OCT

How to Bake Bacon and Other Time Saving Tips for the Kitchen

Kitchen Tips & Tricks | 17 comments

I am all about time-savers in the kitchen. One of my favorite time-savers in the kitchen is to bake bacon in the oven.

Why would I need to bake bacon? I don’t have time to babysit it on the stove as I flip each piece to ensure even cooking. Nor do I have time to make sure no one gets hurt from grease splatters.

how to bake bacon

Baking bacon makes it so much easier to prepare and frees up my hands to accomplish other tasks that need my attention – in or out of the kitchen.

Have you ever baked your bacon before? It was a new technique to me until about a year or two ago. I couldn’t believe that I had never tried it before.

No splatters on the stove. No babysitting and flipping the bacon. No mess. No fuss. Perfectly cooked bacon every time.

Print This Print This

How to Bake Bacon – 5 Steps to Perfect Baked Bacon

1. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.

2. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. This ensures the bacon doesn’t get stuck to the pan and it also makes clean up a little bit easier.

3. Place the bacon on the lined baking sheet. You’ll want to make sure the strips are not overlapping or they will be stuck together after the baking is complete.

4. Place the baking sheet in the oven on a rack positioned in the middle position.

5. Bake the bacon for 15-20 minutes. If you need longer, add an additional few minutes to compensate for varying oven temperatures, bacon thickness, or desired crispness.

Print This Print This

More Time-Saving Kitchen Tips

This year has been the year of chaos for the Goodman family. It all started with our move, but even though we are settled in our new home our life has not seemed to get any simpler or less busy. Here are a few of my other favorite time saving techniques.

time saving kitchen tricks

How to Freeze Cookie Dough – Whenever we make cookies we make extra dough to freeze and use throughout the coming weeks. Less mess to clean up when the dough is only prepared once. Less time spent mixing up batter.

Homemade Buttermilk Substitute – Zero time spent going to the store to buy an ingredient that I am out of when I can easily whip up a substitution at home.

Perfect Baked Potatoes Kitchen Tip – Love the short-cut method for baking perfect baked potatoes when I’m in a rush to get dinner on the table. Top them with steamed broccoli and cheddar cheese or leftover chili for a super fast dinner.

Trick for Filling Muffin Tins – This tip for filling muffin tins quickly and evenly (which greatly helps with baking times and ensuring that each muffin is done at the same time) is a favorite for sure.

Stuffed Pasta – The Easy Way! – This trick makes stuffed shells and manicotti a breeze – not just easy, but super quick.

How to Freeze and Reheat Pancakes and Waffles – We can enjoy a delicious hot breakfast on even the busiest of mornings or save the day for a quick “breakfast for dinner” when the most time consuming portion is already done.

eat well spend less for fall

This post is part of the Eat Well, Spend Less Series. Be sure to check out the other bloggers participating to see what they have to say about how we can save time in the kitchen.

What are your favorite time-saving tips?

Aimee @ Simple Bites - October 15, 2012 @ 6:14 am

Loved your list of time-savers, Katie. They all add up – I just have to remember to implement them!

Jillian {Her Split Ends} - October 15, 2012 @ 7:00 am

I Love making bacon in the oven…so much easier and less mess…BUT i always hate cleaning the pan afterwards. Never thought about using parchment paper…brilliant!! Thanks!

Cheers
    ~ Jillian

• Katelyn replied: — October 15th, 2012 @ 12:04 PM

I use foil under mine. If I’m careful to overlap the edge of the pan, no grease gets out and I can wrap it all up in the foil when done and have a clean pan too!

Norma - October 15, 2012 @ 7:24 am

so does this not splatter all over your oven?

• Jennifer G replied: — October 21st, 2012 @ 8:30 PM

I have had trouble in the past cooking bacon this high and fast. For me, 350 for about 40 minutes works great and doesn’t set off my smoke alarms (which happened in 3 different apartments before I learned to lower the temp and slow the cooking time…definition of insanity???). And as I usually fry a whole pound at a time, it doesn’t really take any longer than standing in front of the frying pan…except that I don’t have to stand in front of the frying pan :)

Kathy F. - October 15, 2012 @ 10:16 am

I have been baking bacon for a few years now and I always line my pan with foil – NO clean up that way plus I can save the grease for later use if I prefer.

a-man - October 15, 2012 @ 11:28 am

This time saver method is a good idea. Is there any difference in taste or consistency between oven and pan bacon?
    Thank you!

terri - October 15, 2012 @ 5:57 pm

Love this idea, been doing it for a few years now. I also cook bacon on the bbq.

Gina Rau - October 15, 2012 @ 10:19 pm

This is a great tip! We’ve been baking our bacon in the oven with parchment paper for years thanks to my husband. He got so tired of mopping up the grease splatter on our glossy black stove that he tried baking it one day. So much easier and the clean up is a snap!

Keep the kitchen tips coming!

Clare - October 16, 2012 @ 11:10 am

Amazing—it’s like they say, you know you’re a woman when you do things while waiting for the microwave to ring. Anything that can save even a couple of minutes is useful. Thanks!

Julia - October 16, 2012 @ 2:47 pm

What a great post on time saving tips! I am going to use a few of these.
    Julia

kim - October 20, 2012 @ 5:34 am

I have been baking my bacon for maybe a year now but I put the cookie cooling racking on a cookie sheet then put the bacon on that. It cuts the fat a bit by not sitting in the fat while it’s cooking and I cook it at 350 for about 20 min. and there isn’t a mess in the oven because I cook it slower, just be super careful taking it out of the oven not to spill the grease on you or into the oven when taking it out. I made a huge mess the last time I cooked it because I didn’t use both hand :(

Marie - October 24, 2012 @ 9:41 am

Love this. I featured it on Make and Takes. And I’ll be baking some bacon today. Can’t wait!!

Erica Reinhart - October 25, 2012 @ 9:17 am

great tips! very helpful and time saving tips!

Fulton - October 26, 2012 @ 12:51 am

I love bakin bacon. Fun tricks: if you use foil, as mentioned above, you can make the strips stick together systematically for sammiches. Foil is also perfect for candied bacon – just add some brown sugar and maple syrup halfway thru. Combine trick one and trick two to make AWESOME pancake breakfast sammiches.

Emily - November 13, 2012 @ 12:45 pm

I love baking bacon because I don’t have to stand over the pan and flip the bacon. Also, no dishes to wash! I just throw the foil away. The only problem is my husband doesn’t like the taste of bacon from the oven so I only bake the bacon if I’m going to put it in something else, like a quiche. Any suggestions for making bacon from the oven taste as crispy and good as bacon from the skillet? Thanks!

Jill - December 21, 2012 @ 10:57 am

Great tip, I only recently learned that you can bake shrimp and cheese sandwiches in the oven too!!