SEP

Top 5 Black Bean Recipes

Beans and Legumes | 16 comments

I love black beans.  I’m not ashamed to admit that I have half a shelf in my pantry devoted to them. And so today, I thought I’d share with you some of my favorite black bean dishes from the recipe index and a funny little story about beans.

top 5 black bean recipes

I have been hoping and hoping that Costco would get black beans in sometime so I could buy several at once and at a lower price. All they’ve had is pinto, re-fried beans, and ranch beans…but no black beans. A few weeks back Eric and Logan went to Costco for me. While Eric was shopping he spotted some cases of black beans and loaded up the cart with FOUR CASES of black beans!

What he didn’t know was that I had already bought about 10 cans the day before when I went to the grocery store. In the check out line someone asked him why on Earth he needed so many beans. He shrugged (or at least I imagine he probably did) and said “Just to have.” When he got home he told me that he had a present for me. I never would have guessed beans, but when he told me I was so excited!

Black Bean Dishes from the Recipe Archives:

It seems like I’m always buying black beans every time I go to the store. They’re so versatile so I end up using them a lot. Now you know what a black bean nerd I am! My pantry is all stocked up and ready for some new bean recipes. What do you have to share? What is your favorite black bean recipe?

Amy from She Wears Many Hats - September 17, 2010 @ 7:18 am

I love black beans too! They’re so versatile. Looking forward to chili weather to make a pot of black bean chili.

vanessa - September 17, 2010 @ 7:35 am

perfect timing!! i just prepped a whole bag of black beans and have no idea what to do with all of them before they go bad. thanks! :)

Kelly - September 17, 2010 @ 10:02 am

Black Bean Hummus!

marla - September 17, 2010 @ 7:47 pm

Katie, I love black beans too. As a matter of fact I did a lazy dinner tonight with ground turkey, a bunch of veggies & a few scoops from a jar of black bean sauce that I found in the pantry. Your recipes look great :)

DigiMom @ DigiCrumbs - September 18, 2010 @ 3:42 am

Wow, that’s a lot of beans! We love black beans too. :) One of our favorite recipes is Black Bean Lime Chili: http://www.digicrumbs.com/2009/09/black-bean-lime-chili-recipe.html

I’m looking forward to trying your black bean recipes. They all look delicious!

Lynn - September 18, 2010 @ 8:03 am

I love ALL kinds of beans. I also have a pantry full. Black, canellini, ceci, pinto, you name it!!! Love “refried”, altho I do not fry them, just mash up some of them black beans, love canellini or great northern in soups and pasta dishes. Yum. Love the white beans in salads. …. hmmm I’m getting an idea: beans and broccoli rabe… gotta go!!!!!!!!!

Meal Makeover Mom Janice - September 18, 2010 @ 10:33 am

I LOVE black beans. The chili sounds especially good. Great for football season!

Jessica - September 18, 2010 @ 5:19 pm
    Mrs. Mordecai - September 18, 2010 @ 7:13 pm

I love black beans, although unfortunately my four-year-old has developed a recent aversion to them. Two of my favorites:

Black Beans and Rice
    Black Bean Soup

Laura - September 18, 2010 @ 10:04 pm

I too love black beans! I especially love black beans with corn. Mmmmm…
    I may have to run to the grocery tomorrow so I can try some of these tasty looking recipes!
    Thanks for sharing!

leelu - September 19, 2010 @ 3:12 pm

I love “Spiced Black Bean Burgers”, Bon Appétit, July 1995

The cumin is the key. Serve with Guac … yum!

1Suki - September 21, 2010 @ 10:01 pm

Thank-you! Love black beans too. Learned to love them when I lived in New Mexico. I use them in many Mexican recipes. :) My favorite being chicken enchiladas.

Nisha - September 22, 2010 @ 11:33 pm

That’s funny! I’ve been out of black beans in my cold storage for a while and finally, a good case lot sale! I love salads that call for black beans. I can have just a salad for dinner if there are beans in it. Now I need to go check out that Quinoa Taco Salad recipe!

Jennifer - September 27, 2010 @ 10:34 am

I just came across your blog today and just last week I was trying to find good recipes for black beans. I have now hit the jackpot! Thanks (and I can’t wait to try some of your recipes, they look so yummy)

Renee - October 02, 2010 @ 8:21 pm
    Becky - September 15, 2011 @ 8:28 am

I share your love for black beans. I moved to France last year, and guess what? They don’t sell canned black beans at all! Can you imagine? At least I can find them dry, but man, how sad. No jalepenos either. Fighting back the tears.