OCT

Kitchen Tip: Trick for Filling Muffin Tins

Kitchen Tips & Tricks | 30 comments

For a long time I didn’t like making muffins or cupcakes because I thought it was just too messy and cumbersome to fill up the muffin tins. Not anymore! About a year ago I started using this trick. It saves so much time and mess.

I use a Pampered Chef Large Scoop which holds the perfect amount for a standard muffin cup. Scoop up the batter, squeeze and release into the muffin tin. You don’t have to use the Pampered Chef Scoop, any scoop with a squeeze action handle that holds 3 tablespoons will work great.

trick for filling muffin tins

So simple! Look how neat they come out? No batter drippings all over the counter or edges of the pan. They’re all perfectly proportioned and the same size so they cook evenly. Plus, the kids think it is super fun to help out with this. Logan is pretty good, Madeline is still learning. We love this time saving trick!

trick for muffins and cupcakes

Recipe pictured: Chocolate Pumpkin Cupcakes with Orange Pumpkin Cream Cheese Frosting

Jessica Lynn - October 19, 2010 @ 7:06 am

I love that idea, but since I’m left handed I have yet to find a scoop with a trigger that works for my left hand. And if I do find one, it’s ridiculously expensive. In the mean time I have to use a soup spoon and just spray it with Pam.

• Krista replied: — October 20th, 2010 @ 5:44 PM

I’m also left-handed and I actually use a scoop very similar to the Norpro that is listed in the link from Kristin. It works awesome for our family where 2 of us are lefties and 2 are righties. Oxo makes them like that as well in varying sizes.

Barbara Bakes - October 19, 2010 @ 7:07 am

I use scoops too. So much easier. Cute muffin papers.

Estela @ Weekly Bite - October 19, 2010 @ 7:27 am

I like using a scoop for my muffins, cupcakes and cookies too :) It makes like a lot easier!

Ammie @ domesticallyobsessed.com - October 19, 2010 @ 7:39 am

*Swwwwoooon*

I love Pampered Chef. My girlfriend has a ton of their products and they really are amazing.

Rachel - October 19, 2010 @ 7:44 am

I use the PC scoop too. Love it! My problem is filling those tiny cupcake/muffin pans. Sometimes I use a children’s plastic medicine cup.

• Katie

Katie replied: — October 19th, 2010 @ 8:05 AM

The smallest size PC scoop is perfect for mini muffins! There are 3 different sizes.

Catey - October 19, 2010 @ 8:38 am

I started doing this a few years ago and after I’d done it once or twice I thought “WHY did I never do this before?!” It definitely makes the job much easier-especially with kids involved! This is such a great tip to pass on!

Erin - October 19, 2010 @ 12:40 pm

I use an ice cream scoop for big muffins and a cookie scoop for mini muffins. I’m a big fan – and you don’t end up with batter all over the pan between the muffins!

Tessa - October 19, 2010 @ 1:56 pm

This is the only way I ever fill up muffin tins! Sooo much easier. Sur la table sells all different sized spring-loaded scoops that are perfect for filling muffin tins.

DessertForTwo - October 19, 2010 @ 3:45 pm

This is my favorite kitchen time-saver!

Those are some cute muffin paper liners :)

Wenderly - October 19, 2010 @ 4:52 pm

*LOVE* those muffin papers! Darling!

Denise (the apple hill adventurer) - October 19, 2010 @ 4:53 pm

those look DELISH!
    still no word from the guy you had me email my address to. should I be waiting for a response from him? like i said before, my email gets sent to spam a lot!

• Katie

Katie replied: — October 19th, 2010 @ 4:58 PM

I have not heard from him yet either. I will follow up tomorrow.

Liz@ BLog is the New Black - October 19, 2010 @ 6:22 pm

I do the same thing with an ice cream scoop! No mess!

Nancy-The Sensitive Pantry - October 19, 2010 @ 6:37 pm

Perfect! PS- this technique also works well for making whoopie pies.

Sakura - October 19, 2010 @ 7:43 pm

Thanks for the tip. Loved it!

Jackie - October 19, 2010 @ 8:06 pm

That’s what I do too!!! It works sooo great!!!

Michelle (What's Cooking) - October 19, 2010 @ 11:11 pm

Eons ago, I used to be a Pampered Chef consultant…back in the day when my kids were in diapers and I longed for adult conversation. Needless to say, I LOVE those scoops and use then to fill my muffin tins too! On another note – their food chopper is a god-send when you are cooking with kids!

bigFATcook - October 20, 2010 @ 12:48 am

good idea!! And they come out equal size!!

Greets from BFC !!

Jarnette @ Seasons of Life - October 20, 2010 @ 10:45 pm

We love many of the Pampered Chef products AND use the cookie scoop for dropping our muffin batter into the pans, too. It really does save the mess – which saves the clean up. Great sharing post…

Blessings ~

Natasha @ Saved by the Egg Timer - October 22, 2010 @ 9:59 pm

Me too! I hated it and lately I have been ding the exact same thing with a large cookie scoop. It ends up the perfect amount too.

Dina - October 23, 2010 @ 4:28 pm

great tip! thanks!

pat - October 24, 2010 @ 7:37 am

Likewise, the small Pampered Chef scoop works wonderfully with the mini cupcake pans…I used to hate cleaning the cupcake pans, but now I always use papers and life is good again…

Donna - October 24, 2010 @ 3:09 pm

I’m left-handed too, and bought an expensive scoop with the trigger action, for right handers. the problem for lefties is: when you go to scoop, the metal arm or bail inside the scoop is in the way and you can’t easily dig in to what you’re scooping. However, next time i’m going to try squeezing the handle to move that bail to the other side while i scoop. It’s either that, or give it to one of my right-handed friends.

Annie - October 26, 2010 @ 12:55 pm

I use my scoop to fill the pans… and to portion frosting! Check it out: http://twitpic.com/2zuiak

Tracy - January 30, 2011 @ 4:21 pm

I use a bowl w/a spout for easy pouring, works great too!

Heather - December 23, 2012 @ 8:13 pm

I’ve seen the scoop idea before, but does it work as well with thinner batters? In the photos your batter seems pretty thick to me, or maybe my cupcake batters are always way too thin??