We have had on and off cold and beautiful weather. I think fall is trying to come to an end here and I’m not ready for that. This weekend was gorgeous on Saturday and cold again by Sunday. Cold weather makes me want to make a big hearty meal and so that is what we had. Split pea soup, rolls, and I even made dessert.
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/8 cup olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/8 tsp thyme
- 1 tsp parsley
- 1/2 lb. center-cut bacon, cooked and chopped
- 2 cups medium diced carrots
- 1 1/2 cup medium-diced red boiling potatoes, peeled
- 1 pound dried split green peas
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 2 c water
- In a 4-quart stockpot on medium heat, saute the onions and garlic with the olive oil, oregano, thyme, salt, and pepper until the onions are translucent, 10 to 15 minutes. Add 1/2 pound of split peas, bay leaf, chicken stock, and water.
- Bring to a boil, then simmer uncovered for 30 minutes. Add remaining 1/2 pound of split peas and bacon, simmer 15 minutes. Add parsley, carrots, and potatoes and simmer for 35 minutes. Serve.
Adapted from Parker's Split Pea Soup
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition InformationYield 8 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 262 Total Fat 14g Saturated Fat 4g Trans Fat 0g Unsaturated Fat 9g Cholesterol 32mg Sodium 1491mg Carbohydrates 20g Net Carbohydrates 0g Fiber 5g Sugar 7g Sugar Alcohols 0g Protein 15g