OCT

Pumpkin Chocolate Chunk Muffins

Breakfast and Brunch, Fall Recipes, Freezer Friendly, Muffins, Seasonal Recipes | 14 comments

Sometimes life doesn’t go according to our best laid plans and intentions. I’ve been trying to get this recipe up for the past couple days, but instead I’ve been dealing with migraines, a teething 2 year old, and a 4 1/2 year old giving me attitude. Days comprised of unpleasant elements such as those, I’m so glad I have leftover muffins like these to start the day with. And that my best friend is visiting from Arizona.

It has been a lot of fun to have a friend to cook with this week, and I’m sad that we only have 1 1/2 days left of her visit. Pumpkin Chocolate Chunk Muffins, Chocolately Pecan Tart, Julia’s Chicken Fricassée with Tarragon Sauce, Beefy Borscht, and Jaden’s Vietnamese Summer Rolls are some of the yummy things we’ve had fun making together (and eating!).

For the dark chocolate, I used a bar of Scharffen Berger 70% Cacao Bittersweet Chocolate that came in my BlogHer Food swag bag. It was the perfect compliment to the spicy sweet pumpkin muffins. When I chop the chocolate, there are usually lots of small bits that are almost shaved leftover on the cutting board. I like to sprinkle a pinch of these on top of the muffin batter in each cup before baking for a little chocolate on top too. These pumpkin muffins are super moist and easy to make and a great way to start the day – even the bad ones.

Pumpkin Chocolate Chunk Muffins

• 2 t baking soda
  • 2 t baking powder
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/4 tsp allspice
  • 3/4 tsp salt
  • 1 c coarsely chopped dark chocolate

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. With a wire whisk, beat the eggs in a large bowl, and mix in the sugar, pumpkin, applesauce, and butter. In a medium bowl, mix the flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, allspice, salt, and chocolate. Stir the flour mixture into the egg and pumpkin mixture until just combined.

Transfer better into lined muffin cups, a scant 1/4 cup of batter per cup. Bake 15 to 20 minutes. Cool 5 minutes in pans, remove muffins and cool completely on a wire rack. Makes 2 1/2 dozen. These freeze well – after completely cooling, place in gallon sized resealable freezer bags.

Maria - October 09, 2009 @ 4:24 pm

I am glad you posted these:) They look fantastic! Perfect for a chilly fall morning.

Deseree - October 09, 2009 @ 5:52 pm

Thank you for posting these!! They look absolutely scrumptious. You can go wrong with pumpkin and dark chocolate :)

Deanna - October 09, 2009 @ 6:44 pm

Love the cute ribbon accent! These muffins sound like an excellent way to start any morning!

Leighann - October 09, 2009 @ 9:38 pm

Can totally relate to your week. I've been in a muffin making mood (and freezing them for school lunches) lately so will add this to my list. Thanks!

Amy J in SC - October 10, 2009 @ 3:10 am

Yum! Good reason to pull one of those chocolate bars out.

Pauline - October 10, 2009 @ 5:37 am

Wow. They look so moist and spicedly-delicious! The use of both applesauce and pumpkin must be the trick. Great addition to the pumpkin repertoire!

angela@spinachtiger - October 10, 2009 @ 2:16 pm

You got it going on with the black and orange.

Dianne - October 10, 2009 @ 11:13 pm

These look great! I am out of applesauce right now, and would love to make these without running to the store. Can you recommend a sub, or can I just up the pumpkin? Thanks, Dianne

Madame Sucre - October 11, 2009 @ 12:51 pm

I would love to make this one day.. never experienced Pumpkin with chocolate!!! & the presentation is sooo pretty!

the twins - October 11, 2009 @ 9:52 pm

oh, those look/sound so amazing. i want one now! =)

Lisa @ Stop and Smell the Chocolates - October 12, 2009 @ 4:00 am

Yum! And ooooo – I have homemade applesauce right now. That would be good!! I'm having a Fall Fruits Festival this week with link-ups and Tuesday is about Pumpkin! If you have a chance, come link up this post on Tuesday.

Her name was Lola - October 22, 2009 @ 3:07 am

These look divine! Thanks for this dose of holiday yumminess + I love your {new-to-me} blog.Cheers.

Susan - November 22, 2011 @ 3:26 pm

I just made these and was in a hurry to get them done before the kids came home from school. So I dumped all the batter into a jelly roll pan and baked them at 375 for 18 min. They were ready for the kids and everyone loved them!