Fajita Burger with Peppers and Guacamole
A couple weeks ago Eric was out of town. On the last day I told the kids that I’d take them to a certain fast food place for an ice cream. Being that it was the end of the week and I didn’t feel like cooking for myself I decided that I’d let them eat dinner there too if they wanted. Not something I usually do, but they’d had a great week
In a moment of weakness I was enticed by the Fajita Burger poster. In my delirium I must have forgotten what everyone knows: That these fast food posters always look so much better than what you’re actually served.
I couldn’t even make it half way through the so-called “Fajita Burger,” which actually tasted like really spicy cardboard sprinkled with a few bell peppers. I knew it was time to recreate this promising meal at home.
My version of the fast-food chain’s Fajita Burger is loaded with flavor. Juicy, high quality beef seasoned with a Tex-Mex flair, fresh roasted salsa verde guacamole, and the traditional fajita-style bell pepper and onion mixture makes this burger taste just like a fajita.
Next time you have a craving for a grilled burger, give this recipe a try. You won’t be disappointed. Serve it with a side of corn, grilled or boiled, and smeared with Cilantro-Lime Butter and a glass of fresh limeade to round out the meal.
More Burger Recipes
Craving a burger? Check out these recipes:
- Bacon and Blue Cheese Sliders | Simple Bites
- Blue Cheese Balsamic Burgers | GoodLife Eats
- Homemade Hamburger Buns | GoodLife Eats
- Saucy Chipotle Burgers | My Kitchen Addiction
- Teriyaki Turkey Burgers and Homemade BBQ Sauce | GoodLife Eats
- Turkey Black Bean Burgers | Dine and Dish
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1/4 cup salsa
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons finely minced cilantro
- 4 slices Pepper Jack Cheese
- 1 medium onion thinly sliced, yellow or purple
- 1/2 green bell pepper, sliced into strips
- 1 red or orange bell pepper, sliced into strips
- Guacamole, such as Roasted Tomatillo Guacamole
- Hamburger Buns
- In a medium bowl, combine the ground beef with salsa, Worcestershire, cumin, chili powder, salt, pepper, and cilantro. Using your hands, mix until the ingredients are well incorporated.
- Divide mixture into 4 equal portions (using a kitchen scale helps). Form patties into rounds about 1/4 inch thick. Set aside. (This can also be done ahead and burgers can be refrigerated uncooked for a few hours, just bring to room temperature for 15-20 minutes before cooking.)
- Meanwhile, prepare the onions and peppers by heating a medium saute or cast iron pan over medium-high heat. Add 1/2 - 1 tablespoon canola oil. Add the peppers and onions and let cook until they begin to brown, then stir every minute or so. Cook for total 5-7 minutes, or until desired tenderness is reached.
- Prepare the grill or grill pan by heating to high heat. Cook the burgers for 2-3 minutes per side, or until desired doneness is reached. Melt sliced pepper jack cheese on top of each burger.
- Serve burgers on toasted buns with guacamole and the cooked pepper and onion mixture.
adapted from Sante Fe Burgers
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition InformationYield 4 Serving Size 1
Amount Per ServingCalories 445 Total Fat 24g Saturated Fat 11g Trans Fat 0g Unsaturated Fat 10g Cholesterol 126mg Sodium 903mg Carbohydrates 15g Net Carbohydrates 0g Fiber 2g Sugar 5g Sugar Alcohols 0g Protein 42g
This post was written on behalf of Sargento, all opinions are my own.