I am an official brand advocate for Bel Brands in 2013. While I receive compensation for participation as a brand advocate, opinions are my own.
This Toasted Cucumber and Avocado Sandwich is so easy that it isn’t really a recipe, but it is something that I’ve enjoyed for lunch in the last week.
For this particular version of a cucumber sandwich I decided to use a thick, hearty whole grain bread rather than the delicate tea bread that is usually seen on a cucumber sandwich. The bread choice paired with the cheese and avocado made this a filling sandwich for lunch that was completely satisfying.
5 Simple Ways to Dress up a Sandwich
1. Use non-traditional bread. Whether it is with baguette, a wrap, focaccia, or a bagel you can add a little more style to your sandwich if you stray from sandwich bread. If you can, make your own breads. It’s not as hard as it seems and will save your precious money. Bakery bread is a pretty penny.
2. Spread it with something other than mayo and mustard. I love using Laughing Cow cheese instead of mayonnaise.
3. Grill, toast, or broil it. This can change a lot: melted cheese, a hot sandwich, crispy bread, all of these change the feel of the sandwich.
4. Use out of ordinary fillings. Experiment with different cheese, vegetables, and meats (or lack of for vegetable loaded sandwiches). Consider roasting or caramelizing onions and mushrooms instead of using fresh for different flavors.
Look around in your fridge for what you already have on hand and you’ll be inspired to create new combination. Sandwiches are a great way to use up remnant ingredients from previous meals.
5. When all else fails, take inspiration from your favorite deli menu. Most deli sandwiches are not that difficult to recreate at home. A simple glance at the ingredient list or sandwich name can give you all sorts of inspiration, and may even spark a completely new idea.
What is your favorite easy sandwich recipe?
Cucumber and Avocado Sandwich
Yield: 1 sandwich
2 slices hearty whole grain bread
2 wedges Laughing Cow Garden Vegetable Cream Cheese Spread
2 - 3 tablespoons mashed avocado
12 thin slices cucumber
salt and pepper, to taste
Toast the bread. Spread each slice of bread with the Laughing Cow Garden Vegetable Cream Cheese Spread on one side. Top the cheese on both slices with mashed avocado. Then, layer the cucumber slices on top and sprinkle with salt and pepper (if desired). Eat open faced or place the two halves together.
Other great additions would be alfalfa sprouts, bacon, tomato slices, sliced olives, red bell pepper.