I recently made Panna Cotta for the first time. It’s probably the easiest, fanciest dessert I’ve ever made. It looks special; it tastes special, but it’s really nothing more than gelled cream. This recipe is a perfect summer dessert because berries are in season and it doesn’t require turning on the oven in an already hot kitchen. You can mix this up with different flavors – orange and raspberry, vanilla and strawberry. I picked lemon and blueberry because that is a favorite flavor combination of mine. Add in a touch of vanilla to that and it’s golden!
As far as the price, I’d consider this a fairly inexpensive dessert when you do the shopping right. I pick up heavy cream and half and half frequently at Costco to have on had for when the need arises. The size isn’t your typical “Costco size,” but the price is better than I’ve found at grocery stores. Berries are frequently on sale during summer months. The time I made this, I found them on sale for 79 cents per container. If your location allows, head to the farmers market or a you-pick farm for a fun activity.
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 1/4 teaspoon unflavored gelatin
- 1 3/4 cups cream
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 cup half and half or whole milk
- Pinch salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pure lemon extract
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup blueberries, divided
- lemon zest, to garnish, optional
- Sprinkle the gelatin over the water in a small bowl. Let sit to soften.
- Put the half and half or milk in a small saucepan with the sugar over medium heat and heat until bubbles form around the edges. Whisk until all the sugar is dissolved. Take off the heat and whisk in the gelatin mixture until completely dissolved. Whisk in the cream, salt, lemon extract, and vanilla extract.
- Clean and dry the blueberries. Divide half of the berries between 4 6-8 ounce cups or bowls. Fill each one partway with the berries. Pour the panna cotta mixture over the berries and chill until set.
- Before serving, divide the remaining berries between the cups, piling them on top of the set custard. Garnish with lemon zest.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition InformationYield 4 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 555Total Fat 46gSaturated Fat 29gTrans Fat 2gUnsaturated Fat 14gCholesterol 145mgSodium 127mgCarbohydrates 31gFiber 1gSugar 29gProtein 8g
GoodLifeEats.com offers recipe nutritional information as a courtesy and is an estimate only. This information comes from online calculators. Although GoodLifeEats.com makes every effort to provide accurate information, these figures are only estimates.