MAR

NY Times Chocolate Chip Cookies

Chocolate, Cookies, Dessert | 23 comments

My dad is a pretty darn good cook. We always have fun in the kitchen together making differing things. He makes awesome sandwiches. Can grill anything. But one thing he’s the king of is making chocolate chip cookies. He’s been king for as long as I can remember. His recipe tastes great and is always baked with love.

IMG_1836-2

I’ll always remember how he likes to use brown paper grocery bags to lay them out on all over the counters to cool. And how awesome the kitchen smells. That he says the trick is to let it mix for a long time in the Kitchen Aid.

But now I’m in a bit of a predicament. Having a crisis of identity of sorts. My dad has always made the best cookies, until now. I’m pretty sure I’ve found a chocolate chip cookie recipe that I like even better than my dad’s. It’s so bad that I think we’ll have to do a blind taste-test next time we visit. I don’t really want him to lose the title of Chocolate Chip Cookie King, but this new to me recipe is out of this world! They’re the perfect crispness on the outside and chewy in the middle. With lots of gooey chocolate inside. And I love the sprinkling of salt on top to balance all the sugar.

The traditional chocolate chip flavor of this recipe is absolutely wonderful, so close to perfect that it really might be perfect. I’ve also made a special variation with my dad in mind, since I know how much he loves pistachios. (‘Cause I love them just as much).

White Chocolate Chip Pistachio Cookies

• 2 large eggs
  • 2 teaspoons natural vanilla extract
  • 12 ounces shelled pistachios
  • 1 1/3 cup dried apricots, chopped
  • 1 lb. white chocolate chips
  • Sea salt

Sift flours, baking soda, baking powder and salt into a bowl. Set aside. In another bowl, mix the pistachios, apricots, and white chocolate chips together until they’re evenly dispersed. Set aside.

Using a mixer fitted with paddle attachment, cream butter and sugars together until very light, about 5 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition. Stir in the vanilla. Reduce speed to low, add dry ingredients and mix until just combined, 5 to 10 seconds. Drop white chocolate, pistachio, and apricot pieces in and incorporate them without breaking them. Press plastic wrap against dough and refrigerate for 24 to 36 hours. Dough may be used in batches, and can be refrigerated for up to 72 hours.

When ready to bake, preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a nonstick baking mat. Set aside.

Scoop 6 3 1/2-ounce mounds of dough (the size of generous golf balls) onto baking sheet, making sure to turn horizontally any chocolate pieces that are poking up; it will make for a more attractive cookie. Sprinkle lightly with sea salt and bake until golden brown but still soft, 18 to 20 minutes. Transfer sheet to a wire rack for 10 minutes, then slip cookies onto another rack to cool a bit more. Repeat with remaining dough, or reserve dough, refrigerated, for baking remaining batches the next day. Eat warm, with a big napkin.

Yield: 1 1/2 dozen 5-inch cookies.

Note: For regular sized cookies, use a heaping tablespoon and bake for approximately 12 minutes.

Chocolate Chip Cookies

• 1 1/4 cups (10 ounces) light brown sugar
  • 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons (8 ounces) granulated sugar
  • 2 large eggs
  • 2 teaspoons natural vanilla extract
  • 1 1/4 pounds bittersweet chocolate chips, at least 60 percent cacao content
  • Sea salt

Sift flours, baking soda, baking powder and salt into a bowl. Set aside.

Using a mixer fitted with paddle attachment, cream butter and sugars together until very light, about 5 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition. Stir in the vanilla. Reduce speed to low, add dry ingredients and mix until just combined, 5 to 10 seconds. Drop chocolate pieces in and incorporate them without breaking them. Press plastic wrap against dough and refrigerate for 24 to 36 hours. Dough may be used in batches, and can be refrigerated for up to 72 hours.

Yield: 1 1/2 dozen 5-inch cookies.

Jessica @ How Sweet - March 01, 2010 @ 12:04 pm

I definitely want to try both cookies! They white chocolate ones look so unique!

