SEP

Pumpkin Pie Oatmeal

Breakfast and Brunch, Fall Recipes, Healthy Eating, Oatmeal, Seasonal Recipes | 90 comments

I’ve been doing a lot of work away from the kitchen: planting my fall garden (broccoli, brussel sprouts, swiss chard, red cabbage, spinach, arugula, and beets), picking dozens and dozens of tomatoes – they are still coming!, planting bulbs for the coming spring (yellow & orange tulips, narcissus, and allium) to add to the daffodils and blue hyacinth I planted last year, and staining the new wood boarder/bench around the kids play area. It’s been a great week to be outside, especially in the morning and evening because it’s September and that means Fall is on it’s way!

With all the outdoor work I’ve been doing, I have needed a tasty and hearty breakfast. Something that will stick with me and give me energy to work through my to-do list. And work through have I done!

I’ve never been much of a cold cereal person in the mornings. I prefer muffins, pancakes, waffles, coffee cake, granola with fruit and yogurt. Now that the mornings are cooling off, oatmeal sounds good again too. I love oatmeal when it’s done right. Otherwise it’s just a gag inducing experience. I like oatmeal with lots of flavor and preferably a mixture of textures. I like it even more when it tastes like dessert. This recipe definitely fits those requirements.

Pumpkin Pie Oatmeal

• 3/4 cup pumpkin puree
  • 3/4 cup milk

Topping:

• 1/4 cup pecans, chopped
  • 2 tsp butter, softened
  • 1 Tbs brown sugar

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Grease 4 individual sized ramekins. Set aside.

Combine the oats through salt in a medium sized bowl. Stir well. In a separate bowl, combine the vanilla, butter, pumpkin, and milk. Whisk thoroughly. Pour the pumpkin mixture into the oats. Stir until combined.

Divide mixture evenly between 4 individual sized ramekins. Place ramekins on a baking sheet (this makes it easier to move in and out of the oven.). Bake at 375 degrees F for 10 minutes.

Meanwhile, combine the ingredients for the topping: chopped pecans, butter, and brown sugar. After the oatmeal has baked for 10 minutes, remove and divide topping mixture evenly between the ramekins. Bake and additional 7 minutes. Cool for 5 minutes before serving. Top with a splash of milk and raisins, if desired.

Make Ahead option: These do well baked ahead of time and reheated in the microwave on busy mornings.

Phoebe @ Cents to Get Debt Free - September 11, 2009 @ 4:48 pm

Oh.My.Word. Now this is something to wake up for. :)

Leslie - September 11, 2009 @ 5:03 pm

This looks really tasty. I need to eat more oatmeal so this gives me another way to doll it up – thanks for sharing!

Lisa @ Stop and Smell the Chocolates - September 11, 2009 @ 5:18 pm

Oh YUM! That sounds wonderful and it's such a lovely Fall breakfast!

Maria - September 11, 2009 @ 5:49 pm

I eat oatmeal every day for breakfast. I can't wait to try this fall treat!

Amanda - September 11, 2009 @ 5:56 pm

Oh, this looks fabulous. It looks savory enough to be eaten as dessert!

Mommy's Kitchen - September 11, 2009 @ 6:18 pm

What a neat idea. Such a great breakfast for fall. I love oatmeal so this is a must try.

The Apple Hill Adventurer - September 11, 2009 @ 6:21 pm

looks amazing! i loooove pumpkin anything, esp in an oaty treat

Deanna - September 11, 2009 @ 6:35 pm

Wow! This looks really yummy. And so healthy too! Thanks for the recipe. The photos are beautiful as usual :)

Amy @ Finer Things - September 11, 2009 @ 7:05 pm

The kids and I enjoy oatmeal in the cinnamon/sugar/raisin stove-top sense, but Maybe… just maybe… I could even get my hubby on board with this. Looks delish!

Hugging the Coast - September 11, 2009 @ 7:07 pm

I really love this idea. So autumnal!

