Cannoli Sandwich Cookies
Sometimes I have crazy ideas. Crazy food ideas. Taking one thing and turning it into another. That is what happened yesterday. It was all I could think about until I was able to hit the grocery store this morning for some of the necessary ingredients. Necessary ingredients because I had to make these cookies. It wasn’t even an option anymore.
And so I made them. They were good. They were very very good.
- 1 c butter, softened
- 3/4 c sugar
- 1/4 c brown sugar, packed
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 1/4 c flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp orange zest
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 c finely chopped pistachios
- 3/4 c whole milk ricotta (drained overnight with cheesecloth or a fine-mesh strainer and squeezed dry)
- 8 oz. mascarpone cheese
- 1/3 c powdered sugar
- 3/4 tsp vanilla
- 4 oz. semi-sweet chocolate
- 1 tsp shortening
- Beat butter at medium speed until creamy. Gradually add sugar and brown sugar, beating well. Add egg and vanilla, beat till combined.
- Combine flour, baking powder, zest, and cinnamon. Add to butter mixture. Beat at medium speed. Stir in pistachios.
- Shape dough into 2 – 6-inch logs. Wrap with wax paper and freeze until firm. Slice frozen dough into 1/8 inch thick rounds. Place rounds on a parchment paper-lined cookie sheet.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 10-12 minutes, or until lightly browned at edges. Cool 1 minute on pan. Cool completely on wire rack.
- Mix filling ingredients together. Fill a pastry bag or ziplock bag with filling. Chill until ready to use. To fill sandwiches, pipe filling on the underside of one cookie. Top cookie with another.
- Melt chocolate and shortening together. Drizzle over assembled cookies.
Cannoli filling adapted from RecipeGirl
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition InformationYield 24 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 247Total Fat 16gSaturated Fat 9gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 6gCholesterol 45mgSodium 155mgCarbohydrates 23gFiber 1gSugar 13gProtein 4g