Rebecca - March 01, 2010 @ 2:20 pm

Your pictures are adorable! I wish that I had a cookie to go with my coffee right now :)

Amy from She Wears Many Hats - March 01, 2010 @ 2:43 pm

These both look incredible -wish I had some right now too! And pistachios and chocolate? Yum.

Tasty Eats At Home - March 01, 2010 @ 3:00 pm

Wow, those white chocolate ones sound amazing. Love that there are pistachios and apricots. Wow.

Maria - March 01, 2010 @ 3:27 pm

The NYT are REALLY good. Josh's new favorite. I will have to try the other ones. Both look wonderful.

Barbara Bakes - March 01, 2010 @ 3:54 pm

I've seen many posts raving about these cookies. I don't know why I've waited so long to try them. Love your little cookie basket!

Jan (Family Bites) - March 01, 2010 @ 5:48 pm

Mmm…love the sound of the white chocolate ones. Delicious photos!

Memória - March 01, 2010 @ 5:53 pm

I made these cookies, too and just posted about them! I made mine with three different types of chocolate, though, including white chocolate. Your photos are incredible!! I love the last photo and the pastel green color in the cookies.

Vanillastrawberryspringfields - March 01, 2010 @ 6:27 pm

Chocolate chip and im an eager beaver….love love love these cookies ….

The Purple Foodie - March 01, 2010 @ 7:15 pm

I's been soo long since I made chooclate chip cookies. The OH has been pestering me to make him some. This is an excellent reminder! I too love the NY times chocolate chip cookie with salt sprinkled in top.

Lucy - March 01, 2010 @ 7:34 pm

Having a Dad as chocolate chip cookie King must be pretty fab! I love white chocolate cookies – extra melty and delicious. These look gorgeous!

Su-yin - March 01, 2010 @ 10:17 pm

Loving the white chocolate pistachio cookies. Inspired!

Sursi - March 02, 2010 @ 1:39 am

I've heard about these. Would you be willing to share your dad's recipe? I'm a bit a chocolate chip cookie connoisseur.

Lauren - March 02, 2010 @ 2:51 am

Katie, both of those cookies look heavenly. Just the right flavours =D. I'd love both!

Gala - March 02, 2010 @ 3:08 pm

Love the second variation, the combination sounds delicious.

Jennifer - March 02, 2010 @ 7:19 pm

The mix of the two flours seems odd. Cake flour is very low gluten and bread flour is high gluten, I wonder if it would all even out if all purpose flour was used for all of it. It would definitely be easier.

Miki - March 03, 2010 @ 12:31 am

Yummy! I follow your blog regularly and have awarded you the "ONE SWEETALICOUS BLOG AWARD" please come by my blog for the details. http://freshlemonblossoms.blogspot.com/2010/03/sweetalicious.html Thanks for having such a sweet blog!

Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction - March 05, 2010 @ 5:03 pm

Yum! Both of those cookies look fantastic! I might have to mix up a batch (or two) this weekend!

Pierre - June 21, 2010 @ 5:12 pm

In case anyone is interested, the http://www.TheGrinningGourmet.com tested 10 different CC cookies and the NY Times cookie came out ahead. The runner-up cookie (David Lebovitz CCC) was almost as good but does not require cake or pastry flour.

Honey - July 21, 2010 @ 5:42 pm

These look so delicious! I think I need some tonight! Thanks for sharing

sara - October 12, 2010 @ 8:07 pm

I can’t wait to try both recipes! I grew up cooking with my father and he’s my king of cooking too – I can so relate to the feelings involved in liking my own recipes as well as one of his. I love family cooking traditions- so special & wonderful!

annmarie - June 12, 2011 @ 6:36 pm

thanks for posting these recipes, they are amazing. Over the last 4 years the recipe that I had always used started to fail. my cookies came out flat and too buttery tasting. I decided to give your recipe a try a few weeks ago and my family and I LOVE them. The recipe was so good I made some for my preschooler’s teachers. I have made the cookies a few times a week for the last several weeks, it’s a keeper!