Amy - September 11, 2009 @ 7:08 pm

This looks totally incredible! I can't tell from the picture, but the texture looks totally difference and amazing.

CookiePie - September 11, 2009 @ 7:09 pm

That sounds AMAZING – must try it this weekend!!

Frugal Femina - September 11, 2009 @ 8:53 pm

Anything with pumpkin in it looks good to me!

oneordinaryday - September 11, 2009 @ 9:13 pm

Oh, this sounds wonderfully yummy!

Amy Green (Simply Sugar & Gluten-Free) - September 12, 2009 @ 2:39 am

I love, love, love pumpkin. This would be the perfect breakfast – and it looks so incredibly special but easy to make. My sugar & gluten-free version will be coming soon!

Petit Elefant - September 12, 2009 @ 5:58 am

Stop, oh just stop. Pumpkin oatmeal? Am drooling now, thanks a lot.

Jennifer - September 12, 2009 @ 12:38 pm

Pumpkin pie oatmeal is my favorite of all! I make it year round…but your recipe beats mine.i cant wait to make this!! I just very well may this morning! :) :) Gorgeous photos!

Abby - September 13, 2009 @ 2:34 am

Can I hire you to come to MY house? For just a week? Looks so wonderfully fallish!

We Are Not Martha - September 13, 2009 @ 3:19 am

Oh hi dream come true! This was most definitely bookmarked and will be made soon :) Sues

Kevin - September 13, 2009 @ 12:21 pm

Pumpkin pie makes a great oatmeal!

Amy - September 14, 2009 @ 1:38 am

I hate pumpkin pie but LOVE pumpkin in pretty much everything else (bread, waffles, spice latte :) ) so this sounds awesome! Headed to go see if I have pumpkin in the pantry. Fingers crossed.It sounds like a good snack or dessert too. Thanks!

The Woman - September 14, 2009 @ 12:37 pm

oh.my.goodness. This looks amazing!

Hoosier Homemade - September 14, 2009 @ 1:40 pm

I have oatmeal with raisins almost every morning, I will definately have to try this one. Thanks for sharing!~Liz

Sam@BingeNYC - September 14, 2009 @ 7:04 pm

Oh my goodness. First day of crispy cold weather, I know what I'm having for breakfast! Looks divine!!!

Mixing Bowl Mama - September 14, 2009 @ 8:31 pm

This looks so yummy! I can't wait to give it a try….

blueknightlimo2000 - September 14, 2009 @ 9:42 pm

I am going to try this tomorrow!!!!! It sounds so good!!!

Amber Page Writes - September 14, 2009 @ 9:42 pm

I am drooling right now. Must make this…

lexisworks - September 14, 2009 @ 10:27 pm

OMG pumpkin oatmeal. I am in love! And I have some left over pumpkin puree in my fridge, so I'll be eating this real soon!

Megan - September 15, 2009 @ 4:29 am

I just made this and didn't read the directions of "combine oats through salt" so I skipped all the spices…opps. BUT I did buy pumpkin pie ready puree that had a lot of the spices already in it. To say the least, it turned out SO good! Can't wait to make on a cool fall morning with a hot cup of coffee!

Kelsey B. - September 15, 2009 @ 6:22 pm

This looks amazing. i LOVe pumpkin

Amy - September 15, 2009 @ 6:33 pm

Oh. My Word. One word- YUM!! You have me convinced that this will be my perfect breakfast! :)

carole - September 17, 2009 @ 5:52 pm

Can't wait to try this!!! Dessert for breakfast!!One thing- I'm pretty sure you have to grind the flax seed in order for the body to absorb the nutrients. So if you're wanting extra nutrition, just grind 'em up and mix 'em in!BTW, found you on Amy's Notebook on momadvice :-)

Ashley - September 18, 2009 @ 3:27 am

You bet we will be making this at our house!!

jane maynard - September 18, 2009 @ 9:23 pm

what a great idea! can't wait to try it, thanks katie!:)

ashleynorth - September 21, 2009 @ 1:43 pm

i love the inclusion of flax seeds- fiberlicious! to benefit from the skin-loving oils– grind fresh in a clean coffee grinder.

thecurryseven - September 22, 2009 @ 3:30 am

And baking it at 374 degrees… not 375 or 373… just brilliant!!! That one degree makes all the difference!!!

