It’s so easy to forget about the foods that don’t look like much, even though they can taste really, really good.
Like hit-the-spot kind of good.
The kind of good that has you going back for seconds even though you’re already comfortably full. I
t’d have to say that lentils are one of those foods.
Particularly, this bowl of Lentil Soup with Smoked Sausage.
This Lentil Soup with Smoked Sausage is rich with flavor despite it’s simple ingredients.
I love a good meal that can be made without a big trip to the store.
Carrots, celery, onion, I always keep those on hand.
When smoked sausage goes on sale, I usually grab a few for the freezer because I know it’s fast and good for busy days.
This recipe for Lentil Soup with Smoked Sausage doesn’t have a fancy thing about it – in looks or ingredients.
But it did have me going back for seconds.
- 1 3/4 c dried lentils
- 16 oz. smoked sausage, sliced and quartered
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 ribs celery, diced
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 2 dashes cayenne pepper
- 1 dash cumin
- 1 dash garlic powder
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 Tbs fresh parsley, finely chopped
- In a medium-sized stock pot, sautee the sausage until it is browned and fragrant.
- Remove sausage and set aside, leaving the drippings in the pot.
- Saute the onion in the same pot used for the sausage for 3-5 minutes, until tender.
- Add the garlic and saute an additional minute.
- Add the water to deglaze the pot, making sure to scrape up any browned bits that remain.
- Add the broth, lentils, and seasonings.
- Bring pot to a boil.
- Add the sausage, carrot, and celery, place a lid on the pot, and simmer this Lentil Soup with Smoked Sausage for 35-45 minutes, or until lentils and vegetables are tender.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition InformationYield 6 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 329Total Fat 22gSaturated Fat 7gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 11gCholesterol 49mgSodium 1655mgCarbohydrates 17gFiber 6gSugar 4gProtein 16g
GoodLifeEats.com offers recipe nutritional information as a courtesy and is an estimate only. This information comes from online calculators. Although GoodLifeEats.com makes every effort to provide accurate information, these figures are only estimates.