Chocolate Cupcakes with Raspberry Buttercream
These Chocolate Sour Cream Cupcakes are topped with a bright and delicious Raspberry Cheesecake Buttercream.
I’ve got one last Valentine’s Day recipe to share with you.
Can you believe Cupid’s day is in just a couple days?
The kids and I have had so much fun making new recipes to share with you for this fun holiday.
I just love hearts and treats and special meals.
Make sure you scroll all the way to the bottom of the post – I’ve got two sets of FREE Valentine printables for your downloading pleasure.
These Chocolate Sour Cream Cupcakes with Raspberry Cheesecake Buttercream (that’s a mouthful, isn’t it?) is our new favorite cupcake recipe.
We’ve made them twice in the past couple of weeks and just had to share them with you.
The cupcake recipe makes about 30 Chocolate Sour Cream Cupcakes with Raspberry Cheesecake Buttercream.
If you don’t want that many, use this handy tip for how to measure partial eggs to make less, or make the whole batch and freeze some for later.
These chocolate cucpakes freeze well unfrosted in gallon sized Ziploc bags.
It’s always nice to discover something like these Chocolate Sour Cream Cupcakes with Raspberry Cheesecake Buttercream hanging out in the freezer a few weeks after you’ve made them.
(related: Kitchen Tip: Cupcake Piping Tricks)
I’m actually really glad that Valentine’s day falls on a Monday this year.
Logan and Madeline are both at school that day and my husband will pick them up on this way home.
I will have the whole day to get things done at home, clean up the house and prepare something fun and delicious for dinner.
My husband and I will follow tradition and eat after the kids go to bed, but I think I’ll be making Heart Shaped Personal Pan Pizzas for the kids.
Our Valentine’s Day Menu:
- Filet Mignon in Red Wine Balsamic Reduction
- Fennel, Orange, and Pomegranate Salad
- Roasted Baby Potato Medley
- Chocolate Cupcakes with Raspberry Cheesecake Buttercream
Other Valentine’s Day Main Dish Ideas:
- Beef Tenderloin with Pasta and Creamy Gorgonzola Sauce
- Pasta Alfredo with Broccoli and Mushrooms
- Shrimp Scampi with Tomatoes and Artichokes
What is on your Valentine’s day menu? Are you waiting to celebrate on Monday or did you celebrate over the weekend?
Free Printable Valentine’s
I’ve got a couple fun, free printable Valentine’s that the kids can have fun with.
Print these out on white card-stock to use as classroom Valentine gifts for Monday parties.
There are two sets: cards and bookmarks.
Click on each to open the high-res set.
Right Click>Save As to save to your computer and then print.
Valentine’s Day Cards
Valentine’s Day Bookmarks
p.s. Thanks, Shaina, for the awesome quote!
For the Chocolate Cupcakes
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups cake flour
- 1 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 3 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 1/2 cup milk
- 1 vanilla bean, seeds only
Raspberry Cheesecake Buttercream
- 3/4 cup (1 1/2 stick) butter, softened but not warm
- 1/2 cup (4 ounces) cream cheese, softened but not warm
- 5 cups powdered sugar, or until desired consistency is reached
- 4 ounces frozen (or fresh) raspberries, thawed, drained, and divided
- 1 vanilla bean (seeds only)
For the Chocolate Cupcakes:
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Line muffin tins with cupcake cups or grease using nonstick cooking spray.
- Melt the chocolate in the microwave, in 15 second intervals, making sure to stir in between.
- Set aside to cool down for a bit.
- Sift together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat the eggs and sugar for 5 minutes, until it is pale and thick.
- Add in the butter.
- Mix until combined.
- Add in the melted chocolate.
- Now, add in the sour cream and vanilla.
- Beat until well incorporated.
- Add the flour mixture and milk in alternating increments and beat until smooth.
- Divide batter into the cupcake tins. This batter made about 30 cupcakes for me.
- Bake for 18-25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and let cool.
For the Raspberry Cheesecake Buttercream:
- Cream butter and cream cheese in electric mixer for 1-2 minutes until fluffy.
- Slowly add 1 cup sugar and beat until smooth.
- Add half of the raspberries and mix until combined.
- Add remaining powdered sugar, 1/2 cup at a time, and beat until well incorporated.
- Add vanilla seeds and the remaining half of the raspberries and mix at medium-high speed until light and fluffy (2-3 minutes).
- If needed, add more sugar as necessary to achieve proper consistency.
- Chill in the refrigerator for 30 minutes before frosting cupcakes if you'd like it to hold it's shape.
- Pipe or spread onto cooled cupcakes.
adapted from Solar System Birthday Party Cupcakes
- Stand Mixer
- Hand Mixer
- Mixing Bowls
- Measuring Cups
- Measuring Spoon Set
- Spatula Set
- Muffin Pan
- Gel Food Coloring
- Disposable Pastry Bags
- Kootek 42 Pieces Cupcake Decorating Kits
- Mini Valentines Hearts Sprinkles
- Valentine's Nonpareils
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 30 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 267 Total Fat: 10g Saturated Fat: 5g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 3g Cholesterol: 41mg Sodium: 225mg Carbohydrates: 43g Fiber: 1g Sugar: 30g Protein: 4g
Vanilla Cupcakes with Chocolate Buttercream and Fresh Raspberry Sauce
Vanilla Cupcakes with Chocolate Buttercream and Fresh Raspberry Sauce are the perfect combo of a fluffy, light vanilla cupcake, rich chocolate buttercream, and a tangy, sweet fresh raspberry sauce.Continue Reading
Easy Vanilla Cut-Out Cookies
Easy Vanilla Cut-Out Cookies for Valentine's Day are a fun project for kids to do to celebrate Valentine's Day.They will love helping cut out the dough and decorating the finished cookies.Get the Recipe
Simplest Homemade Fudgy Brownies
Easy Homemade Fudgy Brownies are the perfect quick dessert to whip up at home. They only take a few minutes and totally satisfy your chocolate cravings. Just like the recipe promises, they're easy! Plus, I bet you have all the ingredients on hand.Get the Recipe
Valentine's Day Activity Round Up
With kids at home, this February holiday can be a day focused on family fun and connections. I've pulled together a collection here of kid friendly Valentine snacks, activities, and treats that will inspire memorable holiday moments with the little ones we love so much.Continue Reading
Cherry Vanilla Cupcakes for Valentine's Day
These cute Cherry Vanilla Cupcakes have bits of real maraschino cherry in the bright pink Cherry Vanilla Buttercream. They're the perfect treat for Valentine's Day.Continue Reading
Chocolate Cupcakes with Pink Cream Cheese Frosting
A simple and moist chocolate cupcake recipe with a fail proof cream cheese frosting colored pink for Valentine's Day.Get the Recipe
Chocolate Sour Cream Cupcakes with Raspberry Cheesecake Buttercream
These Chocolate Sour Cream Cupcakes are topped with a bright and delicious Raspberry Cheesecake Buttercream.Get the Recipe