Creating this Easy Breakfast Quesadilla Recipe
Yesterday was my birthday. I received lots of sweet messages on Facebook and Twitter, many of them conveying something like: “I hope someone else is doing the cooking for a change!” “Hope you’re eating something yummy tonight!” “Have a delicious day!”
In truth it was a very nice day. I still did the cooking for dinner (these Breakfast Burrito Quesadillas and a fruit salad), and most of the clean up, but it was yummy and I did have a delicious day. The only thing missing was the cake. I never bake my own birthday cake.
My husband was amazing and took the kids to school and picked them up, which on a normal day would have been nice but was incredibly generous seeing as he didn’t get home from his work trip until 3 am that morning. That gave me an extra 1 1/2 hours of kid-free time – a real treat after being on my own for a few days.
A friend took me out for breakfast and then I did a little shopping. I had a gift certificate to The Body Shop to redeem so I treated myself to some fun, new things. I also got a new purse for spring/summer.
Nothing fancy, but a nice relaxing day spent with people special to me.
What I Love About Breakfast Quesadillas
I first made this recipe for Breakfast Burrito Quesadilla when my husband was out of town recently. I had originally set out to make a scrambled egg breakfast burrito but somewhere along the way I decided that wasn’t really what I wanted. The flavors, the ingredients – yes. But not the end result.
Burrito just didn’t sound right. But a Quesadilla with lots of melty cheese and all the burrito filling inside. YUM. That was what I wanted.
I almost always have eggs in the house. Scrambled eggs are a quick base for lots of simple, yet still satisfying meals. It is so much harder to cook dinner when I’m the only parent in the house. So I do a lot of easy things, like quesadillas or breakfast for dinner.
This Egg and Ham Quesadilla is perfect for days like that, or times when you just want something easy that still tastes great. Also pretty convenient when you have Easter Ham in the freezer that needs using up!
What is In a Breakfast Quesadilla
This easy recipe for cheesy quesadillas with egg and ham has super simple ingredients and there are many different ways to you can adapt this recipe to your own liking. You’ll love how this breakfast quesadilla recipe helps you get outside your typical breakfast routine. Here’s what you’ll need:
- Black Pepper
- Green Bell Pepper
- Green Onion
- Flour Tortillas
For the complete ingredient list and detailed instructions, scroll to the bottom of this post for the FREE printable recipe card.
Substitutes to Try in this Recipe
There are so many different delicious ingredients you can use in these breakfast quesadillas. Here are a few different ideas if you’d like to mix things up!
- breakfast sausage, black beans, or crispy bacon bits – work well in place of ham in these breakfast quesadillas.
- other colored bell peppers – this recipe uses green peppers, but you can use whatever color you like, or a mix of different colors.
- green onions are also a great addition.
- Colby pepper jack or colby jack are my preferred cheese choices, but Mexican blend cheese, cheddar, Monterrey jack, or regular pepper jack all taste great!
What is the Best Tortilla To Use in this Recipe?
I prefer to use taco sized flour tortillas. I suppose you could try corn tortillas, but I haven’t tested that option. I would recommend cooking corn tortillas so they’re a bit crispy.
Want to make your own tortillas? Try this recipe for homemade tortillas (flour tortillas).
What to Serve with Easy Breakfast Quesadillas
Here are our favorite toppings to serve with this easy breakfast quesadilla recipe:
Try these Breakfast Quesadillas at Home!
Next time you’re looking for an easy breakfast idea, give these ham and egg quesadillas a try! Did your whole family love this easy meal? Leave a comment below and give it a review for others to see what you thought of this great recipe.
On Instagram? Share your photo and tag me with @goodlifeeats and #goodlifeeatsrecipes. I’d love to see your photo of this easy breakfast quesadilla recipe!
Get More Recipes via Email
Did you love this recipe? Sign up to receive Good Life Eats Email Updates and never miss another recipe!
- 4 whole eggs, preferably organic
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/4 cup green bell pepper, diced
- 4 taco sized flour tortillas
- 4 ounces Sargento® Natural Blends™ Deli Style Sliced Colby-Pepper Jack Cheese
- 3 green onions, sliced thin
- 1/2 cup ham, diced
For the scrambled eggs:
- In a medium bowl, combine the eggs, salt, pepper, and milk. Using a whisk, whip the eggs by hand until they are combined.
- Add half of the butter to a medium saute pan and melt over medium heat. Add the egg mixture and the bell pepper. Using a wooden spoon or heat-safe spatula, push the eggs from one side of the pan to the other until they are cooked, about 2 minutes.
For the quesadilla:
- Divide egg mixture between two tortillas, layering the egg mixture on top, followed by half of the cheese, green onion, and ham. Top each tortilla with one of the remaining tortillas.
- In a skillet, melt the remaining butter over medium heat. Add one quesadilla at a time to the pan, cooking until golden and brown (about 3-4 minutes per side), then flip and cook on the other side. Repeat with remaining quesadilla.
- Cut cooked quesadillas into 6 wedges and serve immediately with salsa for dipping (if desired).
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition InformationYield 4 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 518Total Fat 31gSaturated Fat 15gTrans Fat 1gUnsaturated Fat 13gCholesterol 264mgSodium 1239mgCarbohydrates 31gFiber 4gSugar 3gProtein 30g
GoodLifeEats.com offers recipe nutritional information as a courtesy and is an estimate only. This information comes from online calculators. Although GoodLifeEats.com makes every effort to provide accurate information, these figures are only estimates.