Raspberry Curd is the perfect way to use up extra egg yolks and fresh or frozen raspberries.
This post for raspberry curd was written by: Erica Kastner of Buttered Side Up
I must admit that I didn’t think that this curd was going to be spectacular.
With my first bite of a buttery English muffin spread with this lovely red curd, I was sold.
The fat from the butter and egg yolks mellows out the sourness of the raspberries without adding heaps of sugar.
But it doesn’t mask it completely – that pleasant tanginess still lingers.
You can eat this stuff with a spoon (which my husband does).
I can imagine many uses for this pretty condiment: spread on toast, scones, or biscuits, or as an ice cream topping.
Or, my favorite, with a cup of tea and English muffin.
The dangerous part is that it’s super easy to make.
Just put all of the ingredients in a pot, cook until thickened and strain.
Now I know what I should make with all of the raspberries we have in the freezer.
What’s your favorite thing to spread on toast/scones/biscuits?
- 12 ounces frozen raspberries, completely thawed
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
- 3/4 evaporated cane juice (or granulated sugar)
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed grapefruit juice (or lemon juice)
- 6 large egg yolks
- pinch of salt
- Have ready a fine-mesh sieve placed over a heat-proof bowl.
- In a medium, heavy bottomed saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat.
- Add the berries and any juices, sugar, grapefruit juice, egg yolks and salt.
- Cook over medium, stirring frequently and mashing the berries, until thickened, about 5-10 minutes.
- Strain through the prepared sieve, mashing the berries with a spoon.
- Discard the seeds and other solids.
- Give the curd in the bowl a stir, let cool slightly and press plastic wrap onto the surface.
- Cover and refrigerate until completely cooled.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition InformationYield 8 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 86Total Fat 4gSaturated Fat 1gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 2gCholesterol 163mgSodium 71mgCarbohydrates 6gFiber 3gSugar 2gProtein 6g