FEB

Kitchen Tip: How to Measure Partial Eggs

Kitchen Tips & Tricks | 26 comments

Have you ever wanted to make a half a recipe of something but there are an odd number of eggs in the original? Me too. Take last week for example.

I wanted to make these Chocolate Buttermilk Cupcakes to experiment with a new frosting recipe. But I did not want 30 cupcakes. The original recipe calls for 3 eggs, which might seem problematic, but it really isn’t.

how to measure partial eggs

Print This Print This

5 Easy Steps to Measure a Partial Egg

1. Crack your egg into a bowl.

2. Hand whisk the egg until the yolk and white are thoroughly combined.

3. Measure the number of tablespoons (or teaspoons) from the single whisked egg. I measure out a tablespoon at a time and transfer it to another small bowl.

One large egg contains approximately 3 tablespoons, but you’ll want to measure the eggs you typically purchase for accuracy.

4. If you need a half an egg, measure out half of the total whisked amount, i.e. 1 1/2 tablespoons.

5. Add the partial amount to your recipe, then add the remaining amount of egg and proceed with the rest of the recipe. (i.e. you need 1 1/2 eggs: add the measured 1/2 egg and one whole egg)

Not only does this tip apply to when you want to cut a recipe down, but it can also help you if you want to make more – perhaps not a double batch, but maybe 1 1/2 of a batch.

For instance, say the original recipe makes 1 dozen cupcakes, but you need to bring 18 cupcakes to your child’s classroom party. Just a little bit of math and measuring and you’ll be ready to go.

how to measure half of an egg

Egg Recipes for your Inspiration:

Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen - February 01, 2011 @ 7:04 am

Good to know that one large egg equals 3 Tbs, I usually weigh mine out but there’s not always a scale handy sometimes.

Liz @ Blog is the New Black - February 01, 2011 @ 7:10 am

You just saved me a lot of wondering! I always just add the third egg. This sounds so “duh” and simple… but I never thought to do this!

Lisa {Smart Food & Fit} - February 01, 2011 @ 7:20 am

Great post! It brought back memories of my food science class in college, we had to measure and weigh all of our food ingredients in our kitchen lab. This was the method we used to do measure eggs for our recipes. Though we used a graduated cylinder in mL instead of tablespoons!

Rachel @ Baked by Rachel - February 01, 2011 @ 7:21 am

I read something similar recently giving the rough amount per average sized egg. Definitely handy to know. So far I’ve always just cut my recipes down till I get to one egg – even if it’s an odd number to start. I know most people wouldn’t want to bother with that though – lots of recaculating to get it right.

Lisa (Dishes of Mrs. Fish) - February 01, 2011 @ 7:39 am

Great tip! I’ve done this countless times, since there are only two of us!

mrsblocko - February 01, 2011 @ 8:03 am

Thank you for this. I was wanting to half a recipe but it only called for 1 egg and this solves the problem of the half egg!

TidyMom - February 01, 2011 @ 8:18 am

FANTASTIC!!!! I’ve always avoided doubling or halving a recipe because of this very reason!!! Thanks Katie!

megan @ whatmegansmaking - February 01, 2011 @ 8:42 am

I’ve done this for years, but never thought to explain it so succinctly :) Well done!

Amber | Bluebonnets & Brownies - February 01, 2011 @ 8:52 am

This is a great tip, Katie. I never would have thought of it – I just go ahead and make the 30 cupcakes! Thanks for saving my hips ;)

bridget {bake at 350} - February 01, 2011 @ 9:59 am

Great tip, Katie! Very helpful!

Joanne - February 01, 2011 @ 10:39 am

Awesome tip! I’m always cooking for less than thirty and sit there scratching my head about the eggs on many occasions. I also sometimes weigh out the amount if my scale is handy!

Kim - February 01, 2011 @ 10:48 am

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! I ran into this
    same problem the other day and ended up making
    something else. Now I can go and try out the
    original recipe!

Kim

Amanda - February 01, 2011 @ 11:17 am

Great tips!

Amy (Sing For Your Supper) - February 01, 2011 @ 11:51 am

How funny- I was just about to make half a recipe for a pound cake (in a loaf pan) and it calls for 5 eggs! Now I know what to do- thanks for another great tip, Katie!

Shaina - February 01, 2011 @ 12:04 pm

Love this tip. Great for halving recipes or making extra when one batch just isn’t quite the right amount.

Tracy - February 01, 2011 @ 12:51 pm

Love this post – so helpful!!

Lauren at KeepItSweet - February 01, 2011 @ 1:00 pm

What a helpful tip! It seems so obvious but I never would have thought of it!

carrian - February 01, 2011 @ 1:55 pm

I’ve always wondered about this!! Could I use your tip for did you know that wednesday on my blog?

Jamie | My Baking Addiction - February 01, 2011 @ 2:15 pm

Great tip, Katie! I usually just kind of guesstimate, but this is just as easy, and much more accurate!

Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction - February 01, 2011 @ 4:26 pm

Such a great tip! It always seems that I need half of an egg when I’m baking… I do a lot of recipe-halving.

Olivia - February 01, 2011 @ 4:41 pm

Great tip! To be honest, whenever I need half of an egg I usually just use the yolk;) works just the same!

Happy When Not Hungry - February 02, 2011 @ 6:59 am

It’s like a light bulb just went on! Sounds so straightforward but yet I don’t do it this way. Thanks for sharing!

Muriel - February 02, 2011 @ 10:21 am

This is a great tip! Your pictures are beautiful also!

Melissa Mack - February 03, 2011 @ 5:26 pm

Great tip!!! Thanks so much!

Amanda - February 09, 2011 @ 12:24 pm

Wow, this is such an easy answer and something I had not thought out. Thank you very much for sharing!

dana d - April 12, 2011 @ 7:33 pm

Brilliant! Now why did I not think of this?