I haven’t made this recipe for quite some time, and I don’t know why because it’s really good. The meat takes on a sort of sweet/salty combo flavor from the marinade and is incredible tender from the kiwi. Something reminded me of it last week as I scrounged around in the fridge and freezer for something to make without going to the store.
I had some kiwi leftover from the Aloha Smoothie that was surprisingly still good. I really like flank steak, so I usually have that in the freezer as well. This was one of those meals that just fell together effortlessly and felt a little bit special, but was so fast for a weeknight. I mixed the marinade up in the morning and tossed the beef in a ziplock bag with it to sit in the refrigerator for the day. When the time came for dinner, all I had to do was start the rice and thread the beef onto the skewers. While they grilled I washed the lettuce, chopped the green onions, and set the table.
- 1 1/2 lb flank steak, sliced against the grain in strips
- 1/3 c soy sauce
- 2 Tbs sesame oil
- 2 Kiwi, peeled
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 of a yellow onion
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1/4 c Korean or Japanese cooking rice wine
- 1 Tbs apple cider vinegar
- 5 green onions, sliced
- Jasmine Rice
- Red lettuce leaves
- Puree soy sauce through apple cider vinegar in a small food processor or blender until smooth.
- Place steak strips in a large resealable plastic bag. Pour marinade over beef and seal the bag.
- Refrigerate for at least 2 hours, or up to 24 hours.
- Thread strips of beef onto skewers. Grill over medium-high heat until meat is cooked through, about 4-6 minutes per side.
- Serve in lettuce leaves filled with jasmine rice. Top with green onions. Roll lettuce with fillings into wraps.
adapted from an online friend, “cocoapuffs”
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition InformationYield 4 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 566Total Fat 21gSaturated Fat 7gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 12gCholesterol 134mgSodium 1549mgCarbohydrates 24gFiber 2gSugar 5gProtein 51g
GoodLifeEats.com offers recipe nutritional information as a courtesy and is an estimate only. This information comes from online calculators. Although GoodLifeEats.com makes every effort to provide accurate information, these figures are only estimates.