Greek Lemon Oregano Chicken Skillet Dinner
I mentioned in my Kitchen Tip: Caring for Cast Iron post the other day how much I enjoy the flexibility of cast iron. It is so nice to be able to brown something on the stove and throw it (well, not literally) in the oven to finish up cooking. This Greek-Style Chicken Skillet Dinner is the perfect recipe to illustrate that concept.
I’ve enjoyed Roast Chicken several times this fall and winter season, but sometimes I want that same homey taste and smell in the house with a little less cooking time. I took one of my favorite roast chicken recipes from this season (Lemon and Oregano Roast Chicken) and adapted it based on a one dish skillet dinner recipe that I saw on Food Network’s website.
I don’t normally cook with chicken thighs, but the bone-in skin-on chicken breasts at my grocery store were just a little too large for my liking so I opted for the smaller thighs. This recipe could definitely be made with chicken breasts if you prefer.
This is a great recipe if you’re going for that roast chicken taste in a fraction of the time. Serve it with a side salad and you’re ready to go!
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Kosher salt, plus extra to season to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 cup fresh oregano leaves, plus 3 sprigs
- 4 cloves garlic
- 2 large lemons
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 skin-on, bone-in chicken thighs (6 to 8 ounces each)
- 3/4 pound small red-skinned potatoes, halved, or quartered if large
- 1 large purple onion, cut into wedges
- 1/2 cup kalamata olives, pitted
- Preheat the oven to 450.
- Add the 1/4 cup oregano leaves, garlic, 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, juice and zest of one lemon, and olive oil to a small food processor and pulse into a paste. Transfer the mixture to a bowl large enough to fit the chicken. Add the chicken to the bowl, stirring to coat.
- Place a large cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat. Remove chicken from the bowl, reserving the extra lemon mixture. Add the chicken breasts, skin-side down, cover and cook until the skin browns, about 5 minutes. Turn the chicken so the skin faces up. Place a few oregano leaves from one of the sprigs under the skin of each thigh. Then, add potatoes, onion and kalamata olives to the skillet and with the reserved lemon mixture.
- Place the reserved, squeezed lemon halves to the pan. Transfer the pan, uncovered, to the oven. Roast for 20-25 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through and skin is crisp.
- Serve garnished with lemon slices from the additional lemon and sprinkled with fresh oregano from 2 sprigs.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition InformationYield 4 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 312Total Fat 15gSaturated Fat 3gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 12gCholesterol 42mgSodium 968mgCarbohydrates 36gFiber 6gSugar 4gProtein 12g