Baked Potato Soup
This Baked Potato Soup from Cooking Light was absolutely perfect. It is simple and comes together incredibly fast with inexpensive ingredients.
You can cut additional time off the prep if you microwave the potatoes instead of baking them (Related: How to Bake Potatoes). Or, if you’re thinking ahead of time you can wrap the potatoes in foil and bake them in the crock-pot until tender.
The day before Christmas left us busy with errands, wrapping presents, and plans for a low key Christmas Eve meal. Something hearty and quick, but still satisfying.
Simple meals are sometimes best when you want to spend more time with family and less time cooking and cleaning.
Combine the pure comfort of a loaded baked potato with the warming power of a bowl of hot soup and you have a perfect winter meal. We were all warm and full after one bowl.
Hope you all had a Merry Christmas!
Did you love this post?
Sign up for Good Life Eats email updates and never miss another update!
- 4 baking potatoes (2 1/2 pounds)
- 2 Tbs butter
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 6 cups 2% reduced-fat milk
- 4 ounces shredded cheddar cheese, plus extra for garnish
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 3/4 cup chopped green onions, divided
- 10 slices center cut bacon, cooked and crumbled
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Pierce potatoes with a fork; bake at 400° for 1 hour or until tender. Cool. Peel potatoes; coarsely mash. Discard skins.
- Lightly spoon flour into a dry measuring cup; level with a knife. Melt butter in a large dutch oven. Add flour, whisking to combine with the butter. Gradually add milk, stirring with a whisk until blended. Cook over medium heat until thick and bubbly (about 8 minutes). Add mashed potatoes, cheese, salt, pepper, and paprika, stirring until cheese melts. Remove from heat.
- Stir in sour cream and 1/2 cup onions. Cook over low heat 10 minutes or until thoroughly heated (do not boil). Add additional salt and pepper if desired. Sprinkle each serving with cheese, onions, and bacon.
Adapted from The Best of Cooking Light
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition InformationYield 8 Serving Size 1
Amount Per ServingCalories 361 Total Fat 23g Saturated Fat 13g Trans Fat 1g Unsaturated Fat 9g Cholesterol 68mg Sodium 753mg Carbohydrates 20g Net Carbohydrates 0g Fiber 1g Sugar 10g Sugar Alcohols 0g Protein 18g