We have had on and off cold and beautiful weather. I think fall is trying to come to an end here and I’m not ready for that. This weekend was gorgeous on Saturday and cold again by Sunday. Cold weather makes me want to make a big hearty meal and so that is what we had. Split pea soup, rolls, and I even made dessert.
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/8 cup olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/8 tsp thyme
- 1 tsp parsley
- 1/2 lb. center-cut bacon, cooked and chopped
- 2 cups medium diced carrots
- 1 1/2 cup medium-diced red boiling potatoes, peeled
- 1 pound dried split green peas
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 2 c water
- In a 4-quart stockpot on medium heat, saute the onions and garlic with the olive oil, oregano, thyme, salt, and pepper until the onions are translucent, 10 to 15 minutes. Add 1/2 pound of split peas, bay leaf, chicken stock, and water.
- Bring to a boil, then simmer uncovered for 30 minutes. Add remaining 1/2 pound of split peas and bacon, simmer 15 minutes. Add parsley, carrots, and potatoes and simmer for 35 minutes. Serve.
Adapted from Parker's Split Pea Soup
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition InformationYield 8 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 262Total Fat 14gSaturated Fat 4gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 9gCholesterol 32mgSodium 1491mgCarbohydrates 20gFiber 5gSugar 7gProtein 15g
GoodLifeEats.com offers recipe nutritional information as a courtesy and is an estimate only. This information comes from online calculators. Although GoodLifeEats.com makes every effort to provide accurate information, these figures are only estimates.