I have mentioned it before, but Mexican food is one of my all-time favorite types of food… Well, that and pizza. So when the thought of combining the two came up, there was absolutely no way I was about to pass that opportunity up! Thus was born my version of Taco Pizza.
Written by: Carla of Carla’s Confections Blog
Remember a few months back when I posted Homemade Taco Seasoning? Well, you’re gonna want to have that recipe handy for this pizza.
Of course, you can use store-bought taco seasoning, but I promise your tummy will be thankful for making the homemade version instead. It has a bit of a kick to it, which you can tone down if you wish to do that, but more than that, you know every ingredient that is going into the seasoning, therefore deeming it healthier for your bodies. That is worth it right there!
As far as this pizza goes, it is one of the tops in my book! I mean how can you go wrong when you combine Mexican food with pizza???
Well, in all reality, when this recipe first came up, I thought there was no way I would like it. I thought it an abomination to combine the two, but how happy I am that I stepped outside my comfort zone and tried it.
It will forever be a love of mine!
You can totally tailor this pizza to your individual likes, but our toppings were: taco sauce, cheese of course, meat with taco seasoning, spinach, bell pepper (whatever color you desire), tomatoes, green onions, and tomatoes. Classic taco ingredients in my book! Then serve it with some hot sauce and sour cream… Mmmm, you’ve got a taco flat bread and what can be better than that?!
We like to home-make our pizza dough, but when we are in a pinch we are all for the store-bought kind.
No judgement here!
If you are making the dough at home, I love this recipe for pizza dough, but I substitute the Italian ingredients for some more homemade taco seasoning. Again… up to your taste buds!
So whether you are a pizza feine or a Mexican feine, you will not be disappointed with this Taco Pizza!
So tell me…
What is your favorite mish-mash of food types?
Did you love this post?
Sign up for Good Life Eats email updates and never miss another update!
- pizza dough (homemade
- 1 lb ground chuck or ground turkey, to preference
- 3 Tbsp [homemade] taco seasoning, more if desired
- olive oil, for spreading
- 1/4 cup mild or medium Taco Sauce (we use La Victoria)
- 2 1/2 -3 cups shredded cheese mixture, sharp cheddar, mozzarella and pepper jack, or whatever your preference is
- 2 cups baby spinach, rinsed and dried
- 1/2 cup chopped bell pepper, desired color (or mix of colors)
- 2 Tbsp chopped green onion
- 1/2 cup chopped tomatoes (we used cherry tomatoes)
- 1 avocado, cut into cubes, as much as desired
- hot sauce and sour cream, for serving
- If home-making pizza dough, make it now. Preheat oven to 425°F. Prepare a baking sheet or pizza stone. If using a baking sheet, spray lightly with non-stick spray or spread lightly with olive oil and a paper towel.
- Prepare ground chuck or turkey by cooking to package instructions, getting rid of excess oil, and mixing in taco seasoning until well combined. Set aside until ready.
- Prepare all veggies, chopping and washing those needed.
- Sprinkle surface with flour first and roll dough out to desired size, adding more flour as needed. Place on baking sheet or pizza stone.
- Top the pizza dough, first with taco sauce and cheese, then with desired amount of meat, spinach and bell peppers. COOK AT THIS POINT.
- Cook pizza in prepared oven for 20-25 minutes, until spinach has shrunk and edges of dough are becoming golden brown.
- Remove pizza, and top with remaining veggies so they are fresh.
- Serve pizza with sour cream and hot sauce on the side.
The pizza tastes better if you have the tomatoes, green onions and avocado be fresh rather than cooked.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition InformationYield 6 Serving Size 1
Amount Per ServingCalories 997 Total Fat 75g Saturated Fat 36g Trans Fat 2g Unsaturated Fat 30g Cholesterol 236mg Sodium 1795mg Carbohydrates 19g Net Carbohydrates 0g Fiber 3g Sugar 5g Sugar Alcohols 0g Protein 61g