Rachel @ Life in #3 - September 23, 2009 @ 4:46 pm

I love hot breakfast as well. I am such an oatmeal nut- thanks for the recipe!

M. Mcgough - September 23, 2009 @ 6:21 pm

Wow this looks fabulous! I am breakfast person so I could eat this all day, but I think we might make this for our apple picking day.

Audra - September 23, 2009 @ 7:49 pm

Insert Homer Simpson drool noise here….. This looks completely amazing. I have an issue with regular pumpkin pie texture alone, but mixed with these other textures, it could be a winner!

Kara - September 25, 2009 @ 6:07 am

Oh…you and I are kindred spirits when it comes to the type of breakfast we like! And I love pumpkin…I've GOT to try this one!

Paula Maack - September 29, 2009 @ 4:15 pm

This is freaking brilliant! Thank you!!

Joanna - October 06, 2009 @ 1:57 am

Does this work if you mix all the ingredients the night before so you just have to pop them in the oven in the morning? My 5:30am wake up time does not include getting out mixing bowls in the morning, boiling water and adding oats is usually as complicated as it gets. But I wonder if mixing the night before leaves the oats too soggy the next day. Has anyone tried it?

Katie @ goodLife {eats} - October 06, 2009 @ 2:29 am

Joanna – I wouldn't mix it completely the night before, but you could get all the wet ingredients mixed in one bowl and the dry in another so all you had to do was stir the two together and bake it. Also, I frequently make a double batch and have leftovers for the next day. I just reheat in the microwave and add a splash of milk and it tastes great. Hope that helps!

messybaker - October 08, 2009 @ 10:31 pm

I just found your blog through Tasty Kitchen and this looks amazing! Your photography is great too. I'm definitely going to try this – I love oatmeal. I have a raisin spice oatmeal recipe on my blog at messybaker.wordpress.com – would be honored if you checked it out.

Cindy - October 12, 2009 @ 2:53 pm

I had this breakfast this morning and it was indeed yummy! The topping makes it a very sweet treat. It took me about 15 minutes to pull it all together.I wonder about the whole flax seed. I ground mine up since they just pass through your system if they're whole. I also was wishing that the butter was melted instead of softened, esp for the pumpkin mixture, as the cold milk just made the butter seize up into cold bits. Still tasted super yum though. I will be making this again some day.Thanks!

Emily - October 19, 2009 @ 3:04 pm

I found your recipe Googling for pumpkin pie oatmeal…this was delicious! I made it this morning for my hubby & I. I used heavy cream instead of milk (only thing we had) and it was so decadent :) Thank you!

JamieB - November 04, 2009 @ 4:07 pm

I made this last week for my family, even made extra to freeze… it never even had a chance!I even posted your recipe on my blog!thanks!http://tastebudsnblossoms.blogspot.com/

KreatedByKelly - November 06, 2009 @ 12:50 am

I found your site when I was searching for something different to do with my oatmeal & for some reason I put pumpkin in the search string too. I completely adore this recipe & have used it about a dozen times recently!!! I just blogged about it tonight & did a link back:http://kreatedbykelly.blogspot.comLooking forward to trying out more recipes!!

Anonymous - November 14, 2009 @ 10:05 pm

I just made this for lunch and it was amazing!

