All-Purpose Shredded Crock-Pot Chicken [Holiday Recipe Exchange]
I have a questions for you all first because I can never get it straight. Is it a slow-cooker or a crock-pot? What is your preferred verbiage for that favorite, time saving small kitchen appliance? For me, I always call it a crock-pot.
One of my favorite time saving methods in the kitchen is to use the crock-pot to make shredded chicken when I need it for other dishes. I have a great Crock Pot Mexican Shredded Chicken recipe that I use in any Mexican chicken dish: Chicken Enchiladas, Chicken Tortilla Soup, Soft Tacos, and more.
I thought it was about time that I made a basic version of this recipe that could be used in non-Mexican flavored recipes. In this All-Purpose Shredded Crock-Pot Chicken, chicken breasts are slow cooked with broth, leeks, carrot, celery, onion, garlic and herbs for a tender, well-flavored shredded chicken.
All-Purpose Shredded Crock-Pot Chicken is a great addition to a variety of recipes: Chicken Soup, Chicken Salad recipes, and casseroles (such as Chicken Tetrazzini or Chicken Pot Pie with Buttermilk Biscuit Crust.
I love being able to toss the chicken in the crock-pot and let it cook away all day long while I’m busy doing other things. The chicken becomes so tender that it practically falls apart, lessening the work on my end even more.
Jamie (check out her Crock-Pot Apple Butter) and I want you to share your favorite Slow Cooker/Crock-Pot recipes with us! You don’t need a blog to participate – check out how to enter below. Entries will have a chance to win a Oval-Shaped 6-Quart Programmable Slow Cooker and Raclette Party Grill from West Bend.
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 leek, cleaned and sliced
- 1/2 of a yellow onion, diced
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1 rib celery, chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 large cloves garlic, smashed
- 2 - 3 teaspoons fresh thyme
- 1 small handful fresh parsley leaves
- 1 small sprig rosemary, optional
- 4 chicken breasts
- 1/2 - 1 teaspoon salt, according to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Add all the ingredients to the crock-pot in the order listed. Cook on low heat for 4-6 hours, or until the chicken is cooked through and very tender. It should be very easy to shred, almost to the point of shredding itself.
- Remove from crock-pot and let sit until cool enough to handle. Shred and use in a recipe. Alternatively, when the chicken has completely cooled you can freeze it in 2 cup increments and store in the freezer until you are ready to use it.
Try using your hand mixer to shred the cooked chicken.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition InformationYield 6 Serving Size 1
Amount Per ServingCalories 152 Total Fat 3g Saturated Fat 1g Trans Fat 0g Unsaturated Fat 2g Cholesterol 69mg Sodium 579mg Carbohydrates 4g Net Carbohydrates 0g Fiber 1g Sugar 1g Sugar Alcohols 0g Protein 26g
How To Participate
For a chance to win a West Bend Versatility Oval-Shaped 6-Quart Programmable Slow Cooker and West Bend Raclette Party Grill
- Write and post a recipe on your blog featuring SLOW COOKER/CROCK-POT RECIPES.
- Include “Come join the fun at the My Baking Addiction and GoodLife Eats Holiday Recipe Swap sponsored by West Bend.” in your blog post.
- No blog? Just leave your recipe in the comments section.
- Add your link to the widget on either GoodLife Eats or My Baking Addiction (we have the same widget code, so only add it on one site).
- Submit your post before Oct. 24, 11:59 PM.
- Anyone can participate in the link up, but the prizes will ship to US addresses only.
- More detailed info are available here.
Link Up Your Recipes:
Love any of the recipes featured in today’s Holiday Recipe Exchange? If so, be sure to to use the Ziplist Web Recipe Clipper to add your holiday favorites to your online recipe box.
‘); // ]]>
This Week’s Prize:
$150 Value. Prizes provided by West Bend.