I hope everyone had an enjoyable, delicious, fun-filled Thanksgiving. Now that we’ve gotten through that milestone of the 2011 Holiday season, we can start talking about Christmas cookies! One of our family’s favorite parts about December is baking and decorating Christmas cookies (and listening to Christmas music).
Last year we added a new cookie to our repertoire, the Chocolate Gingerbread Men that I featured as a part of the Holiday Recipe Exchange. That twist on a classic gingerbread cookie ended up being one of our favorite cookies from 2010.
Because I like taking favorite recipes and tweaking them with new flavors, I thought I’d do the same thing this year. I used a recipe I’ve made before for Swedish Crescent Cookies and added orange zest and pistachios to switch things up a bit.
Pistachios have always been one of my favorite nuts and I think they taste great with orange. Crescent Cookies are easily adaptable with whatever nuts you have on hand or enjoy the most.
The OXO Good Grips Small Cookie Scoop is the perfect size for these cookies. You can shape them as crescents as the name implies, or just roll the portioned amount from the scoop into pretty little balls. I love to use cookie scoops to ensure evenly proportioned cookies.
Since you’ll be digging out your favorite recipes for Christmas cookies soon, if you haven’t already, you’ll definitely want to participate in this week’s Holiday Recipe Exchange sponsored by OXO. Why? Because the theme is Christmas cookies of course!
Join Jamie and me this week in sharing your recipes for your Favorite Christmas Cookies for a chance to win a great cookie baking utensil gift set from OXO. OXO offers some seriously awesome kitchen gadgets and I know you’ll love the tools in today’s selection. They were selected with the purpose of making your Christmas cookie baking a little bit simpler.
Now, we want to know what your favorite Christmas cookie is, so join in on the fun and link up your recipe for a chance to win this fab OXO set! Check out Jamie’s Rum Balls.
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup confectioner's sugar, plus additional for coating
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/3 cup very finely chopped pistachios
- zest of one orange
- In a bowl, beat the butter and 1/2 cup sugar together until light and fluffy. Add the vanilla extract, yolk. Beat till combined. Slowly stir in the flour, nuts, and zest.
- For the dough into a ball and flatten into a disc shape. Cover and chill for 2 hours.
- When you are ready to bake, preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper. Remove a heaping tablespoon of dough at a time, shaping into crescent shapes.
- Arrange about 1 1/2 inches apart on prepared baking sheets. Bake until cookies are lightly golden around the edges, about 15-20 minutes. While still warm, coat the cookies with confectioners sugar. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition InformationYield 18 Serving Size 2 cookies
Amount Per Serving Calories 228Total Fat 15gSaturated Fat 7gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 7gCholesterol 37mgSodium 44mgCarbohydrates 20gFiber 2gSugar 4gProtein 4g
GoodLifeEats.com offers recipe nutritional information as a courtesy and is an estimate only. This information comes from online calculators. Although GoodLifeEats.com makes every effort to provide accurate information, these figures are only estimates.
How To Participate
For a chance to win an OXO Cookie Baking Utensil Gift Set valued at $150.88 (details of prize specifics below):
- Write and post a recipe on your blog featuring YOUR BEST CHRISTMAS COOKIE.
- Include “Come join the fun at the My Baking Addiction and GoodLife Eats Holiday Recipe Swap sponsored by OXO.” in your blog post.
- No blog? Just leave your recipe in the comments section.
- Add your link to the widget on either GoodLife Eats or My Baking Addiction (we have the same widget code, so only add it on one site).
- Submit your post before December. 5, 11:59 PM.
- Anyone can participate in the link up, but the prizes will ship to US addresses only.
- More detailed info are available here.
Link Up Your Recipes:
Love any of the recipes featured in today’s Holiday Recipe Exchange? If so, be sure to to use the Ziplist Web Recipe Clipper to add your holiday favorites to your online recipe box.
‘); // ]]>
This Week’s Prize:
Cookie Baking Utensil Gift Set valued at $150.88
- Good Grips Egg Beater
- Good Grips Good Cookie Spatula
- Good Grips Spice Grater
- Good Grips Fine Zester/Grater
- Good Grips Batter Bowl
- Good Grips 3-Piece Mixing Bowl Set, Blue/Green/Yellow
- Good Grips 2-Cup Angled Measuring Cup
- Good Grips Multi-Purpose Pastry Scraper/Chopper
- Good Grips Measuring Spoons, Stainless Steel
- Good Grips Measuring Cups, Stainless Steel
- Good Grips Silicone Pastry Brush
- Good Grips Medium Cookie Scoop
Prizes provided by OXO.