Strawberry Orange Granita is a refreshing Italian frozen dessert with a coarse, flaky consistency. You make it by hand, rather than churning it in an ice cream maker, so no special tools are required!
I made this refreshing recipe for Strawberry Orange Granita last spring, fully intending to post it in celebration of the first day of summer.
Then life got busy. I started dating Kevin. We got engaged. We sold two homes, moved in to a rental while we built our new home. And somehow this recipe was lost in the abyss that is the “to post” folder on my computer. I guess it isn’t all that surprising.
Unfortunately there is this time period between about a year ago and now, where a lot of recipes got photographed and ultimately forgotten about. I definitely need to get out of that whole life has been busy, we just moved, now I have 4 kids instead of 2 (and don’t forget the dog) slump that I’ve been in the last year.
So, a year later, Happy Almost First Day of Summer! Logan, Madeline, and Kendall have their last days tomorrow. Kayden’s last day is on Thursday. I’m simultaneously completely freaked out and excited at the prospect of summer, and I don’t mean the weather or the season (because really we’ve had nothing but rain lately!).
No, I am freaked out by the prospect of school ending. It really feels like it arrived way too quickly this year. And this will be my first summer to work from home with 4 kids in the house. I’m trying to come up with a plan to manage it all and not lose my head.
I mean, just getting all the scheduling lined up for various summer camps, a potential summer vacation, and planning our one year anniversary party has been enough to send my head spinning.
On the flip side, I’m totally excited to not have to get everyone ready for school in the morning or have rushed afternoons of homework, chores, and dinner so that we can get everyone to bed on time for it to al repeat the next day.
Summertime also means gone are the months of weekends being consumed by sports games because no one is participating in any activities that have games on the weekends.
And the part I’m looking forward to the most – afternoons on the boat, all the summer recipes, cooking dinners on the grill and the smoker, neighborhood block parties, people actually being outside, getting our backyard landscaping in, having all our family out for our one year anniversary party…and making refreshing frozen desserts like this Strawberry Orange Granita to help beat the summer heat!
I told the kids several times last summer that we’d make granita, no churn blueberry cheesecake ice cream, creamy strawberry lemonade popsicles, and who knows what else. And it all got away from us! We didn’t make any of those, not even once.
I really hope to change things this summer, to find a way to set up a routine that allows for me to do the work at home mom stuff but also allows for plenty of time for the fun summertime things.
Fingers crossed we figure it out, because I definitely want to make this Strawberry Orange Granita again!
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup Fresh Squeezed Orange Juice
- 1 teaspoon Orange Zest
- 1 lb. Sliced and Hulled Strawberries
- Optional Garnishes: orange wedges, fresh strawberries, basil leaves
- In a medium saucepan, combine the sugar and water and cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until sugar is dissolved. Cool to room temperature.
- Put the cooled water and sugar (simple syrup), orange juice, wild orange essential oil, and strawberries in a blender. Puree until completely smooth.
- Transfer the strawberry orange puree to a 9x13 pan, glass (freezer safe) or plastic. Place the filled pan in the freezer for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, remove pan from freezer, rake the mixture with a fork to break up and crystals that have begun to form. Transfer the pan back to the freezer.
- Repeat every 25 – 30 minutes for about 3 hours, until the grantia is frozen into flakey crystals. Cover and freeze.
- Serve, if desired, with a small wedge or orange, half a strawberry and a basil leaf for garnish.
Try this recipe with different fruit combinations!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition InformationYield 6 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 110Total Fat 0gSaturated Fat 0gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 0gCholesterol 0mgSodium 3mgCarbohydrates 28gFiber 2gSugar 24gProtein 1g
GoodLifeEats.com offers recipe nutritional information as a courtesy and is an estimate only. This information comes from online calculators. Although GoodLifeEats.com makes every effort to provide accurate information, these figures are only estimates.