Monica - December 10, 2009 @ 3:09 pm

Just made a simplified / healthy-ish version of this for breakfast. I cooked everything on the stove (had to add a bit of water) using 1 Tbsp of agave nectar in place of the brown sugar and rice milk instead of regular milk. Then I topped the lot with toasted pecans. VERY good. Thank you!

heather larvik - December 12, 2009 @ 9:17 pm

I baked this this morning for the fam & everyone scarffed it up! Delicious & nutritious. Thanks for sharing this recipe, it's a fav. now & I put it in my permanent *family recipe box ;-)

Carolyn - October 18, 2010 @ 10:24 am

I am going to try this—Great day to give it a try–

Carolyn - October 28, 2010 @ 7:50 am

This is the best-

Lauren - November 13, 2010 @ 5:05 am

I just made this for breakfast, and it is fantastic! Thanks for a wonderful baked pumpkin oatmeal recipe :)

alicia - November 14, 2010 @ 1:23 am

my husband and I love your recipe for pumpkin pie oatmeal — it is so good and completely satisfying! thanks!

Teresa - January 24, 2011 @ 2:12 pm

An amazingly comforting breakfast treat. I topped it with a little maple syrup. Yum-O! The left overs were just as good (reheated in the microwave for 30 sec.)

Olivia - February 03, 2011 @ 5:06 pm

Yum! This looks so good too, I love the idea of pumpkin baked oatmeal:)

Alyssa - March 01, 2011 @ 5:02 pm

I made this recipe last weekend – yum! I apparently didn’t read it closely enough, though, and used 2 Tablespoons of butter in both the oatmeal and topping. 2 teaspoons seems like such a small amount (although I was going to cut down on the butter the next time I make it). Is the original recipe correct – only 2 tsp butter instead of Tbsp? Usually butter is measured in Tbsp, so I thought I’d check. I’d prefer the tsp amount if it is enough!

• Katie Goodman

Katie replied: — March 1st, 2011 @ 6:24 PM

Yes, it is correct. I was trying to keep it healthier and less dessert like. You can use whatever amount you prefer, though.

• Alyssa replied: — March 4th, 2011 @ 7:57 AM

Thanks – I’m GLAD I was wrong! Tbsp was way too much. I’ll try with the correct amount again this weekend (and pay a little more attention…)

Kristin - June 08, 2011 @ 5:47 am

I made this oatmeal this morning…all my kids loved it!

Erica - August 17, 2011 @ 5:20 pm

Thank you so much for sharing this recipe! This oatmeal is wonderful! I made it for dinner tonight for my husband and three children and they loved it. Not only was it delicious, but it smelled amazing as well!

Amy - September 29, 2011 @ 9:21 pm

I made this for breakfast this morning. I have tried many varieties of baked oatmeal. I have liked them all, but at least one or two of my children have turned their nose up at every recipe I have tried. This morning, every single child gobbled up this oatmeal and asked for more! It was a beautiful site to watch them sit at the table digging into their little dishes. I need to go buy some more ramekins!

Anjanette - October 03, 2011 @ 6:55 am

Used this as a spring-board for a sugar free baked oatmeal. Added a pureed banana and an egg. Also used chia seeds instead of flax, and added more oats. It was pumpkin pie heaven! :)

Bethany - October 03, 2011 @ 11:00 pm

This is definately going to happen at our house!

Andrea - October 10, 2011 @ 5:42 pm

are there any other options to bake this in beside ramekins? I don’t own any so i was wondering if it could all be in one batch instead of split up into four?

• Katie Goodman

Katie replied: — October 10th, 2011 @ 6:43 PM

Sure you can bake it all together. It will take longer, and I’m not sure how much longer but it should be fine.

Jacqui - October 21, 2011 @ 9:40 pm

This looks amazing!! Unfortunately I’m the only one in my family that eats oatmeal. Any suggestions for reheating this since I’ll only be eating one at a time and it makes four? Can’t wait to try it!

Tasha - October 29, 2011 @ 8:18 pm

I’ve made this twice and it’s the best oatmeal I’ve ever eaten. So glad I found your blog via moneysavingmom.com!

Jane Pilanski [@ peanut butter & jane] - November 05, 2011 @ 7:57 am

I’m really not an oatmeal fan, I bet I would be if I tried this!

