DEC

Kitchen Gift: Homemade Pancake Mix Jars

Christmas Recipes, Kitchen Gifts, Kitchen Tips & Tricks | 34 comments

The past couple years we’ve taken the easy way out for teacher gifts and purchased a little something. This year I wanted to do something a little more special since this kids are getting older, but I didn’t want to send them with the same homemade item that everyone else is going to send.

homemade jar gifts - 5 grain pancake mix

We love this recipe for 5 Grain Pancakes with Flax so much. It’s been a huge favorite in our house this year, so I decided that this treat would be something special to share with the kids’ teachers.

It was really simple to do and they turned out super cute. With help from Shaina, I decided on Leifheit Canning Supplies 3-1/4 Cup Glass Preserving Jars, Set of 6 for the jars. I wanted them to still be small but big enough to hold a good amount of mix. With this amount of mix, the receiver will be able to make 12-18 pancakes. I picked up some inexpensive Christmas material at the fabric store. The rest of the supplies we already had.

homemade jar gifts

First, fold your fabric in half inside out. This way you can cut more than one fabric circle at a time for the jar tops. Find an object that is about 1 1/2 to 2 inches larger in diameter than the lid of the jar. Trace it on the fabric using a pencil.

homemade jar gifts

Cut the circles out and flip them right side up. I placed the lid on top of the circle here so you can get an idea of how much bigger the fabric should be than the lid.

I didn’t try this, but it would also be cute to do 2 circles per jar in different fabrics and have them stagger in size (i.e. one circle that is 1 1/2 inches larger in diameter and another in a different fabric that is 2 1/2 inches larger).

homemade jar gifts

Fill the jar with whatever you are putting in it. I forgot to add the mix in for the photo of this step, but you get the idea. Place the fabric on top of the jar lid, then put the jar lid on top of the fabric and tighten. Tie some ribbon or baker’s twine around the lid.

Recipe for the pancake mix available here: 5 Grain Pancakes with Flax. Click the link, then click the printer icon in the recipe box in the post for a printable copy of the recipe. Be sure to include the instructions for making pancakes with the mix when giving the jars as gifts. Click the image below to download a FREE printable recipe card to pair with the jar.

homemade pancake mix

Another great homemade jarred gift is this All-Natural Moisturizing Kitchen Hand Scrub. Perfect for dry, winter hands and really simple to make!

Head over to Recipe Exchange: Chocolate Orange Bread to vote for your favorite chocolate recipe. If you have a favorite comfort food recipe, you can enter it at this post Recipe Exchange: Homemade Mac n Cheese for a chance to win a Le Creuset 5 Quart French Oven!

Liz @ Blog is the New Black - December 14, 2010 @ 6:32 am

I really love this idea- I like that it’s a pancake mix instead of the traditional cookie mix. What a great idea- and a great gift!

Wendy @ Seriously Sassy - December 14, 2010 @ 7:11 am

Adorable! LOVE the idea!!

Jeannette - December 14, 2010 @ 7:20 am

what a fantastic idea! i was thinking of doing a good mix of brownie mix, cookie mix, hot cocoa and now… pancakes!!

Heather (Heather's Dish) - December 14, 2010 @ 8:02 am

i am in love with this idea! and who doesn’t love to have great pancakes in the mornings that are easy?! :)

Tricia @ {every}nothing wonderful - December 14, 2010 @ 8:11 am

Homemade pancake mix was the surprise hit of the holidays last year! My mother, who abhors pancakes loved them! These jars are perfection for the packaging and I’m always up for a new recipe – thanks!

Lori @ RecipeGirl - December 14, 2010 @ 8:20 am

How fun! I have a homemade pancake mix that I make but I’ve never thought to turn it into a gift. I think people would love it!

Shaina - December 14, 2010 @ 8:30 am

Love them, and the jars turned out so cute!

Noodles and Waffles - December 14, 2010 @ 9:11 am

This is fabulous. Thanks!

Noelle - December 14, 2010 @ 9:11 am

The hand scrub sound lovely! I have to think of these for next year! Thanks!

My Kitchen in the Rockies - December 14, 2010 @ 9:25 am

That is a wonderful idea. The jars are very pretty with the cloth. I use Weck glasses.

megan @ whatmegansmaking - December 14, 2010 @ 11:19 am

such a cute idea! I would love to get one of these as a gift :)

Alison @ Ingredients Inc. - December 14, 2010 @ 11:46 am

Great idea Katie! I am a pancake lover so I’m sold on this one for sure! Great post as always!

