FEB

Black Bean Breakfast Burritos

Beans and Legumes, Breakfast and Brunch, Eggs, Main Dish, Mexican, Vegetarian | 21 comments

Everyone knows that breakfast for dinner is a guaranteed “go-to” meal on a busy day. Right? Tell me I’m not alone in this. It seems like fairly common knowledge. You pretty much always have eggs in the kitchen. Well, unless you’re Vegan.

Breakfast Burrito Ingredients

Unlike, Julia Roberts’ character in Runaway Bride, I know exactly how I like my eggs. Or rather, I know what I don’t like. I am not a fan of over easy or fried eggs. I like hard boiled if they are chopped up on salad, but only if the yolk is completely done. I am not a fan of runny, so scrambled is pretty much how I like to go. Scrambled and topped with salsa, cilantro, and feta. Yes, that is how I like them best. (Is it me, or did that last one sound like something out of a Dr. Seuss book. That seems to be all we read to Madeline these days. Anyway…)

Breakfast Burritos

Sometimes I want something breakfast-y that feels a little more dinner-y. Less sweet, more savory. That is what I love breakfast burritos for. There are endless variations of what you can include in them, though it seems like they should pretty much always have eggs in some form or another. I guess that is what makes them “breakfast” burritos. This is my new favorite version of a breakfast burrito because it has scrambled eggs exactly how I like them inside, mixed in with a few other things I love.

p.s. We ate Black Bean Breakfast Burritos twice for dinner this week.

Black Bean Breakfast Burritos

a goodLife {eats} creation

Breakfast Burritos

• 6 large eggs
  • 2 tablespoons milk
  • salt and pepper, to taste
  • 1/2 cup cilantro leaves, rinsed and chopped
  • 1 – 15 oz. can black beans, drained and rinsed
  • 3/4 cup feta cheese, crumbled
  • 1 avocado, diced
  • salsa, your choice of heat
  • 6 soft taco sized flour tortillas, warmed

Combine the eggs, milk, salt, and pepper. Hand beat the eggs using a whisk or fork until yolk and white are evenly mixed and the eggs are frothy, about 1-2 minutes.

Grease a nonstick saute pan and set it over medium-high heat. Add eggs to the pan. After the eggs begin to set, gently move them around in the pan with a spatula or wooded spoon. Move the eggs to the center while tilting your pan to redistribute the unset parts.

Break apart large pieces with your spoon or spatula. Turn the eggs as needed until the are cooked through. Stir in the chopped cilantro.

To assemble the burrito: divide the egg and black bean evenly among the tortillas. Garnish each burrito with feta, avocado, and salsa. Top with additional cilantro, if desired. Serve immediately.

Jessica - February 12, 2010 @ 1:53 pm

Your burritos look better than restaurant burritos. I love a good burrito, and while I don't like veggies, I love veggies burritos!

Kristen - February 12, 2010 @ 2:39 pm

One of my favorite things to eat. Lovely photos :)

susan - February 12, 2010 @ 3:02 pm

I think that my husband would love these and might be a good on-the-go breakfast for him. Thanks for sharing.

Tasty Eats At Home - February 12, 2010 @ 3:08 pm

These sound so wonderful! My husband is anti-vegetables or beans in his eggs, so I'll have to make him meat-cheese-egg breakfast burritos, but these would be ALL MINE! Yum.

Maria - February 12, 2010 @ 4:16 pm

I can't do savory for breakfast, I usually stick with oatmeal, but I will have to make this for dinner! Love it!

Jan (Family Bites) - February 12, 2010 @ 6:43 pm

Breakfast for dinner is the best! We did it last night with a leek frittata, a side of green beans and a slice of bread. I like the addition of feta to this instead of a heavier hard cheese.

Brandie - February 12, 2010 @ 11:27 pm

Oh gosh, those look fab!

Rochelle - February 13, 2010 @ 7:21 pm

These look amazing! Definitely going to try. I'm with you, I like scrambled eggs. The runny stuff…not so much. And I also agree that breakfast for dinner is great, but that sometimes it does need to be a little more savory. That's why I'm excited to try this one.

Dana - February 14, 2010 @ 12:01 am

I'm really not a breakfast eater (I know, I know) but these look totally delicious and so healthy. Maybe they can become dinner "breakfast" burritos at my house.

Kel - February 14, 2010 @ 2:47 am

These look fantastic and easy for a quick weeknight dinner. Thanks!

Deborah Dowd - February 14, 2010 @ 1:15 pm

These look great for any time of day!! Can't wait to give them a try!

Kerstin - February 14, 2010 @ 8:05 pm

Oh, these look fabulous! Such the perfect way to start the day!

solid wood furniture - February 15, 2010 @ 5:40 am

This is a healthy way to start the new year! Happy Chinese New Year! Thanks for sharing this one.

Stephanie - February 18, 2010 @ 8:59 pm

Simple. Delicious. Healthy. Vegetarian. I think I'm going to try them! :) stephanie@metropolitanmama.net

Soni - February 22, 2010 @ 12:18 am

"Brinner" is my favorite thing to make! And these are perfect because my husband isn't too fond of things like pancakes for dinner…but burritos will work perfectly! Nice photos, too!

Marisa - February 24, 2010 @ 2:51 pm

I can see why you had them twice! They look very tempting…

Shelley - March 08, 2010 @ 5:38 pm

I had this bookmarked for a while and finally tried it. Very yummy! Too bad no one else in my family would eat it. :( My daughter did eat the beans and eggs separately though.

Steph - May 24, 2010 @ 1:02 am

I just whipped these up for dinner after about a week of eyeing them… and they were a bit of a faith plunge for me. Your photos made them look fabulous, but the combination of flavors left me clueless about what to expect. How are eggs and avocado *supposed* to taste together? Would I regret this? The answer left me speechless (mostly becasue my mouth was full of burrito deliciousness! Nursing mom's rights – I ate 4 mini-burritos ;-) ) Left out the feta since I'm allergic but was still pleased with the flavor. I wasn't expecting a burrito taste, but it was deliciously burrito-y and filling. Thanks for the culinary adventure, Katie!=

Marisa - August 03, 2010 @ 8:17 am

I wouldn't mind these for breakfast, lunch or dinner!

Olivia - February 01, 2011 @ 4:43 pm

Yum! I’ll be making these this weekend, they look so good! Plus I already have all the ingredients:) Thanks for a fab recipe!

Katie - October 04, 2011 @ 3:10 pm

I made this last night. It was so good! Thanks.