Black Bean-Taco Salad with Lime Vinaigrette
This recipe and the pictures have been sitting on the computer for a while now. I’ve been meaning to post it, but somehow other recipes always took priority. It’s not that this salad wasn’t good – it was great! Fresh tasting, easy to make, healthy. I happened to like the dressing especially and switching to blue corn chips made it so colorful! But, still, for some reason it just sat there waiting it’s turn. Good to have ready on a night like tonight when though yummy, dinner didn’t exactly turn out very photogenic.
The original recipe called for chicken; I suppose you could also use some browned and seasoned ground beef, but it was a busy night and I didn’t want an extra step. Funny because just today I commented to my friend on how I’ve been making more meatless meals lately and she said she had noticed as well. Not in an attempt to be vegetarian, but sometimes getting dinner together is quicker if you don’t have to deal with meat. Meatless meals are also a great way to use up lots of leftover vegetables that might be hanging around.
To add back to the bulk of the salad, I substituted some corn. I thought this would be a great salad to repeat with fresh summer corn – cooked on the grill first, and then cut off the cob. I’m hungry just thinking about it.
- 1/4 c chopped seeded tomato
- 1/4 c chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 Tbs olive oil
- 1 Tbs cider vinegar
- 1 tsp grated lime rind
- 1 Tbs fresh lime juice
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp chili powder
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 garlic clove, peeled
- 8 c thinly sliced romaine lettuce
- 1 c chopped tomato
- 1 c chopped green bell pepper
- 1 c finely diced red onion
- 1 1/2 c frozen corn kernels
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 (15-ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 4 cups organic blue corn tortilla chips (about 4 ounces)
- To prepare vinaigrette, combine first 11 ingredients in a blender or food processor; process until smooth.
- To prepare salad, combine lettuce and remaining ingredients except chips in a large bowl. Add vinaigrette; toss well to coat. Serve with chips.
adapted from Cooking Light
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition InformationYield 4 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 402Total Fat 16gSaturated Fat 3gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 12gCholesterol 3mgSodium 293mgCarbohydrates 58gFiber 11gSugar 10gProtein 12g