JulieD - December 14, 2010 @ 12:00 pm

This is a great idea, Katie. I love it!

Aggie - December 14, 2010 @ 12:09 pm

This is an awesome idea!! Love the printable recipe attached too, so cute Katie!

Jennie @ Oh, Sweet Day! - December 14, 2010 @ 12:58 pm

I have been having so much fun coming up with new things to jar for Christmas gifts this year, love the pancake mix and how you decorated it!

Amanda - December 14, 2010 @ 3:45 pm

Great job!

Robyn | Add a Pinch - December 14, 2010 @ 3:58 pm

Such a cute idea!

Kristen - December 14, 2010 @ 6:24 pm

Fun idea for sure!

Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction - December 14, 2010 @ 8:33 pm

Beautiful! Love homemade pancake mix, and it looks so beautiful packaged in the jars as gifts.

louise mellor - December 14, 2010 @ 8:59 pm

perfect, what a wonderful idea! i’m going to do this myself with my favorite pancake recipe…

Sara @ Our Best Bites - December 14, 2010 @ 10:23 pm

So darling! I’m in love with the photo too, gorgeous!

Barnicles - December 16, 2010 @ 9:17 am

lovely idea! so sweet. would it be possible to add the other dry ingredients (like cinnamon) so only the wet need to be added to the mix?

• Katie Goodman

Katie replied: — December 16th, 2010 @ 9:59 AM

Yes, sure it’s possible. I haven’t calculated out the amount you’d need to add for the entire batch as that was not part of the original recipe. Sometimes we add cinnamon, sometimes we don’t…so I prefer not to have it in the mix. You could add the sugar as well, but you’d have to calculate the total amount of sugar to add to the mix for the entire batch and then change how much mix you’d use per batch because with the addition of the sugar it would now be greater than one cup. You also wouldn’t get as many servings out of a jar this way.

Kristine - December 19, 2010 @ 8:56 pm

When do you add the cinnamon?

Lovely idea!!

• Katie Goodman

Katie replied: — December 20th, 2010 @ 10:55 PM

Ooops. It looks like I left it off. Just add it with the rest of the ingredients. I’ll try to get an updated recipe card up soon.

Sukaina - December 20, 2010 @ 10:56 am

What a fabulous idea. And I’m loving your photography as well.

Sharron Clemons - December 21, 2010 @ 2:42 pm

Fun idea for sure!

Kelli @ The Corner Kitchen - December 29, 2010 @ 2:35 pm

What a great idea! Thanks for sharing.

Jessica - November 02, 2011 @ 3:38 pm

Gorgeous idea!

With the jars, did you do something to the lids so that the fabric showed on top when you seal the jar?

• Katie Goodman

Katie replied: — November 2nd, 2011 @ 4:09 PM

I just put the fabric on top of the circle and screwed the ring on top of it. They are canning jars so the lids have two pieces.

Kate - November 08, 2011 @ 5:57 am

Love this! Just wanted to let you know that I’m including it in my post “Top 10 Gifts in Jars” today at http://www.cheapcraftymama.com. Feel free to stop by and grab a button or link for your page to show that you are featured! Thanks!

Anne - December 24, 2011 @ 8:47 am

I made the pancake mixture today and just finished eating a few myself. My husband and I added in the pupkin purée since we had it in our cabinet. The pancakes were delicious and different, which is good. We added fresh strawberries too! We will be giving jars as gifts. It was hard to prepare the mix since there is a lot of ingredients!!! I had to seperate it in half and then continued adding and mixing. It all worked out. Oh, I also had a difficult time locating the different flours the recipe calls for but Wild by Nature eventually rescued me. I wonder how the pancakes will taste with out the pumpkin purée. I recommend the recipe and think it’s a great idea as a gift. In the past I made cookie recipe jars and they were a hit but love the idea of switching it up to breakfast and a healthy one. Thanks for the recipe!

Linda @ it all started with paint - November 16, 2013 @ 10:09 am

What a fabulous idea! Thank you so much for sharing at our mason jar holiday party!!!

:) Linda
    @It All Started With Paint & Mason Jar Crafts Love

Kelly @ The Nourishing Home - December 13, 2013 @ 3:12 pm

What a great recipe. I linked it up in my Homemade Gifts-in-a-Jar guest post over at Keeper of the Home! Hope it brings some new friends your way! Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you! :) Kelly