I love lemon bars, but I happened to have several limes and this Coconut-Lime Bar recipe from Bon Appetit has been bookmarked under my favorites for a couple weeks. In the mood for a little adaptation, I subbed out part of the lime juice for kiwi puree and the hazelnuts for macadamias, which I already had and love.
This recipe turned out absolutely delicious. Sweet, but tangy. Complex, yet somehow simple and perfectly delightful. It was a tropical summer in a bar. The neighbor kids playing in our backyard with Logan adored them. They love it when they’re over playing and I’m making something tasty. Is that going on your website, Miss Katie? Yup! Can we try some? Of course!
- 1 c macadamia nuts
- 1/4 c sugar
- 1 1/4 c all-purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 13 Tbs chilled unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 c plus 2 Tbs sugar
- 5 large eggs
- 1/4 c fresh lime juice
- 1/2 c kiwi puree (about 2 good sized kiwi)
- 1/3 c all-purpose flour
- 1 Tbs lime zest
- 3/4 c (packed) sweetened flaked coconut (about 3 ounces)
- Position rack in center of oven and preheat to 350°F. Blend nuts and sugar in processor until nuts are finely ground. Add flour and salt; blend 5 seconds. Add butter and process until well blended. Press dough evenly onto bottom of a 13x9x2-inch metal baking pan. Bake crust until golden brown, about 28 minutes; cool completely in pan on rack. Maintain oven temperature.
- Whisk sugar and eggs in large bowl until well blended, scraping down sides of bowl occasionally. Whisk in lime juice, kiwi, then flour and lime peel. Pour filling over crust in pan.
- Bake lime bars 25 minutes (filling will not be fully set). Sprinkle coconut evenly over. Bake until filling is completely set, about 10 minutes longer.
- Cool bars in pan on rack. Chill uncovered until cold, at least 2 hours. Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover and keep chilled. Cut around pan sides to loosen bars; cut into 24 pieces. Using a small spatula, transfer bars to platter; serve chilled.
adapted from Bon Appetit
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition InformationYield 24 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 167Total Fat 12gSaturated Fat 6gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 6gCholesterol 55mgSodium 48mgCarbohydrates 12gFiber 1gSugar 5gProtein 3g
GoodLifeEats.com offers recipe nutritional information as a courtesy and is an estimate only. This information comes from online calculators. Although GoodLifeEats.com makes every effort to provide accurate information, these figures are only estimates.
Did you love this post?
Sign up for Good Life Eats email updates and never miss another update!