Perfect Baked Potatoes Kitchen Tip
Making a baked potato, thinking the potato is done and then when you cut into it the middle is still hard is really annoying. That’s what happens when I toss the potatoes into the oven and don’t really pay attention to what I am doing or how long they’re cooking. No, I want a perfect baked potato.
I feel the baked potato and think they’re done, but they aren’t really. I’ve come up with a strategy that insures I don’t deal with an imperfect baked potato, so I thought that I’d share those methods for today’s kitchen tip. Here’s a (in my book) fool-proof way for a perfect, crispy on the outside and fluffy on the inside baked potato.
The first method for baking potatoes assumes that you have plenty of time, you’re not in a rush and you’ve planned ahead. The second way, a variation of the first, produces equally delicious results in a fraction of the time. For those days when you’re a little less than organized. Which probably happens here more often than I’d care to admit.
How To Make a Perfect Baked Potato:
The “I’ve got time…” method for a Perfect Baked Potato:
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
2. Start with organic russet potatoes of the large baking variety. Wash, scrub, and dry the potatoes.
3. Optional: brush each side of the potato with olive oil. Sprinkle lightly with sea salt.
4. Poke holes on all sides with the point of a sharp knife or fork.
5. Bake at 375 degrees F for 75-90 minutes.
- This can vary depending on the size of your baked potato and the altitude at which you live, so you will still need to test for doneness and find what cook time works best for you.
The “I’m short on time” method for a Perfect Baked Potato:
1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
2. Start with an organic russet potato of the large baking variety. Wash, scrub, and dry the potato.
3. Poke holes on all sides with the point of a sharp knife or fork. Microwave the potatoes, up to 4 at a time, on full power for 4 minutes.
4. Turn potato over and microwave for 4 more minutes.
5. Optional: brush each side of the potato with olive oil. Sprinkle lightly with sea salt.
6. Then, bake the microwaved potato in the 450 degree F preheated oven for 20 minutes.
Delicious perfect baked potato recipes for your inspiration:
- Loaded Baked Potato Soup
- Baked Potato with Balsamic Caramelized Onion and Mushroom
- Pizza Baked Potato: Two Favorite Foods are Better than One
- BBQ Chicken Baked Potato with Hidden Cauliflower Mash
Do you have any special tricks for cooking baked potatoes or a favorite way to serve them?
Don’t forget to head over to Butternut Squash, Pomegranate + Roquefort Salad to enter to win an autographed copy of Deliciously Organic, by Carrie Vitt