Joy - November 05, 2011 @ 5:11 pm

I love this!!! Thanks for sharing! The second time I made it I added egg whites (long story – kind of a mistake) and I had to bake it quite a bit longer but it made it more custardy and even more yummy! And hopefully gave it a little more protein.

Danielle - November 12, 2011 @ 12:11 pm

OMG- just made this and it’s so good. Perfect for a cold WI weekend morning. Even hubby who hates oatmeal willingly ate the extra ramkin I made. Going to be reblogging this on my site soon! Thanks!

danae javier - November 20, 2011 @ 7:43 pm

hi, do you think i can make these and freeze them before baking?

• Katie Goodman

Katie replied: — November 21st, 2011 @ 8:04 AM

Never tried it before, but it’s worth a shot. I usually bake a double batch and then keep them in the fridge and warm them up again throughout the week.

Rachel - December 03, 2011 @ 4:57 pm

i’m a sophomore in high school, i found your recipe, made it for my family and it was absolutely delicious! thanks for this, i will definitely make it again! :)

Tina - January 02, 2012 @ 7:40 pm

Happy New Year Katie!
    Just made this with bananas instead of pumpkin. Doubled the recipe and baked it in my 8×8 casserole for about 25 min. Delicious. It’s -12 outside with a windchill of -20. Am looking forward to breakfast tomorrow morning!
    Thanks for sharing the recipe,
    Tina

Gaby - January 16, 2012 @ 10:18 am

posted your recipe on my blog :) it looks so delicious! I was wondering why we can’t use quick oats? will it mess the recipe up? I’m just wondering because all I have at home is quick cook oats :(

• Katie Goodman

Katie replied: — January 16th, 2012 @ 1:45 PM

I just said not quick oats because I have not tested the recipe that way. I only buy old fashioned oats and therefore I cannot guarantee anything about the recipe unless prepared the way I personally prepared it. Feel free to experiment though.

Lauren - April 23, 2012 @ 9:55 am

I have made this recipe twice now and everything came out perfectly except the topping. Both times it just melted into the oats. I think crumble usually has flour and maybe that’s why this recipe doesn’t work. Love the texture of the oatmeal though, kind of like the filling of pumpkin pie!!!

• Katie Goodman

Katie replied: — April 23rd, 2012 @ 10:04 AM

Hi Lauren – glad you have enjoyed it but sorry to hear you had a problem with the topping. I have not experienced that before. If desired, try adding 2 – 3 teaspoons of flour to your topping and see if that helps. Enjoy!

Sarah - May 05, 2012 @ 8:57 am

I just made these this morning (yes, I do realize it’s May…but pumpkin sure is a way to make your house smell cozy!) and they were great! We all loved them.

Peter - June 13, 2012 @ 9:48 pm

The flax seeds are really great in this. My girlfriend and I also reduced the sugar and butter used and it was still delicious.

Dara - October 02, 2012 @ 9:58 am

I’m making this tonight! I’ve been going with pumpkin overnight oats so am very excited for the change. Plan on baking in an 8 x 8 pan and reheating in the morning so will see how it turns out!

Julie J - October 10, 2012 @ 5:56 am

Hello! I was one of the Simple Mom Twitter followers that you tweeted this recipe to last week. I’ve made this for breakfast twice now this week and shared it with everyone I know. It’s so good! I’m sharing it on my blog today too. Thank you for posting it!

• Katie Goodman

Katie replied: — October 10th, 2012 @ 7:58 AM

So glad you enjoyed it!

Robin Lewis Kane - November 18, 2012 @ 8:30 am

Funny, I made my version of this last night. After it completely cools, I cut it into squares(I make it in a casserole dish) and freeze them for quick breakfast. It’s the season for pumpkin!

Nancy - April 19, 2013 @ 7:50 am

Can I make this without milk? My son eats oats every morning, but doesn’t use dairy during his running seasons.

• Katie Goodman

Katie replied: — April 19th, 2013 @ 9:41 AM

you could use almond milk