FEB

Barbecue Chicken Pizza

Breads, Grilling, Main Dish, Pizza, Poultry, Seasonal Recipes, Summer Recipes, Yeast Breads | 20 comments

It’s been quite a while since I’ve made homemade pizza for dinner. I was making it a lot in the summer and grilling it outside so the kitchen wouldn’t get so hot. Really, I should have been making pizza all winter because having the oven set to 550 degrees F sure warms the house nicely!

Unfortunately it’s been so long that Logan has zero interest in trying a piece. We had been having it so regularly in the summer that he could manage to eat a few bites. And now we’re back to square one. I might have the only almost 5 year old who doesn’t like pizza.

One thing I’ve learned as a mom of a picky kid is that his dislike of x, y, or z isn’t going to stop me from enjoying it myself. In fact, I think that attitude will probably help him in some ways. He’ll see that we’re still eating it despite his dislike of it, however unfounded that “dislike” is, since most times it’s something he hasn’t tasted. It’s a very slow process, but I’m not going to let it stop me from enjoying what I love.

Eric and I loved this pizza. I had to make it twice to get the pictures since it still isn’t quite light enough in the evenings to photograph food. (We liked it so much, it didn’t even phase us eating it two nights in a row. And the house smelled amazing!) Who wants to make pizza in the afternoon, photograph it, and then reheat it for dinner? Not me. I want it fresh, hot out of the oven.

Barbecue Chicken Pizza
adapted from This Week for Dinner

• 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
  • 1 bunch cilantro (leaves only), chopped
  • about 1/3 cup Sweet Mesquite barbecue sauce
  • 10 ounces Gouda cheese, grated
  • 1/2 cup red onion, very thinly sliced
  • 1 recipe pizza dough, recipe follows

Place a pizza stone on the upper middle rack of your oven. Preheat oven to 550 degrees F for at least 45 minutes before you intend to bake the pizza, this helps the stone get nice and hot.

If you have a pizza peel, flour that heavily, and assemble the pizza on that so you can transfer it to the pizza stone. If not, have everything ready to go, then remove the stone (carefully) and assemble the pizza directly on it before putting it back in the oven.

Slice the chicken into 2 inch strips. Season with salt, pepper, garlic powder, and paprika. Saute in olive oil over medium high heat until cooked through and lightly browned. Set aside.

Spread a thin layer of barbecue sauce on top of the unbaked pizza crust, leaving about an inch border from the edge. Sprinkle the onions and cilantro over the sauce, followed by the chicken and cheese.

Bake at 550 degrees F for 8-12 minutes, depending on how crispy you would like your crust.

Pizza Dough with Oregano (makes 1 medium crust)
Adapted from Cook’s Illustrated: The New Best Recipe

1/4 c warm water, about 110 degrees
1 1/8 teaspoon instant yeast
2/3 cup water, at room temp
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 c bread flower, plus more for dusting the work surface
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon dried oregano

Measure warm water into a medium sized bowl or measuring cup (with at least a 1 c capacity). Sprinkle the yeast over water and let stand 5 minutes. Add the room temperature water and oil and stir to combine.

Place the flour, salt, and oregano in the bowl of a standing mixer fitted with the paddle. Briefly combine the dry ingredients at low speed. Slowly add the liquids and continue to mix on low until a cohesive mass forms. Stop the mixer and replace the paddle with the dough hook. Knead until the dough is smooth and elastic, about 3-5 minutes.

Form dough into a ball and put in a deep oiled bowl, cover with plastic wrap. Let rise for 1 1/2 – 2 hours, or until dough is doubled in bulk. Press the dough to deflate. On a flour dusted surface, roll dough out.

Related links:
Supreme Pizza Panini
Supreme Veggie Pizza with Mozzarella and Feta
Grilled Asparagus and Red Onion Pizza
BBQ Chicken Pizza with Tomato Chutney
Pizza with Caramelized Onions and Roasted Peppers

Jessica @ How Sweet - February 10, 2010 @ 1:58 pm

OH we LOVE bbq chicken pizza! I love gouda cheese so this just sounds absolutely delicious to me.

Jan (Family Bites) - February 10, 2010 @ 2:03 pm

Yummy! I love the addition of the red onion to this and, as always, great photos.

Maria - February 10, 2010 @ 2:05 pm

We love making pizza! I love Jane and her recipes!

Tasty Eats At Home - February 10, 2010 @ 2:11 pm

I love the bit of cilantro on the pizza. YUM!

marla {Family Fresh Cooking} - February 10, 2010 @ 2:25 pm

Of course, fresh out of the oven! Love the oregano in the crust. I'm with you, I would love this pizza. My daughter would probably side with Logan, though you never know.

Jenn in GA - February 10, 2010 @ 6:46 pm

you have company…my now 15 year old didn't like pizza until about 5 years ago. so there's still hope for logan! this is a great recipe to have in the file…thanks for sharing!

Jamie - February 10, 2010 @ 10:30 pm

We love making homemade pizza! This recipe looks fantastic!

Katie - February 11, 2010 @ 12:39 am

BBQ Chicken pizza is my absolute favorite! I am definitely trying this recipe. You make it look delicious!

angela@spinachtiger - February 11, 2010 @ 1:54 am

I don't like barbecue chicken, but I love barbecue chicken pizza. Maybe it's the other things like pizza dough that sweep me. Your pizza looks amazingly good, fresh and delicious.

Grace (WhimsyLoft.Com) - February 11, 2010 @ 3:24 am

hello! i'm happy u like my owl tutorial :-) thank u!your recipi are great… i'm sure to come back and try some of them soon. cheer!

this week for dinner - jane maynard - February 11, 2010 @ 6:19 pm

I LOVE it when you make my recipes. :) I'm so so glad you did this one, it is seriously the best pizza ever…I think it's the cilantro, right? mmmmmmmmmmm….katie, I wish I could haven't helped you put this pizza down. your pictures have made me absolutely famished! :)

this week for dinner - jane maynard - February 11, 2010 @ 6:20 pm

ps…you are SO not alone in the feeding 5-year-olds department. I'm in the same exact boat…and I think you're taking a good approach!

Eric - February 11, 2010 @ 6:49 pm

Hi, ur blog is really nice & informative, while reading ur blog I truly like ur recipe & definitely try at my home. I just wanna suggest that u should go for blog advertising & marketing there is a site which is offering very unique features at affordable prices there are expert advertising team who will promote ur blog & affiliate ads through all over the networks which will definitely boost ur traffic. Finally I have bookmarked ur blog & also shared this blog to my friends.. i think my friend might too like it hope u have a wonderful day & !!happy blogging!!.

Amy from She Wears Many Hats - February 11, 2010 @ 7:23 pm

Good combo – fortunately my two still love pizza.

JRSMOM - February 12, 2010 @ 4:35 am

Try grilling the chicken breasts then assemble the pizza and cook it on the grill, by indirect heat. Yummy but be careful not to get too crunchy. We also add mushrooms and bellpeppers to ours.

James - February 15, 2010 @ 11:23 pm

Definintely a winner. The cook's illustrated recipes always work amazingly

Tia - February 20, 2010 @ 9:17 am

i just found your blog and I love it! i'm going to try your butter chicken recipe this week and pizza too. my 3 yo isnt crazy about pizza, but i am a pizza fanatic myself :)

Trang - March 16, 2011 @ 6:29 pm

I made this at home! it was good. Thank you for sharing

• Trang replied: — March 16th, 2011 @ 6:30 PM

I posted it on my blog too :)