AUG

Orecchiette with Roasted Tomatoes, Basil, and Parmesan

Italian, Main Dish, Pasta, Summer Recipes, Vegetarian | 21 comments

I hate to admit this, but it turns out that I haven’t been a very good gardener this year. In fact, I almost wish I hadn’t planted at all except for some herbs and a tomato plant. This summer ended up being much, much busier than I anticipated. With a conference, vacation, busy kids, work, and family life I haven’t had a whole lot of free time to care for the garden. Last year was so much more laid back! Plus, it just seems so much hotter this year that I don’t want to be outside and neither do the plants. They’re not doing super, but Eric says that it’s not by fault. Spring was a slow start and then it was scorching once it finally warmed up. It was just too hot for plants still getting going.

slowroastedtomatoesandbasil

After days (or weeks?) I went to pick some tomatoes and ended up with tons and tons of the sweet million and yellow pear. Too many, I thought, to do anything with before they went bad. Then i saw this great post on Simple Bites for Slow-Roasted Cherry Tomatoes. I was salivating! It was a few days before I had time to make them, but I’m sure glad I did. They’re great for snacking and I also used some to toss with pasta for a meal. I actually had to make a second batch so I could have enough for this pasta dish because I kept eating them.

Orecchiette is such a fun pasta and I loved it with these slow-roasted cherry tomatoes. The meal tasted fresh and full of simple flavors. One thing I love about Italian dishes is how easy they come together and how wonderful they taste when you have fresh and simple ingredients. There’s absolutely nothing fancy about this meal, but we loved it!

roastedtomatoesandpasta

Slow-Roasted Cherry Tomatoes
from Simple Bites

1. Cut the tomatoes in half end-to-end, and place cut side up on a pan.
2. Optional: Slice 4-5 cloves of garlic, and sprinkle over the tomatoes.
3. Strip several sprigs of fresh thyme, and sprinkle the leaves over the tomatoes.
4. Season with sea salt and fresh ground black pepper and drizzle extra-virgin olive oil liberally over all of the tomatoes.
5. Place in the oven at 200°F for 6-8 hours; the tomatoes will collapse, but not completely dry out. (since they’ll be in there a while, preheating is not necessary)

Note: I filled an entire baking sheet with the tomatoes and also added 2 very large shallots, sliced, and 5 cloves of sliced garlic. I used sweet million and yellow pear tomatoes.

Orecchiette with Slow-Roasted Tomatoes, Basil, and Parmesan
a goodLife {eats} creation

8 ounces Orecchiette, cooked according to package instructions
1 1/2 cups slow roasted tomatoes (with garlic and shallots)
1 very large handful of sliced, fresh basil
fresh Parmesan

Toss the slow roasted tomatoes, garlic and shallots (with the oil) with the pasta. Sprinkle with fresh basil and lightly toss to combine. Serve with shavings of fresh Parmesan on top.

Jessica @ How Sweet - August 20, 2010 @ 11:24 am

Orecchiette is my favorite pasta. Love it!

Kerstin - August 20, 2010 @ 2:49 pm

Such a gorgeous summer pasta dish – yum!

Dana - August 20, 2010 @ 3:14 pm

I just wanted to say how much I really like your site. The recipes and food always sound and look so delicious.(Seriously, even the foods I KNOW I don't like look so good, I start to wonder…)Plus the layout and design are easy on the eyes and to navigate! :)

Erin - August 20, 2010 @ 4:11 pm

My tomatoes are just ripening…This would be the perfect use or them!

Rachel - August 20, 2010 @ 4:22 pm

This is fantastic! My garden is overflowing with cherry tomatoes and basil right now, and this sounds perfect. Thanks! ~Rachel :)

Karen - August 20, 2010 @ 4:25 pm

Yum! My favorite comfort food looks just like this.

Shaina (Food for My Family) - August 20, 2010 @ 4:28 pm

This looks delicious! Simple is sometimes best, and I can't think of anything I'd change for this meal.

Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction - August 20, 2010 @ 7:47 pm

I've been making a lot of orecchiette lately… Love this pasta dish. I'm sure the slow roasted tomatoes were amazing!

Katie - August 20, 2010 @ 8:41 pm

Same with my garden. I had high intentions. My heirloom tomato plants are all shriveled up from the heat. I have peppers and my herbs are thriving. I love slow roasted tomatoes…they're yummy! And the cherry tomatoes seem to produce like crazy. This dish is beautiful :)

Alison @ Hospitality Haven - August 20, 2010 @ 9:12 pm

I could definitely eat that off the screen! :) Looks fabulous.

We Are Not Martha - August 21, 2010 @ 1:26 am

Orecchiette is my very favorite pasta too! And this is the perfect dish to make with all those tomatoes. It's so pretty, too :) Sues

Rebecca - August 21, 2010 @ 1:45 pm

Ditto on the favorite pasta type!! :) It looks like a nice plate of summer's harvest!

Cookin' Canuck - August 21, 2010 @ 5:43 pm

Slow-roasting tomatoes has been on my "to-do" list since last summer, but I still haven't got around to it yet this year. As soon as we pick the next batch, they are going straight into the oven. Beautiful pasta dish!

delicieux - August 21, 2010 @ 10:47 pm

This looks so delicious and full of flavour. It's so colourful as well. I love slow roasted tomatoes. I always add slow roasted cherry tomatoes to risotto.

dining table - August 23, 2010 @ 9:45 am

I am looking for a very different dish that I can serve for my parents this coming weekend. I think this Slow-Roasted Cherry Tomatoes is perfect. They haven't try this one.

Amy from She Wears Many Hats - August 23, 2010 @ 3:58 pm

Totally with ya there on the garden. It's so hard to keep up with when you're not home. Beautiful dish!

Steph - August 23, 2010 @ 5:49 pm

We eat roasted cherry tomatoes about once a week, since we have 6 vivacious plants, and they always taste incredible. I bought some heirloom cherry and pear tomatoes at the F.M. saturday and made your recipe. Delicious! My favorite part was how the tomato would hide in the pasta ;)

Dana - August 26, 2010 @ 3:14 pm

What a beautiful dish. This is what I love about summer – things taste so good! I have some orecchiete in my pantry which I save for special pastas (it's hard for me to find for some reason) and this certainly fits the bill!

Aimee @ Simple Bites - September 01, 2010 @ 1:19 am

This is a brilliant pairing, Katie. The orecchiete obviously cozies up quite nicely with the roasted cherry tomatoes. Gorgeous!