While I’m running around like a chicken with it’s head cut off getting ready for our move, Shaina from Food for My Family is here today to share a recipe for Arugula and Chive Baked Egg Cups.
Shaina also has a cookbook coming out this June. Check it out! – Desserts in Jars: 50 Sweet Treats that Shine. Welcome, Shaina!
Despite the rash of warm weather we received in March where it felt more like we were nearing the summer solstice than the vernal equinox, my garden remains full of dirt and not much else. This is not by my choice.
As it were, spring decided to backtrack, turning cold and rainy. We even saw a few flakes just last week on a grey April morning. As such, all early garden ideas were pushed aside whilst sighing heavily.
I suppose it gives me a bit more time to plan the green that I will put in the ground, but I can’t say that I’m not disappointed having to wait to harvest produce just steps from my back door.
The warm weather did help out the perennial plants and early starters, though. Baby arugula, tarragon, chives all look just as large as they did in July of last year, when we didn’t see the sun until well into June. Perhaps all is not lost for the spring garden then. It just needs an open mind and a few eggs.
Shirred or baked eggs are one of my favorite meals. In all reality, all meals with eggs are my favorite. I recently declared 2012 the “Year of the Egg,” and I aim to keep to my word, serving egg dish after egg dish to family and friends.
These particular eggs are baked in a bed of fresh arugula with a bit of olive oil to soften it. Topped with parmesan and fresh chives from the overwintered garden, they foretell the harvest that is to come as summer nears.
What is your favorite way to eat eggs?
More Egg Recipes:
- Roasted Potato and Spinach Frittata with Feta
- Artichoke, Leek, and Potato Frittata
- Quiche Lorraine
- Individual Zucchini, Pepper, and Fontina Frittata
Get More Recipes via Email
Did you love this recipe? Sign up to receive Good Life Eats Email Updates and never miss another recipe!
- 1 cup baby arugula
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 4 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon fresh minced chives
- Kosher salt
- Preheat oven to 350º F.
- In a small bowl, combine the arugula, olive oil, and garlic.
- Separate the arugula mixture between 4 ramekins.
- Crack an egg in the center of each ramekin.
- Top the ramekins with the Parmesan cheese and chives.
- Lightly sprinkle with a bit of kosher salt.
- Place the ramekins on a baking sheet.
- Bake for 10-14 minutes or until the egg is nearly set. It should still be slightly soft.
- Remove from the oven and allow it to rest for 3-5 minutes for the egg to completely set. Serve warm.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition InformationYield 4 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 131Total Fat 11gTrans Fat 0gCarbohydrates 1gFiber 0gSugar 0gProtein 7g
About the Author:
She strives to teach her 4 children to cook and prepare real food in a day and age where many people have turned to convenience foods because they are so readily available and hopes to encourage others to do the same.
Shaina can usually be found in one of three places: cooking, at the computer or behind the camera.