NOV

Cherry and Tangerine Oatmeal

Breakfast and Brunch, Healthy Eating, Oatmeal | 23 comments

It’s funny how I’d consider this recipe for Cherry and Tangerine Oatmeal to be one of my favorite breakfast recipes, but the recipe hasn’t yet made it onto my blog after a year of blogging. And I think I’ve only had it once the past year. I guess that happens sometimes when you love trying and creating new recipes, but it’s fun to remember old favorites and get them back into the rotation.

This recipe was my first introduction to steel cut oats. They’re much more textured than regular oatmeal and have a bit of a crunch. I always love breakfast recipes that almost taste too good to be breakfast, but are really good for you, and these oats are another one of those kind of recipes. My only problem is remembering to mix it up the night before. Last night, that’s all I could remember. I went downstairs to grab a prescription I had just picked up, but while down there I saw this recipe sitting out on the counter. I decided I’d throw it together really quick while I had a minute. After cleaning up, I went back upstairs wondering why I had originally gone downstairs in the first place. This morning I was so glad I had gotten sidetracked from my original task just long enough to do the prep work for this delicious Cherry and Tangerine Oatmeal. I can’t promise that it’s this recipe, but I’ve been feeling energetic and full of positivity all day. I’m convinced that starting the morning with a fabulous breakfast is a contributing factor.

Cherry and Tangerine Oatmeal
adapted from Better Homes & Gardens

• 1 cup steel cut oats
  • 1 cup dried tart cherries
  • 2 tsp finely shredded tangerine peel or orange peel
  • 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
  • 1/8 tsp salt
  • Dash ground nutmeg
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 2 cups milk
  • 2 Tbsp. butter
  • Milk (optional)
  • 4 tsp raw sugar (turbinado) or granulated sugar
  • 1/4 cup almonds, toasted and chopped

In a nonmetal bowl combine oats, cherries, tangerine peel, cinnamon, salt, nutmeg, and vanilla. Stir in milk; cover and chill for 8 to 24 hours.

To serve, transfer oatmeal mixture to a medium saucepan. Heat just to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes or until oatmeal is done, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat. Stir in butter until melted. If desired, add additional milk to make desired consistency. Spoon into 4 bowls; sprinkle with sugar and nuts. Serve with additional milk, if desired. Makes 4 servings.

Amanda - November 02, 2009 @ 11:49 pm

Oh wow that's gorgeous! I bet it's fantastic!

Amy J in SC - November 03, 2009 @ 12:36 am

That's just too easy. I would've thought there was more to it than that – why wouldn't I do this every night? The combinations you could use are endless too. You've got my mind thinking…

Jenn in GA - November 03, 2009 @ 12:41 am

just wondering if you cd sub old-fashioned oats, like you suggested for the pumpkin pie oatmeal, for the steel cut? dried cherries are my fav!

Barbara Bakes - November 03, 2009 @ 1:37 am

Such a fabulous, easy recipe! I need to buy some oats!

Jamie - November 03, 2009 @ 1:51 am

Wow, that looks amazing!!! Thanks for sharing!

Katie @ goodLife {eats} - November 03, 2009 @ 2:03 am

Jenn in GA – I don't know about doing it overnight like this with the old-fashioned oats. But I think if you want to do a baked oatmeal like the pumpkin pie oatmeal, these amounts should work fine. Mix it all together (except the almonds – sprinkle those after baking) and follow the baking time & temp on the Pumpkin Pie Oatmeal recipe.•1 cup old fashioned oats, not quick cook•1 c dried cherries•1/2 tsp cinnamon•dash nutmeg•2 tsp tangerine zest•1/8 tsp salt•1 tsp vanilla•2 Tbs butter, softened•1 1/2 cup milk•4 tsp raw sugar•1/4 c chopped almonds

Dana - November 03, 2009 @ 3:07 am

My kids love oatmeal. It never occored to me that it could be a good way to get some nuts and fruit into them. Thanks for the idea!

Lisa @ Stop and Smell the Chocolates - November 03, 2009 @ 7:13 am

Sounds so yummy and hearty! You really make me want to come to your house for breakfast – LOL!

Jenn in GA - November 03, 2009 @ 11:58 am

thanks, katie! i'm off work tomorrow and may give it a try!

Margie - November 03, 2009 @ 2:14 pm

I love steel cut oats, but have never thought to add orange zest. Great idea, can't wait to give it a try. Does the overnight soak affect final texture?

chakhlere - November 03, 2009 @ 3:09 pm

That's a perfect and healthy breakfast. I loved this combo.

Tasty Eats At Home - November 03, 2009 @ 4:27 pm

You know, you've inspired me to stop and write down my recipe for oatmeal. Oatmeal has always been "good" for breakfast, but lately, I've added some things to it that have made it one of my favorite breakfasts to eat. Your oatmeal sounds so delicious though, especially with the orange peel, I might have to try that too!

Cristie - November 03, 2009 @ 5:13 pm

This looks so good I can almost taste it through the screen. I'm starting mine right now for tomorrow.

KreatedByKelly - November 06, 2009 @ 1:18 pm

OMG!!! I cannot wait to try this one! I eat oatmeal or whole grain cereal (the hot kind) almost every day. I love trying new combinations of fruits and whatnots with it! Thanks for the awesome blog :)

sassy stephanie - February 16, 2010 @ 12:40 am

Ok, you've made me an addict. I made this for Saturday's bfast and my hubs and I both loved it. I am soaking a batch now for the morning. I'm CRAVING it!

jenna - March 11, 2010 @ 8:41 pm

love this! bookmarking it so i have it handy for next years tangerine harvest. i'm always looking for ways to get the antioxidants from the peel into my body, and not in the trash!

jenna - March 11, 2010 @ 8:43 pm

love this! bookmarking it so i have it handy for next year's tangerine harvest. always looking for ways to get all the antioxidants in the tangerine peel into my body and not the trash! if you'd like me to link this to my what to do with whole orange puree post let me know.

DawnK - July 14, 2010 @ 3:29 am

It's in the fridge now! Can't wait to try it in the morning. Just used orange zest, since it's summer and I don't think we'd find a tangerine. It'll be something hearty to eat, in the morning, before we head out to the farmer's market.

DawnK - July 14, 2010 @ 3:14 pm

Yummy! Mixed it last night and ate this morning. Everyone in my family loved it. Was skeptical that it would cook up that fast, but it did! We will be making this again and might try it with Craisins in the future, too.

Sharon - August 13, 2011 @ 6:34 pm

My first attempt at steel cut oatmeal . . . It was delicious. I don’t know if I’ll ever make it another way! Ok, I’ll try the apple pie recipe next.

Rachel J. - June 04, 2013 @ 9:21 pm

After making this for the last 3 years- I thought I would let you know this is my FAVORITE way to eat steel cut oats! I think it deserves a shout out.