Grilled Zucchini and Squash Salad features the fresh flavors of summer. Fresh zucchini, yellow squash, and red onion are grilled. After grilling zucchini, yellow squash and red onion, the veggies are tossed with lemon vinaigrette, fresh herbs, and feta cheese. This grilled zucchini recipe is the perfect side dish for the hot summer days of zucchini season!
Making this Grilled Zucchini and Squash
This has become my favorite way to serve fresh zucchini and squash during the summer months.
Tools Needed to Make Grilled Zucchini and Squash
You’ll need a few kitchen tools to prepare squash and zucchini on the grill. Here’s what I recommend having on hand before getting started:
- Knife and Cutting Board – to cut all the vegetables for this easy side dish recipe.
- Small Bowl or Glass Measuring Cup – to mix the lemon vinaigrette ingredients in.
- Microplane Grater – lemon zest adds an extra pop of citrus to this simple recipe. A zester works great for removing the peel from the lemon.
- Citrus Juicer – is the best and easiest way to get a squeeze of fresh lemon.
- Measuring Spoons – to measure the ingredients for the lemon dressing.
- Large Mixing Bowl – a large bowl will work well for combining all of the vegetables and tossing with olive oil before grill time
- Grill and Grill Basket – for grilling the zucchini, squash, and onions.
- Tongs – to turn the veggies during grilling.
- Serving Platter – a great way to display the bright color of this grilled zucchini and squash salad when serving.
Ingredients in this Salad with Grilled Zucchini and Squash
This grilled zucchini recipe features plenty of fresh ingredients. Here’s a quick overview of what you’ll need to make this simple side dish:
- Yellow Summer Squash
- Red Onion
- Fresh Parsley
- Fresh Mint
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Fresh Lemon Juice
- Lemon Zest
- Fresh Garlic
- Baharat Seasoning
- Ground Cumin
- Kosher Salt
- Black Pepper
- Feta Cheese
For the complete ingredient list and detailed instructions, scroll to the bottom of this post for the FREE printable recipe card.
How to Make Grilled Zucchini and Squash
Here’s a quick overview of the basic steps to preparing this grilled zucchini salad recipe:
- Combine all of the dressing ingredients, whisk until well mixed, and set aside.
- Slice the summer squash and zucchini, cut the onion into wedges. Toss the onion, squash, and zucchini slices with olive oil, then grill.
- After grilling, stir the grilled veggies with half of the dressing, fresh parsley, and mint.
- Arrange on a platter and drizzle with remaining dressing and top with the feta cheese.
The above is simply a quick summary of this recipe. Check out the complete recipe in the free printable recipe card at the bottom of this post for all the detailed instructions.
Tips for Making the Best Grilled Zucchini and Squash
- I recommend using medium-sized zucchini and squash. Extra large zucchini and squash will be more fibrous and have larger seeds
- You will want to start with hot grill grates, so make sure you preheat the grill for 5 – 10 minutes before you start cooking.
- Use a grill basket to prevent the vegetables from falling through the grill grates.
- Lay the vegetables in a single layer on grill baskets. The veggies will develop nice grill marks if they’re not layered on top of each other.
Grilled Zucchini and Squash FAQs
Got questions about grilling squash and zucchini? Here are the answers to a few commonly asked questions. Feel free to leave any other questions in the comments on this post and I’ll respond with answers.
How thick should I slice the zucchini and squash?
I recommend slicing them 1/3 – 1/2 of an inch thick for best results.
What can I substitute for feta cheese?
You can either leave the feta cheese off or substitute goat cheese in place of it for this recipe.
What can I substitute for Baharat Seasoning?
If you don’t have baharat seasoning or are unable to find it at your grocery store, I recommend using extra cumin in place.
Can I make grilled zucchini and squash without an outdoor grill?
If you don’t have a charcoal grill or gas grill, you can still prepare this recipe! Use a indoor grill pan to grill the fresh produce.
What should I serve with grilled squash and zucchini?
Grilled zucchini and squash is the perfect summer side dish for a night of cooking on the grill! Here are my serving suggestions:
How do I store leftover grilled zucchini and squash?
The best way to store leftover grilled zucchini is in an airtight container in the refrigerator. I don’t recommend freezing this recipe.
How long do leftovers last?
Leftovers should be used within 3 – 5 days.
More Zucchini Recipes
Want more ideas for cooking zucchini? Here are a few of our favorite recipes:
Try Grilled Zucchini and Squash at Home!
Next time you have a large bounty of zucchini, try this Grilled Zucchini and Squash Salad!
Did you think this was a delicious way to prepare zucchini squash? Leave a comment below and give it a star rating so others can see what you thought of this healthy side dish.
On Instagram? Share your photo and tag me with @goodlifeeats and #goodlifeeatsrecipes. I’d love to see a photo of your grilled zucchini and squash!
Get New Recipe Ideas via Email
Did you love this easy recipe for grilled zucchini and squash? Sign up to receive Good Life Eats Email Updates and never miss another recipe!
For the Lemon Dressing
- 4 tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 1/2 tablespoons Fresh Lemon Juice
- Zest of 1 Lemon
- 1 clove Fresh Garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon Baharat Seasoning
- 3/4 teaspoon Ground Cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher Salt, or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon Black Pepper, or to taste
For the Vegetables
- 2 medium Zucchini
- 2 medium Yellow Summer Squash
- 1 large Red Onion
- 1 tablespoon Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/4 cup Fresh Parsley, chopped
- 1/4 cup Fresh Mint, chopped
- 1/3 cup crumbled Feta Cheese
Make the Dressing
- Combine the olive oil, lemon juice, lemon zest, garlic clove, and seasonings in a small bowl or glass measuring cup.
- Mix well using a wire whisk. Set aside.
Prep the Veggies
- Wash and dry the zucchini and yellow squash. Cut each into 1/2 inch round slices. Set aside.
- Cut the onion in half from root to stem. Remove the papery skin and discard. Slice the root and stem off of each half.
- Then, cut each half into 6 - 8 wedges, cutting from end to end.
- Add all of the veggies to a mixing bowl, then drizzle with 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Gently toss to coat.
Grilling the Zucchini, Squash, and Onions
- Preheat the grill to medium-high heat.
- Place the oiled vegetables in a single layer on a veggie grilling basket (or multiple if needed to fit them all).
- Transfer the grilling basket(s) to the preheated grill and cook 7 - 10 minutes, flipping halfway through so the side facing up is turned to face the grill.
- Continue cooking, if needed, until desired doneness is achieved.
Assembling the Grilled Zucchini and Squash Salad
- After grilling, gently toss the vegetables with half of the dressing, fresh parsley, and and fresh mint.
- Transfer to a serving platter, drizzle with remaining dressing, and garnish with the crumbled feta.
- Serve immediately, seasoning with additional salt and pepper to taste (if desired).
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 122Total Fat: 10gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 6mgSodium: 152mgCarbohydrates: 9gFiber: 2gSugar: 4gProtein: 3g
GoodLifeEats.com offers recipe nutritional information as a courtesy. This provided information is an estimate only. This information comes from online calculators. Although GoodLifeEats.com makes every effort to provide accurate information, these figures are only estimates.