Southwestern Black Bean Pasta
I shared this recipe this morning over at Good (&CHEAP) Eats for Jessica’s Building a Frugal Pantry series. Black beans are definitely a staple in our pantry! Just check out all these recipes I’ve made featuring black beans:
- Black Bean Breakfast Burritos
- Quinoa Taco Salad
- Chicken, Black Bean, and Spinach Enchiladas
- Black Bean and Zucchini Nachos
- Crispy Black Bean Tacos
This series that Jessica has going is a great resource for anyone needing a little encouragement and information on how to stock a pantry well, and frugally. My other posts in this series include 5 Grain Pancakes with Flax and Quinoa Stuffed Bell Peppers.
- 1 tablespoon Olive Oil
- 2 Green Bell Peppers, diced
- 1 Yellow Onion, diced
- 2 cloves minced Garlic
- 1 teaspoon Dried Oregano
- 1 teaspoon Ground Cumin
- 3 cans Black Beans, rinsed and drained
- 28 ounces Tomato Sauce
- 14 ounces Diced Tomatoes
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
- 1 lb Pasta of choice - penne, rigatoni, and shells all make great choices
- (penne, rigatoni, rotini, or shells all work great), cooked according to package instructions
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add the bell pepper and onion and saute until tender, about 3 - 5 minutes.
- Add the minced garlic, dried oregano, and ground cumin. Saute another minute, until fragrant.
- Stir in the black beans, tomato sauce, and diced tomatoes.
- Cook over medium heat until bubbling, then reduce and simmer for about 20 - 30 minutes.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Add prepared pasta to a large shallow bowl.
- Pour the black bean sauce over top.
- Serve, passing shredded cheese (if desired) for sprinkling over individual plates of pasta.
Ground beef cooked in taco seasoning or grilled Mexican chicken make great additions if you are looking to add meat to this meal.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition InformationYield 6 Serving Size 1
Amount Per ServingCalories 319 Total Fat 4g Saturated Fat 1g Trans Fat 0g Unsaturated Fat 3g Cholesterol 0mg Sodium 806mg Carbohydrates 58g Net Carbohydrates 0g Fiber 13g Sugar 9g Sugar Alcohols 0g Protein 15g