AUG

Zucchini Nachos

Appetizers and Snacks, Beans and Legumes, Garden Recipes, Main Dish, Mexican, Seasonal Recipes, Summer Recipes, Vegetarian | 20 comments

It must still be summer here, because I’m still cranking out zucchini from the garden and trying to figure out how to incorporate it into meals without getting sick of it. From pasta with chicken, to pasta with shrimp, to muffins, and more, zucchini has definitely had a frequent spot on our menu this summer. And you know what? I’m not sick of it! I’ve made so many completely different tasting meals using my zucchini. I enjoy trying to find new ways to use the food I already have on hand and incorporating that food with different flavors and textures, so this has been a fun challenge for me.

When we came home from our trip a couple weeks ago there were two almost baseball bat sized zucchini (okay, kid sized baseball bats – but still!). My neighbor said he picked one the day before because it was just getting HUGE and that if we called and said we decided to stay longer he was going to have to pick those two as well.

It was great for me having all those zucchini and tomatoes after getting home from a trip. I made salsa twice and one of the nights last week we had these yummy zucchini nachos and topped them with homemade chunky salsa. So good!

This was definitely one of those throw-it-together meals, but sometimes those end up being my in my favorites. I loved how fresh this meal tasted, how fast it was, that it used my in-season produce, and that 3 out of the 4 of us enjoyed it. I pretty much never count on Logan eating what we eat for dinner, but it was great that Madeline liked it too.

I love that nachos have the taste and appearance of being one of those snacky kind of meals, but these are actually quite healthy since they are packed with vegetables.

My article and recipe for the homemade salsa I used with these nachos will be going up Wednesday, August 19th at Craftzine.com. I’m not sure on the exact time, but I’ll edit this post with the link once it’s live.

Zucchini Nachos
a goodLife {eats} creation

• Tortilla Chips – I love Costco’s Organic Tortilla Chips
  • Fresh Salsa
  • Diced Avocado
  • 1 Zucchini (or half if it’s a huge garden zucchini like mine)
  • 1 can black beans, drained
  • 1 1/2 cup corn (frozen or fresh cooked and cut off the cob)
  • Salt and Pepper, to taste
  • 1/4 tsp cumin
  • pinch chili powder
  • Grated cheese – jack, pepper jack, or cheddar

Preheat oven or toaster oven (I like the toaster oven in the summer) to 425 degrees F. Line a pan with foil and spray with spray oil. Layer chips on the pan. Grate zucchini. Toss zucchini through chili powder. Sprinkle over a layer of tortilla chips. Grate cheese on top of veggie mixture. Use however much you like, I probably used about 3/4 c. Place pan in oven and cook until cheese is melted and all bubbly. Top with fresh salsa and diced avocado.

Maria - August 19, 2009 @ 2:03 pm

Great way to use up the garden zucchini!

Krista - August 19, 2009 @ 2:39 pm

These look delicious! I've been looking for some new zucchini recipes, and this one is moving right to the top of my list! We love nachos! :)

Kara - August 19, 2009 @ 3:29 pm

These look SO delicious! What a great use for zucchini. I'm definitely going to have to make these.

Anja - August 19, 2009 @ 4:18 pm

I'm a big fan of south american-, mexican-, however you call that… food. That looks so yummylicious, I will think about that next time. As you mention it is a snack. I imagine that as a sidedish when having a glass of wine or a bear…

FishMama - August 19, 2009 @ 4:46 pm

Great idea! I think with all that other yummy stuff on there, my picky eaters might not even know it was there.Can't you eat the blossoms? I think you should try that — and report back, of course. You won't get zucchinis for awhile, which could be a nice reprieve. I've heard they are edible. Aren't they

The Happy Housewife - August 19, 2009 @ 4:53 pm

I had my doubts when I read the title… but you make it look delicious. I wish I would have had this post 2 years ago when I had more zucchini than I knew what to do with! I think my kids will never eat another zucchini muffin, lol!Toni

Katie @ goodLife {eats} - August 19, 2009 @ 5:19 pm

FishMama – you can eat the blossoms. Lots of people stuff them, batter then, and fry them. I haven't tried them. I only have 1 zucchini plant, so I don't want to slow it down too much. I will probably do 2 next year.

The Apple Hill Adventurer - August 19, 2009 @ 5:50 pm

WOW these look AMAZING. must.replicate.soonthanks so much for the idea / recipeit is a great way to make nachos healthier!i think i will bake my own chips, and use fat free cheese and TONS of avocado… mmm

betty - August 19, 2009 @ 6:00 pm

Awesome website!!! Love the photos and great information-thanks,Betty http://www.geothermalquestions.net

Carissa(GoodnCrazy) - August 19, 2009 @ 8:40 pm

WOWzer this looks beyond yummy and I've been craving nachos.. who knew you could have em so 'healthy' eh??

Jennifer - August 20, 2009 @ 1:24 am

This looks amazing! I love the healthy, fresh kick to it!!!!

Retro Housewife - August 20, 2009 @ 4:06 am

I make a really delicious marinade we use for zucchini and then throw on the grill. I will have to forward it along to you to try.

Sara @ Our Best Bites - August 20, 2009 @ 5:00 am

I've been going nuts with the zucchini too- made tons of chocolate zuch bread today! Never would have thought to put it on nachos though- you get the inventive-use-of-zucchini award!

Kristilyn (The Domestic Goddess) - August 20, 2009 @ 3:48 pm

This is a great recipe to use up zucchini! I've made too much sweet stuff that I might have to try this out. I'm sure I have another 30 zucchini coming up in my garden still! K

the southern hostess - August 20, 2009 @ 8:50 pm

These look so tasty!

Melody - August 21, 2009 @ 12:37 am

Now that is a great idea! It looks so fresh and flavorful. Great thinking!

char - August 21, 2009 @ 5:49 am

YUM! thats all I have to say!

Kevin - August 22, 2009 @ 7:21 pm

What a great way to use some of the abundance of zucchini!

angela@spinachtiger - August 23, 2009 @ 12:44 pm

Now this is a great idea.

Jada - August 26, 2009 @ 3:58 am

These look so good! I am a nacho fanatic, but never tried using zucchini. Thanks for the post!