Your typical BBQ Coleslaw gets a makeover with the addition of jalapeño for just a touch of heat for your tastebuds!
It’s a little funny to me that I’ve been writing on Good Life Eats for so many years and I haven’t ever posted a classic coleslaw recipe.
Of course, I couldn’t keep it totally simple when experimenting with recipes.
I added in a bit of finely minced jalapeño (seeds removed and discarded) for just a touch of heat.
This Creamy Jalapeño BBQ Coleslaw is my new favorite for a BBQ.
I think the creaminess pairs so well with the spice of the pepper, but it is just basic enough that it goes with all your favorite summertime BBQ foods, like ribs, burgers, hot dogs, brats, or brisket.
Coleslaw is totally a must-have when it comes to summertime entertaining, because almost everyone usually likes it and it is easy to prepare.
In fact, with this recipe, you can make it the night before and allow it to chill in the fridge to free up your to-do list on the day of your party.
Memorial Day is just a little over a week away which marks the start of summer for us since it is the first week with no school and I definitely think a backyard BBQ is in order.
More Memorial Day BBQ Recipes
Looking for some more ideas to serve for a Memorial Day BBQ? Here are some of my favorite, seasonal recipe ideas:
If burgers are on your menu, try these Blue Cheese Turkey Burgers with Caramelized Onions for something a little different.
Macaroni Salad is always a hit at a summer BBQ. This recipe has sugar snaps peas and radishes to round it out, and add a pop of color.
Another delicious, crowd-pleasing side to try is Smokey Grilled Sweet Potato Wedges.
If tomatoes are your think, you can’t go wrong with Roasted Tomato Caprese Salad.
Sparkling Rhubarb Raspberry Lemonade is a refreshing drink to pair with a BBQ picnic.
For dessert, these Red, White, and Blue Berry Dessert Bites are both easy, delicious, and festive.
What are your Memorial Day plans?
Did you love this post?
Sign up for Good Life Eats email updates and never miss another update!
- 16 ounces pre-shredded Tri Color Coleslaw mix (green cabbage, purple cabbage, and carrot)
- 1/3 cup shredded Carrots
- 1 small deseeded Jalapeno, finely diced
- 1/2 cup Mayonnaise
- 2 1/4 tablespoons Milk
- 2 1/4 tablespoons Buttermilk
- 1 1/4 tablespoons Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 3/4 tablespoons Lemon Juice
- 1/4 cup White Sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1/4 teaspoon Black Pepper
- In a large plastic or glass mixing bowl, combine the coleslaw mix, shredded carrots, and jalapeno. Set aside.
- In a 2 cup glass measuring cup, combine the mayonnaise, milk, buttermilk, apple cider vinegar, and lemon juice. Whisk until smooth.
- Add the sugar, salt and black pepper to the liquid mixture. Whisk until well combined.
- Pour the prepared liquid mixture over the cabbage mixture. Stir, using a wooden spoon or a spatula, until well coated.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for an hour or up to overnight.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition InformationYield 10 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 202Total Fat 15gTrans Fat 0gCarbohydrates 15gFiber 1gSugar 10gProtein 3g