I received an email a few weeks ago from a Betty Crocker representative asking if I’d like to help create some new Halloween/Fall recipes using General Mills cereals. I thought that sounded like a fun opportunity to be creative in the kitchen, so I said “Sure!” They sent me a box of several different cereals and I got to work.
I love having different trail mixes to snack on. They’re always full of yummy things, but many of them are processed with peanuts, and since we can’t have those things in our house (Logan is severely allergic to peanuts), I’ve taken to making my own mixes using ingredients I know are safe for him.
This mix looks just like Halloween to me with the dark chocolate chips and orange apricot chunks. I would have liked to use part white chocolate chips as well, but all the white chocolate chips are processed with peanuts. Bummer. The trail mix recipe received thumbs up all around from our family and is being taste tested by Logan’s preschool class (9 kids and 2 teachers) this afternoon. I filled small snack bags with about 1/3 cup (2/3 cup for the teachers) of trail mix and tied with a cute Halloween bow. Super cute (and healthy) treat for the fall season. Thanks, Betty Crocker, for a fun opportunity.
- 2 cups old fashioned oats
- 1 cup coconut
- 1 cup whole almonds
- 1/4 cup flax seeds
- 1/3 cup sunflower seeds
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/4 cup canola or olive oil
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cup cheerios
- 1 2/3 cup dried apricots, chopped
- 2/3 cup dark chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- In a medium bowl, combine the oats, coconut, honey, oil, sugar, and salt. Stir until well coated. Add the flax and sunflower seeds. Mix well. Spread mixture out on a large baking sheet. Bake for 35 minutes, stirring every 5-10 minutes.
- Remove the oat mixture from the oven and allow to completely cool. In a large bowl, stir in cheerios, apricots, and chocolate chips. Store in an airtight container.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition InformationYield 12 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 410Total Fat 20gSaturated Fat 5gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 14gCholesterol 1mgSodium 460mgCarbohydrates 56gFiber 7gSugar 37gProtein 7g
GoodLifeEats.com offers recipe nutritional information as a courtesy and is an estimate only. This information comes from online calculators. Although GoodLifeEats.com makes every effort to provide accurate information, these figures are only estimates.