Butternut Squash, Pomegranate + Roquefort Salad
I am so excited for my friend Carrie’s new cookbook: Deliciously Organic.
The book is full of fresh, vibrant flavored recipes that are actually good for you.
Carrie makes going organic sound so simple and no-nonsense as she shares all kinds of incredibly helpful and practical information on eating organic and how to simply make the change without stressing too much – and why it’s important to eat organically.
Another thing that I’m loving about this book is that it’s photographed by another friend of mine, Helene from Tartelette.
I can’t stop looking at the book.
Each recipe and photo calls out to me: “Make me….Eat me!”
We’ve enjoyed quite a few of Carrie’s recipes already.
The raspberry almond muffins were a big hit for a Saturday morning breakfast and a pleasant change from traditional blueberry muffins.
I really savored those little bites of fresh, sweet berries during the winter (the recipe uses frozen berries, so it’s accessible all year round.).
And the recipe froze so well.
My dad was in town last week and along with some balsamic seared steaks and roasted potatoes I served Roasted Red Onion and pear Salad.
This one is going to become a frequent regular at our table during the fall and winter months.
And now for this recipe – Butternut Squash, Pomegranate and Roquefort Salad.
I’ve never thought to add roasted butternut squash to a green salad, but I loved it.
This salad is so full of color and beautiful on the table.
The sweet and salty bites of squash went so well with the juicy pomegranate arils and the bold Roquefort cheese.
What a wonderful lunch I enjoyed today!
I can’t wait to try even more of Carrie’s recipes, and to share this book with you as well.
Carrie is giving away one autographed copy of her new book. Read on for how you can win, but first – the salad recipe.
- 2 cups peeled, bite-sized pieces of butternut squash
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon whole cane sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 8 cups mixed baby greens
- 1/4 cup pomegranate arils
- 4 tablespoons crumbled Roquefort
- 1 teaspoon pomegranate juice
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons maple syrup
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F and adjust rack to middle position.
- Toss squash with coconut oil, whole cane sugar, and salt. Spread the pieces evenly in a baking dish and cover with foil. Roast for 15 minutes, remove foil and then roast for an additional 20 minutes, until edges are golden brown. Remove from oven and cool.
- Toss greens, pomegranate seeds, Roquefort, and cooled squash in a large bowl. Whisk together pomegranate juice, vinegar, olive oil and maple syrup in a small bowl and drizzle over tossed salad. Serve immediately.
From Deliciously Organic, by Carrie Vitt
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition InformationYield 4 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 321Total Fat 17gSaturated Fat 7gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 8gCholesterol 13mgSodium 581mgCarbohydrates 35gFiber 17gSugar 10gProtein 14g
Before you enter the giveaway PLEASE read the rules.
Giveaway (1 winner):
1 autographed copy of Deliciously Organic, by Carrie Vitt
- Head over to Deliciously Organic and tell me what recipe you’d like to try.
- You may NOT enter using multiple email addresses. Automatic disqualification.
- Additional entries must leave a separate comment.
- Contest ends January 24, 2011 at 11:59 p.m. EST.
- Contest open to US States only.
- Winner will be chosen via random.org and will have 3 days to respond before disqualified and a new winner chosen.
Additional entries can be earned by doing any of the following, giving you a total of 4 entries.
Leave a separate comment for each of your entries.