Admittedly, I have never been a huge fan of cooked vegetable side dishes.
I would normally choose a fresh salad or crudités over cooked veggies.
This Sweet Braised Kale, however, has stolen my heart.
Braising is the most delightful way to cook greens like Kale.
Without over-cooking and creating mushy greens, braising tenderizes the leaves and adds flavor.
In this recipe, the kale is paired with the sweet flavors of apples and apple cider.
The toasted nuts add a bit of crunch and texture, keeping every bite sweet and delicious.
These sweet, flavor filled greens are easy to eat on their own.
It makes an excellent side dish, easily paired with a simple meat dish or pasta.
Because it has been such a big hit at my house, even with the kids, I’m adding it to our Thanksgiving Menu too!
These greens are also delicious paired with a thick slice of crusty bread for an easy, healthy appetizer.
Cooked vegetables like this always look, well, pretty green, if you know that I mean.
The first bite will convert you though, I promise.
This Sweet Braised Kale is unexpectedly good and I don’t doubt it will steal your heart too. Enjoy!
- 1 large bunch of curly kale, washed and destemmed
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium honey crisp apple, grated (unpeeled is fine)
- 1/2 cup walnuts, coarsely chopped
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons apple cider
- 1 tablespoon tamari, or soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon unfiltered apple cider vinegar
- Tear the washed, de-stemmed kale leaves into bite-size pieces.
- In a large skillet, melt butter over medium-low heat. Add the walnuts and sauté for 2 or 3 minutes. Add the grated apple and sauté for another 3 minutes or until the apple begins to soften. Sprinkle sugar over the apple and walnuts, stirring to coat. Add the kale leaves and sauté over medium heat until the leaves begin to turn bright green.
- In a small bowl, combine cider and tamari. Pour into skillet and cover tightly. Cook for 5 minutes, or until greens are tender. Leaves should be green and tasty, not bitter when done. Toss with teaspoon of cider vinegar and serve.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition InformationYield 6 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 143Total Fat 12gSaturated Fat 4gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 7gCholesterol 15mgSodium 366mgCarbohydrates 10gFiber 2gSugar 6gProtein 2g
GoodLifeEats.com offers recipe nutritional information as a courtesy and is an estimate only. This information comes from online calculators. Although GoodLifeEats.com makes every effort to provide accurate information, these figures are only estimates.