 4gProtein 51g