Easy Chocolate Gingerbread Cake
This recipe for Chocolate Gingerbread Cake takes the classic flavors of Gingerbread and pairs them with dark cocoa.
This cake takes about 10 minutes to throw together and bakes up deliciously.
We made it through Thanksgiving!
SIGH OF RELIEF!
I had my kids home with me this year which was an awesome change from spending most of the break alone last year.
I ended up hosting Thanksgiving this year at my house with a pretty big group of neighbor families.
It was my first year doing this since moving to Colorado 3 1/2 years ago.
I forgot how much work it is, but I was also reminded how much I enjoy cooking and sharing my kitchen with others.
Now that we’ve put Thanksgiving behind us,I am so ready to start with some Christmas baking…and so are my kiddos!
The Christmas tree is up and decorated, stockings hung, and Christmas music playing 24/7 (along with my own private karaoke party much to Logan’s dismay).
This Easy Chocolate Gingerbread Cake is super simple and the perfect way to ease into your Holiday baking if you’re still feeling a little tired from your Thanksgiving festivities.
Kids interested in doing a little solo holiday baking will love this recipe because it is simple enough for them to handle on their own.
Or for breakfast it pairs deliciously with Pumpkin Oatmeal Breakfast Smoothie. Because sometimes I like to eat cake for breakfast.
More Gingerbread Recipes to Try
Gingerbread is such a classic holiday flavor.
Here are several other ways to enjoy this iconic, tasty treat this December:
Two favorite holiday flavors- gingerbread and eggnog -collide in this dreamy Gingerbread Roll Cake with Eggnog Cream Filling.
A Browned Butter Gingerbread Skillet Cookie stuffed with melted Nutella with blow Logan’s mind!
You can’t go wrong with a classic Gingerbread Cut Out Cookie, but these Chocolate Gingerbread Cookies are a fun twist on the classic.
My kids would love waking up to a batch of these Pumpkin Gingerbread Muffins with Streusel.
Gingerbread Salted Caramels make a great homemade holiday gift.
Madeline would love this Easy 30-minute Gingerbread Granola.
Homemade Granola Bars are easy and delicious – try this recipe for Gingerbread Granola Bars, plus a formula for customizing your own granola bars however you like.
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon Ground Ginger
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened
- 1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 cup molasses
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- 1 cup boiling water
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Prepare a 9-inch square pan by lining it with parchment paper (Tip: How to Line Pans with Parchment Paper).
- In a medium bowl, combine the flour, cocoa powder, ground ginger, baking powder, baking soda, and cinnamon. Stir using a wire whisk until well mixed. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the butter, sugar, molasses, and vanilla extract. Mix with a handheld electric mixer on medium speed until the ingredients are well blended. Add the egg to the mixture and continue to mix over medium speed until combined.
- Add flour mixture alternately with the hot water, stirring with a wooden spoon just until mixed. Pour the batter into the prepared 9-inch square baking pan.
- Bake 30-40 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, at 350 degrees F on the center rack. Cool in pan on wire rack 10 minutes. Invert cake onto wire rack to cool completely.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition InformationYield 9 Serving Size 1
Amount Per ServingCalories 298 Total Fat 1g Saturated Fat 0g Trans Fat 0g Unsaturated Fat 1g Cholesterol 21mg Sodium 275mg Carbohydrates 67g Net Carbohydrates 0g Fiber 2g Sugar 38g Sugar Alcohols 0g Protein 5g