JUN

Roasted Chicken, Apricot, and Brie Panini

Poultry, Sandwiches, Yeast Breads | 18 comments

Abundance of apricots? Check. Abundance of rosemary focaccia bread? Check. Leftover roasted chicken? Check. In my mind there was only one thing to do, and that was to figure out a panini to go with these ingredients. I was in a no-fuss cooking mood. A use-up-leftovers mood. And a something-different-for-dinner mood.

I already had some focaccia that I had baked earlier in the day, and because rosemary goes so well with apricot and chicken, I used that as my bread.

I checked out the handy Flavor Bible to see what cheese paired best with apricot. Brie, in case you’re wondering. It ended up being a great, simple dinner to throw together with the leftovers of existing dishes. We had plump, juicy red grapes on the side.

Roasted Chicken, Apricot, and Brie Panini
a goodLife {eats} creation

• Focaccia Bread, recipe follows
  • Brie, sliced thin
  • Roasted Chicken
  • Apricots, sliced thin

Preheat panini grill. Place one piece of focaccia dimpled side down. Place a layer of brie, followed by apricots, chicken, and more brie. Top with second piece of bread (dimpled side up). Grill on the banini press until cheese is melted and bread is golden and crispy. Cut sandwiches in half diagonally to form triangles. Repeat for additional sandwiches.

Rosemary Focaccia Bread

• 2 packages active dry yeast
  • 2 c warm water
  • 6 c flour, divided
  • 1/2 c soft butter
  • 1/2 c chopped fresh rosemary
  • 3 tsp salt
  • 1/2 c olive oil
  • 8 cloves chopped garlic
  • 1/2 tsp pepper

Combine yeast and water; let stand 5 minutes. Place 4 c flour in a large bowl; make a well in the center. Add yeast mixture; stir until a soft dough forms. Cover and let rise in a warm place for 1 hour.

Sprinkle remaining 2 c flour onto a flat surface. Turn dough out onto floured surface, and knead until flour flour is incorporated into dough. Combine half of rosemary, half of salt salt and pepper in a small bowl. Gradually knead butter and rosemary mixture into dough. Knead until smooth and elastic, about 5 minutes.

Brush two 15×10 inch jelly roll pans with 2 T oil. Divide dough in half. Roll each portion into a rectangle, and place in pans. Cover and let rise in a warm place for 40 minutes.

Using fingertips dimple the dough all over in both pans. Drizzle with remaining 6 T olive oil, salt, and garlic. Bake at 375 degrees F for 25-30 minutes, or until golden. Cut or tear into squares.

Scate - June 19, 2009 @ 9:15 pm

great sandwich. I love the flavor bible.I got it for my husband for xmas – really so i could use it though. Brie for lunch makes me happy. Right now – it is just making me hungry. thanks for sharing!

Cookin' Canuck - June 19, 2009 @ 9:26 pm

What a great combination of flavors. I'm so excited to see that focaccia recipe. I lost my old favorite recipe.

Ashley - June 19, 2009 @ 9:47 pm

"simple dinner"? Maybe so, but it looks like something off of a restaurant menu! I think we would love this one.

Katie @ goodLife {eats} - June 19, 2009 @ 10:21 pm

Ashley – I love paninis for dinner. They always seem so simple to me because there are no pots and pans. Just pile bread with yummy things and grill it. Cookin' Canuck – Happy to help you! This focaccia is delicious. I hope you like it as much as we do.

Ashley - June 19, 2009 @ 10:33 pm

You are going to blurb this blog into a cookbook, right? It's so pretty.

Katie @ goodLife {eats} - June 20, 2009 @ 12:18 am

Ashley – That was my plan originally. Not sure how long I should wait before I do it. There are so many recipes already!

Mixing Bowl Mama - June 20, 2009 @ 1:13 am

This looks great. We eat a lot of panini's as well…my maker is one of my favourite gadgets now. I love the combo of the apricot and the chicken…good for you and lucky for your family.

Peter Martin - June 20, 2009 @ 2:38 am

These sandwiches look awesome. Just recently came across your blog and happy that I did.

Jennifer - June 20, 2009 @ 11:24 am

I really must try this!! ive done similar but with other fruits. Thanks!!! You bread recipe looks amazing!

angela@spinachtiger - June 20, 2009 @ 1:36 pm

Lovely combo. Would be good for pizza too.

tastestopping - June 20, 2009 @ 1:47 pm

I just love it when what I have in the refrigerator cooperates to make such a perfect meal. Rarely happens, so I have to take comfort in other people's triumphs! It looks just delicious.I found you on TasteSpotting and am writing to say that if you have any photos that aren’t accepted there, I’d love to publish them. Visit my new site (below), it’s a lot of fun! I hope you will consider it.Best, CaseyEditorwww.tastestopping.wordpress.com

delightfullysweet - June 20, 2009 @ 9:06 pm

Going to have to try this. Looks amazing!

Amy - June 22, 2009 @ 2:18 pm

Oh my goodness, YUM! I am going to have to try that bread recipe! This looks absolutely divine!!

zoe - June 22, 2009 @ 4:12 pm

Wow this is just great! Creative leftover idea!

Kevin - July 04, 2009 @ 8:40 pm

I like adding jams to grilled cheese sandwiches and adding the apricots to this sandwich sounds good as well.

Amy - September 29, 2010 @ 4:11 pm

Did you use all AP flour for the focacia? Or do you think some WW flour would work as well?

Thanks!

• Katie Goodman

Katie replied: — September 29th, 2010 @ 4:23 PM

Hi Amy – at the time I used AP flour, but I feel confident that you could substitute half for either freshly ground whole white wheat flour or whole wheat pastry flour. I do that a lot in recipes now and they come out great. I just haven’t tried it yet with this particular one.