Black Bean Mexican Pizza
There’s nothing gourmet about it. But sometimes that’s not what I’m craving. In fact, I’d been craving ooey, gooey, cheesy Mexican all week and this was the perfect way to satisfy those cravings.
With the Super Bowl quickly approaching on the calendar, I can’t help but think how perfect this Black Bean Mexican Pizza would be for a Game Day Party! It’s a cinch to make too. I typically make Cook’s Illustrated’s Pizza Crust recipe (related: Barbecue Chicken Pizza), but this time I decided to give Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day a chance.
I figured, what have I got to lose? I’ve already got a batch of the Master Recipe Dough hanging out in the fridge. No point fussing with a recipe (that while very good) takes a couple hours prep time. That’s a no brainer…
The crust turned out great! Crispy on the bottom, chewy on the inside and it even got a few of those big bubbles in the dough as it baked. It’s absolutely perfect for last minute dinner rushes or random cravings. The only thing that I would change next time would be to include some sliced black olives and a guacamole on the side.
And I can tell you that it reheats well if you need to bake the pizza ahead of time. Because I just toasted up the last slice at 300 degrees F in the toaster oven for a little snack while I wrote this post.
So tell me – do you have plans for the Super Bowl? What are some of your favorite Game Day Recipes?
For the Pizza
- 2 lbs. Artisan Bread in Five "Master Recipe" Dough, divided. recipe: here
- 1 recipe Black Bean spread, recipe follows
- 1/2 cup red onion, finely diced
- 2/3 cup red bell pepper, diced
- 2/3 cup frozen corn, thawed
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 3 - 4 large handfuls fresh cilantro, chopped
- 8 ounces grated cheese: a mix of Cheddar, Monterrey Jack, and Asadero
- 8 ounces thinly shredded romaine or iceberg lettuce
- 2 limes, cut into wedges
- sour cream for serving
For the Black Bean Spread
- 1 - 15 ounce can Black Beans, drained - I like Bush's brand best.
- broth or water, if desired, to reach desired bean consistency
- juice of half a lime
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon chipotle powder
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 - 1/2 teaspoon salt, to preference
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne, optional
- Preheat your oven to 550 degrees F (or 500 if your oven doesn't go up to 550). Place a pizza stone on the upper-middle rack.
- In a small food processor, combine 1 cup of the black beans, cumin, chili powder, garlic powder, chipotle powder, black pepper, salt, cayenne, and lime juice. Puree until smooth, adding broth or water to achieve desired consistency (I added none). Add remaining beans and pulse a few times to roughly chop. Taste for seasonings, and adjust if desired.
- Divide the 2 lbs of dough into equal one pound balls. Wrap with plastic wrap and allow to rest for 10 minutes or so. In the meantime, prepare the remaining ingredients so you are ready to go.
- Dust your work surface (i.e. pizza peel) with flour and shape each dough ball into a 12-inch pizza crust using a floured rolling pin. Spread each pizza crust with half of the bean mixture, leaving a one-inch border around the edges.
- Sprinkle each pizza with one quarter of the corn, red bell pepper, cilantro, jalapeno, and purple onion. Then, top each pizza with four ounces of cheese. And top with the remaining corn, red bell pepper, cilantro, jalapeno, and purple onion. Brush the edges of the crust with olive oil, if desired.
- Transfer the pizza, one and a time, to the pizza stone in the preheated oven. Cook for 7-15 minutes, or until desired crispness. Remove from oven and cook the second pizza.
- Cut each pizza into eight wedges (or smaller if you're serving this as a party appetizer). Top servings with shredded lettuce, sour cream, and lime wedges.
Adapted from A Couple Cooks
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition InformationYield 16 Serving Size 1
Amount Per ServingCalories 613 Total Fat 26g Saturated Fat 10g Trans Fat 0g Unsaturated Fat 13g Cholesterol 15mg Sodium 870mg Carbohydrates 82g Net Carbohydrates 0g Fiber 7g Sugar 7g Sugar Alcohols 0g Protein 15g