SEP

Kitchen Tip: DIY Homemade Cake Flour

Kitchen Tips & Tricks | 25 comments

When I got ready to bake up Madeline’s Yellow Birthday Cake Cupcakes last week for our family party night, I noticed that I was out of cake flour. I did not want to head out of another errand just to pick up a box of flour after spending the morning at various craft and party stores picking up the remaining items on my party list.

easy diy cake flour substitute

Photo credits: Grinding Your Own Flours and Using Whole Grains
by Allison of Some the Wiser

I was also out of buttermilk, but I already knew a good homemade buttermilk substitute. A quick message to my friend Shaina on Skype was returned with the answer I needed. “Okie dokie, then.” I said and proceeded to bake up some scrumptious cupcakes for my birthday girl using this easy DIY substitute. I wouldn’t use this all the time, but it is nice when you’re in a pinch.

Since I didn’t know about this handy substitution, I am guessing that a few of you probably did not know about it either. Thanks again, Shaina, for sharing this!

Yummy Recipes using Cake Flour:

What are your favorite DIY Kitchen Substitutes?

Pin It
Print This Print This

Easy DIY Substitute: How to Make Homemade Cake Flour

All it takes are two common ingredients that you’ve likely already got stocked away in your kitchen cabinets. Next time you find yourself needing cake flour, try this easy DIY cake flour substitute rather than running to the store.

You’ll Need:

• All-Purpose Flour
  • Cornstarch
  • Measuring Cups
  • Measuring Spoons
  • Bowl
  • Whisk

Directions For 1/2 cup Homemade Cake Flour Substitute:

Add 1 tablespoon cornstarch to a 1/2 cup measuring cup. Fill the remaining space with all-purpose flour. Pour mixture into a small bowl and whisk to combine. Proceed with the recipe as instructed.

Directions For 1 cup Homemade Cake Flour Substitute:

Add 2 tablespoons cornstarch to a 1 cup measuring cup. Fill the remaining space with all-purpose flour. Pour mixture into a small bowl and whisk to combine. Proceed with the recipe as instructed.

Directions For 2 cups Homemade Cake Flour Substitute:

Combine 1/4 cup cornstarch and 1 3/4 cup all-purpose flour in a bowl. Whisk gently to sift the mixture together. Proceed with the recipe as instructed.

Carrie@Baeaholic Mama - September 14, 2011 @ 6:29 am

Oh I love this! I’ll save this for the next time I run out of cake flour! I often find myself in the same situation when I’m out of things…. its normally buttermilk and I do the DIY buttermilk allot!

Frostine - September 14, 2011 @ 6:55 am

I’ve never tried this, but now I’m going to have to. I recently did a comparison of cake flour vs. all-purpose flour on my blog. This would be a handy tip to pass on. Thanks for sharing it!

Girls' Guide to Guns and Butter - September 14, 2011 @ 7:36 am

So cornstarch is what it takes? I’ll be darned. That’s great to know, I hate the supermarket stuff, so I want to do this with the organic flour I buy in bulk.

Amber | Bluebonnets & Brownies - September 14, 2011 @ 8:21 am

This is awesome. You know why? I can’t usually find King Arthur Flour cake flour around here, and all my grocery store sells is the horrible bleached kind. I don’t need chemicals in my cupcakes, thank you very much!

Deborah - September 14, 2011 @ 8:39 am

I love this because I don’t need cake flour enough to usually justify buying a whole box! Definitely saving this!

Amanda - September 14, 2011 @ 9:07 am

Ok, so I JUST wrote a post on this! Your is laid out so beautifully and easy to understand. Perfection as always Katie!

Amy @ A Little Nosh - September 14, 2011 @ 11:24 am

I’ve never actually bought cake flour. I always use AP or wheat, so I either substitute, or avoid the recipe. Now I don’t have to avoid the recipe!

Ali @ Gimme Some Oven - September 14, 2011 @ 1:04 pm

That’s wild! I actually just learned the cornstarch tip and tried it out earlier this week. I agree — so much more convenient than making another trip to the store! :)

Brandie (@ Home Cooking Memories) - September 14, 2011 @ 9:07 pm

This is so helpful to me – I didn’t realize there was a substitute!

Sukaina - September 15, 2011 @ 5:25 am

cake flour is rather expensive here in dubai so i always make my own! exactly the same as above :)

Jen at The Three Little Piglets - September 15, 2011 @ 6:22 am

Great tip! I’m always finding myself mixing up a substitute for bisquick when I come across a recipe that calls for it – it’s just not something I normally buy or keep in my pantry.

Kristin - September 15, 2011 @ 1:00 pm

Thank you! I always run out of cake flour and never want to fight the lines at the store just for a box of it!

Suzi - September 15, 2011 @ 4:35 pm

I love cornstarch – helps reduce prickly heat rash, as well as diaper rash, primary ingredient in my favorite vanilla pudding and now I can make yummy cakes anytime. Thank you.

Laura (Blogging Over Thyme) - September 15, 2011 @ 6:28 pm

Wow! I never knew this–its amazing the substitutes and easy solutions that are out there. I wish there was a book full of them! :)

I’ll definitely use this tip at some point. Thanks for sharing!

Sherilyn @ Wholepromise - September 15, 2011 @ 8:15 pm

I love making my own flours and grinding them. Really practical info here – great post!

Jo Green - September 16, 2011 @ 8:53 am

Oh great! This will be helpful if I am in a pinch. Thanks for sharing!

Jamie | My Baking Addiction - September 16, 2011 @ 2:21 pm

Such a great tip to keep in your back pocket! Thanks for sharing.

Archie - September 18, 2011 @ 8:50 am

I particularly use cake flour to achieve a moist and crumbly cake. But then, when I started using all purpose flour on my recipes, I got no significant effects on my moist cakes.

Pam - September 18, 2011 @ 9:24 am

Really? That’s it? Flour and cornstarch and you have cake flour? I just did not know that. Thanks!!!

Ericka - September 18, 2011 @ 4:30 pm

Just discovered your blog via “suggested follows” on Twitter. Immediately fell in love with it! Adorable. Funny you posted about cake flour because I just used it for the first time yesterday. I’m SUCH a newbie to cooking that I didn’t even know there was specific flour for cake. Sad! I’m learning though. Anyway, look forward to reading more of your delicious recipes and posts!

Robyn | Add a Pinch - September 21, 2011 @ 5:01 pm

Such a great tip, Katie!

JulieD - September 23, 2011 @ 7:06 pm

Katie, I love this…I’ll definitely need this in the future.

Kim @ Eat What You've Got - October 12, 2011 @ 5:20 am

Great post! Thanks so much for sharing this tip!

Renee B - December 28, 2011 @ 4:06 pm

Thank you! I have bypassed so many recipes because I did not have cake flour on hand!

Aya B. - August 23, 2012 @ 9:09 am

Great Post, Thank You
    I used To substitute cake flour with all purpose flour all the time if I didn’t have it in hand
    Does it make a huge difference if I used cake flour instead!!!!